Bad
Good

If listening to children is important to you. If singing in the classroom is important to you. If diversity is important to you. If happiness in the classroom is important to you. If loving school and preserving childhood is important to you. If progressive education that attracts incredible teachers is important to you. Ella Baker delivers -- on all fronts.

EBS is a great school evironment with an open community of admin, staff and families that work collectively to accomplish long term and short term goals for the betterment of our children's educational experience and development.

My son is in Kindergarten at Ella Baker. He attended a Montessori pre-k and seems to be flourishing in his new environment. The diversity in the school is refreshing. The commitment to learning at different speeds -also worth replicating. While the school exists within a huge conglomeration of multiple schools within a large building, the facilities (while dated) seem to possess a warm vibe and it didn't take my son long before he was parking his scooter and finding his art on the walls. While the jury is not out yet, we are very happy with our decision to go here at this point (half way through our first year).

My child absolutely loves The Ella Baker School. The progressive education model that this school offers is a wonderful way for students to learn. We feel extremely grateful to have our child enrolled in this school. It is a school deeply immersed in the Arts and common core is not center stage in the cirriculum. The Ella Baker School is Is a very special place, a rare find in the NYC public school system.

This is a small school where children are allowed to make choices and follow their interests. The teachers have been there a long time and the principal and assitant principal are warm and caring. Students stay with the same teacher for two years in a row and classes combine two grades, k/1, 2/3 etc. The whole student body goes ice skating at central park throughout the winter and grades 2 and 3 have weekly swim lessons. Ella Baker is a gem of a school. See inside schools.org for more info.

This school is a great school I am a sister and my brother has developed so much from this and he reads big words like its nothing and he used to struggle a bit with it. My cousin is coming soon and I feel that this school can help her get her grades up. Ella baker is a school with hands on activities, thorough work and exersice with josh on a daily basis. Everyone is so welcoming you would want to stay here until 8th grade which I am. And so is my brother and my cousin and so many people that have been here since day one. Josh may be a little harsh on fairness but it's all for the better he walks throughout the hall giving high five telling people to have a good day etc. overall Ella baker is an awesome school that everyone should consider

very community based and knows each child very well. I feel lucky that my child goes to this school.

Ella Baker follows a progressive educational model, is small, and brings students together from across New York City. You really have to want this for your child to be here with joy. We live in a school district that does not have this type of school available. We consider ourselves quite fortunate to have discovered Ella Baker. Our daughter (pre-k) loves this place. In the mornings, she leaps into school and runs down the hall happy to be there. At home, she casually talks about what she has learned. Her teachers have been so welcoming and supportive. We like the trips which support the learning taking place in the classroom. We like that staff want to be there. We like that the schools co-located in the building have a good relationship with each other. Unfortunately, I think the change in recent years by DOE in how pre-k seats are distributed has affected the school's stability between pre-k and k. I hope the school can manage this change. I also wish the overall parent body was more active. There is a strong core of parent leaders, but the city wide reach of the school may impact the level of overall involvement.

My child is going to second grade and still struggles in reading. I think the school should invest more in teach writing and reading more than drawing, painting, coloring... Going to the Bronx zoo and taking the kids ice skating doesn't make it a good school. No books or notebooks are required. Homework only once or twice a week, and 1 or 2 pages.

Teachers and staff at Ella Baker are all great - they are passionate ,attentive and kind. School learning is based on various hands-on and research projects. So many extra curricular activities are going on and kids are "happily" busy all the time. I don't believe schools being rated based on the test scores. I surely know my kids are learning everyday - It is wonderful school.

Last modified Ella Baker School is a Public school that serves grades PK-8. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 7 out of 10 based on academic quality.