Posted June 25, 2014
This school is a great school I am a sister and my brother has developed so much from this and he reads big words like its nothing and he used to struggle a bit with it. My cousin is coming soon and I feel that this school can help her get her grades up. Ella baker is a school with hands on activities, thorough work and exersice with josh on a daily basis. Everyone is so welcoming you would want to stay here until 8th grade which I am. And so is my brother and my cousin and so many people that have been here since day one. Josh may be a little harsh on fairness but it's all for the better he walks throughout the hall giving high five telling people to have a good day etc. overall Ella baker is an awesome school that everyone should consider

Posted April 29, 2014
very community based and knows each child very well. I feel lucky that my child goes to this school.

Posted October 03, 2013
Ella Baker follows a progressive educational model, is small, and brings students together from across New York City. You really have to want this for your child to be here with joy. We live in a school district that does not have this type of school available. We consider ourselves quite fortunate to have discovered Ella Baker. Our daughter (pre-k) loves this place. In the mornings, she leaps into school and runs down the hall happy to be there. At home, she casually talks about what she has learned. Her teachers have been so welcoming and supportive. We like the trips which support the learning taking place in the classroom. We like that staff want to be there. We like that the schools co-located in the building have a good relationship with each other. Unfortunately, I think the change in recent years by DOE in how pre-k seats are distributed has affected the school's stability between pre-k and k. I hope the school can manage this change. I also wish the overall parent body was more active. There is a strong core of parent leaders, but the city wide reach of the school may impact the level of overall involvement.

Ella Baker School 2

Posted September 03, 2013
My child is going to second grade and still struggles in reading. I think the school should invest more in teach writing and reading more than drawing, painting, coloring... Going to the Bronx zoo and taking the kids ice skating doesn't make it a good school. No books or notebooks are required. Homework only once or twice a week, and 1 or 2 pages.

Posted May 20, 2013
If you are a parent who believe that children learn best when they are happy (which studies show is true), this school is for you. They focus on creativity and student led learning. So many schools are trying to cram a bunch of facts into kids heads. Here students learn through hands on activities, there is work time every day where students can choose from a list of activities, in K its pretend, blocks, sand table, water, writing, art, etc. Really involved calm happy class rooms with experienced teachers that have been there a long time. Very happy with the school.

Posted April 02, 2013
I have a child graduating this year. She has been at Ella Baker since kindergarten. I think it is an excellent school. She has excelled well with the program which I thought at times was too liberal. But time has proved it has been successful. She has been excepted into every school she applied for as her first choice. She will be attending a very elite school next September. She has learned to be a very outgoing person and has made some lasting friends. I think the teaching staff is excellent and over the years have gotten to know they really care about the students. It has been an excellent nine years being involved with Ella Baker.

Ella Baker School 5

Posted April 01, 2013
A wonderful, small, progressive school with a play-based curriculum. Amazing teachers, great student to teacher ratio. Children love to learn at Ella Baker. It's like a small town school in the big city.

Posted February 02, 2013
I'm a mom of Pre-k child.. Wonderful teachers! They really take care of our children.. They check if our kids are happy, if they eat well, if they have fun and what they need!!!!! This happen every single day!!!!

Ella Baker School 1

Posted March 03, 2012
I agree with the struggling student below. My advise to you is get a tutor quickly. I took my child out of the school but I wish I would have donr it sooner. Parents when you have your child take an independent test is when you will truly realize how much they don't know. Also the student are correct the prior graduating classes are struggling my child never had to write a book report or work on a project independently. Everything was done in school and now he struggles to work independently and complete a project. I have been to many orientations and curriculum nights and again the student comments below are correct its all repetative. The principals daughter attends the school and that age group gets to utilize all the extra funding. Also the community coordinators out of control daughter attends as well. This place is a friendly daycare but the children need to be educated. The math teaching is a joke the kids just don't get it the way they teach and they are extremely scattered. The school leadership team is a joke they never discuss the budget or try to get the student outside help the Principal hides everything she is a sneaky slick lady. Get your kids or her out of there.

Ella Baker School 1

Posted March 02, 2012
I have been a student in Eb for a long time and I want to seriously inform others I deeply regret going there. I hardly learned anything my entire time there because many of the kids where struggling, and not because our curriculum was stimulating or challenging, but because we simply didn't really have strong foundation on any of the major core subjects. The students that were actually capable were dragged because others were failing, in response our teachers would make us review simple math and English rules over and over, which we were supposed to master in 5th or 6th?! Also the teachers can seriously be unorganized. We would work on one project then jump to another without completing the other. Student are barely given opportunity to express ourselves in a variety of extra curriculum too. There isn't that much to do. The only thing I liked in EB was how cool the staff was. They are really kind and concerned for the kids. The school is like a big happy family, but as a student I felt like I needed to put my future before my social life. EB is undergoing many changes, some good and bad, but overall it needs to improve a lot, starting from when the kids are at a young age.
2 people found this helpful

Ella Baker School
317 E 67th St, New York, NY  10021
Last modified Ella Baker School is a Public school that serves grades PK-8. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 7 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Ella Baker School Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 29 reviews. Top