Bad
Good

Posted September 18, 2011
i visited this school recently and one of my adolescent relatives was enrolled and we are very impressed with this school, the staff, the curriculum and the fact that is is a school that promotes a democratic philosophy if amazing. its truly about the students in this school. i love that there is so much academic and social involvement between the students and staff. the student body is very diverse, the small class atmosphere allows for a personable environment which i think is very important in high school. we also love that the students are encouraged to take college preparatory courses in their junior/senior year. i thinks its an excellent school.

Posted September 10, 2011
We are sorry that the parent below from February 2011 is dissatisfied with the school. However, it's not useful for them to disseminate information about the school which is not factual. It is factual data that Humanities Preparatory Academy had a 4-year graduation rate of 83% for school year 2009- 2010, and a 95% graduation rate for school year 2010-2011. This compares very favorably to the citywide graduation rate of 60%. Parents should check this with the NYC DOE so that they can be sure they have the most accurate profile and information about the school.

Posted September 08, 2011
i just started attending the scho0l today on september 8and i feel realy great and made a lot of friends.

Humanities Preparatory Academy 1

Posted February 10, 2011
Touted for its small class sizes, the fact remains that Humanities Prep is below par academically. Truancy rates are high and four-year graduation rates are low (less than 6 out of 10 graduate within four years). If you hope to prepare your children with an education and the basic study skills required for college, this is not the school for you.

Humanities Preparatory Academy 4

Posted June 10, 2010
I have taught at Prep for 6 years. To me Prep is a school that is always in flux - and that's a good thing. As teachers we constantly try to research, adapt and assess our own school to meet the needs of our ever changing population (incoming freshmen and transfer students). We have many things on our side: Our student population is 185, we are part of the New York State Consortium which means we have a waiver from the Regents except for ELA, we have a more rigorous and authentic assessment in its place (performance based assessment task / PBAT / like a mini masters thesis), we have a strong positive school culture (restorative justice instead of punitive methods, teachers on a first name basis, student-centered classes and afterschool activities, strong parent outreach, core values, great staff). I would send my daughter to this school.

Humanities Preparatory Academy 2

Posted June 06, 2010
I came to this school from a much larger one and the only positive thing about the institution is that it's smaller in size. I have only been in the school for four months and I have gone through more drama then being in my old school for an entire year. When I was visiting all the students were telling me not to come and that I would not be challenged. All the kids were right except for the SAT math class. You get to pick all your classes , but they are completely boring and many kids don't come to class. Instead of the regents you take this thing called PBAT. The teachers aren't really nice and I get missed with from time to time. Most of the the students instigate drama and I have experienced this alot. I'm not saying don't come, but there are better places to go.

Humanities Preparatory Academy 4

Posted September 09, 2003
I feel that the Principal in this School should be more considerate of the students feelings. However the staff was great, especially some of the teachers and I highly reccomend it.

Humanities Preparatory Academy
351 West 18th Street, New York, NY  10011
Last modified Humanities Preparatory Academy is a Public school that serves grades 9-12. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 5 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Humanities Preparatory Academy Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 10 reviews. Top