Bad
Good

Currently, most people answered Strongly disagree (1 response)
Currently, most people answered Strongly disagree (1 response)

Handles bullying effectively: Strongly disagree

We joined Ella Baker with great hopes. We loved its mission statement. Unfortunately, my son was bullied (verbally harassed, intimidated and hit quite violently several times) by the son of teacher, long time colleague of the principal. The principal declined to follow mandated DoE guidelines properly. No documents were ever filed with the aggressor's name. Principal Laura Garcia just tasked the teachers with more "monitoring". My son kept being threatened. We had no option but to leave and they recorded the transfer as "my choice".

Absolutely the very worst in education, they sing, dance, act, paint and draw but what about the real academic needs of the kids. They tell you they will do all sorts of things to help your child but it's all lies, they pretend that they a cash strapped and that's a lie too. So many struggling students I have never seen before. They have no control over indiscipline and they continue to keep these types of students in classes where they continue to disrupt classes. The teachers that really care are powerless to function effectively because the leadership keeps them quiet, hence so many effective teachers have just packed it in and fled in horror and disgust. Run fast past this school if you truly value your children and their future.

If listening to children is important to you. If singing in the classroom is important to you. If diversity is important to you. If happiness in the classroom is important to you. If loving school and preserving childhood is important to you. If progressive education that attracts incredible teachers is important to you. Ella Baker delivers -- on all fronts.

EBS is a great school evironment with an open community of admin, staff and families that work collectively to accomplish long term and short term goals for the betterment of our children's educational experience and development.

My son is in Kindergarten at Ella Baker. He attended a Montessori pre-k and seems to be flourishing in his new environment. The diversity in the school is refreshing. The commitment to learning at different speeds -also worth replicating. While the school exists within a huge conglomeration of multiple schools within a large building, the facilities (while dated) seem to possess a warm vibe and it didn't take my son long before he was parking his scooter and finding his art on the walls. While the jury is not out yet, we are very happy with our decision to go here at this point (half way through our first year).

My child absolutely loves The Ella Baker School. The progressive education model that this school offers is a wonderful way for students to learn. We feel extremely grateful to have our child enrolled in this school. It is a school deeply immersed in the Arts and common core is not center stage in the cirriculum. The Ella Baker School is Is a very special place, a rare find in the NYC public school system.

This is a small school where children are allowed to make choices and follow their interests. The teachers have been there a long time and the principal and assitant principal are warm and caring. Students stay with the same teacher for two years in a row and classes combine two grades, k/1, 2/3 etc. The whole student body goes ice skating at central park throughout the winter and grades 2 and 3 have weekly swim lessons. Ella Baker is a gem of a school. See inside schools.org for more info.

This school is a great school I am a sister and my brother has developed so much from this and he reads big words like its nothing and he used to struggle a bit with it. My cousin is coming soon and I feel that this school can help her get her grades up. Ella baker is a school with hands on activities, thorough work and exersice with josh on a daily basis. Everyone is so welcoming you would want to stay here until 8th grade which I am. And so is my brother and my cousin and so many people that have been here since day one. Josh may be a little harsh on fairness but it's all for the better he walks throughout the hall giving high five telling people to have a good day etc. overall Ella baker is an awesome school that everyone should consider

very community based and knows each child very well. I feel lucky that my child goes to this school.

Last modified Ella Baker School is a Public school that serves grades PK-8. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 7 out of 10 based on academic quality.