/ School Profile
New York, NY

Posted October 27, 2014
A gem on the Upper East Side, St. Stephen's is truly a wonderful neighborhood school. With its small class size and supportive environment, any child would thrive. My husband and I are both products of Catholic education and when we were looking for a school for our child, we were thrilled to find St. Stephen's. It is of great importance that our child comes away with a deeper understanding of their faith and coupled with daily religion classes and weekly Mass, St. Stephen's has encouraged an awareness of the powerful role the students play in giving back to the larger community. St. Stephen's has taken an active role in many Service Projects and as an active parent in the school, I am thrilled to be a member of this Community.

Posted October 26, 2014
As a faculty member I feel lucky to be a part of this great community. I have worked at a number of schools and I have never come across a more active and caring parent body. My colleagues are supportive and always willing to help me. The administration is always available for questions and concerns. The overall feeling of the school is warm and nurturing while challenging everyone to be life long learners.

Posted October 24, 2014
I am horrified at the post dated August 16th, 2014. This school is a wonderful school with an amazing faculty and administration. The community support is extraordinary and the students are happy and lucky to be educated in such a warm and nurturing environment. I have 2 children in the school and have been a very active parent in the school community for the last 3 years. I have no hesitation in recommending this school to any parent who wants a great education in a great environment, with a plethora of extra curricular activity choices as an added bonus! I guess the negative review came from a parent who didn't make it through the admissions process!

Posted September 08, 2014
Fantastic school! Teachers are passionate about teaching and very caring toward children. Children learn a great deal while being surrounded by a great sense of community. Paying so little for excellent private education is such a blessing.

St. Stephen of Hungary School 1

Posted August 16, 2014
Yeah..this is not a good school. The administration is young and inexperienced. Place is underfunded. Not very Catholic in practice. Not a PhD on the staff which is the norm for the better private and public schools in Manhattan. If your kid can't get in anywhere else, I guess this is an ok choice if you don't live by PS 6 or PS 290 Otherwise, buh bye Stevie.
3 people found this helpful

Posted September 20, 2013
I am impressed! My daughter is in kindergarten here, and her teacher is amazingly poised and caring. The parents very involved in making the school the best it can be, and the principal and staff are top notch. I feel so lucky to be a part of this school, and i think my daughter is really going to thrive here.

Posted May 11, 2013
St. Stephen's supersedes our expectations. We started at the school two years ago thinking we would leave the city after Pre-Kindergarten. St. Stephen is the reason we we are staying in the city. We cannot imagine being part of any other community. It is truly warm, nurturing and caring. I know each and every teacher and administrator cares about my son and daughter. The teachers have always gone above and beyond to communicate concerns and help us to be involved in our son's academic life. He is in PK and he is already reading. We are looking forward to Kindergarten next year and know we will forever feel grateful to have found St. Stephen of Hungary School.

St. Stephen of Hungary School 3

Posted February 04, 2013
My children currently attend St. Stephens , and as much as I want to say many great things - my jury is still out. It appears the Schools recent success of publicity and waiting list status is changing the culture from when I attended my 1st open house ( From we are thrilled to have you in our 21st century nurturing environment to - here is how its going to be old school Catholic School attitude ) It also seems that family's are being rated on their fund raising ability in lieu of substance and participation. There also seems to be a shift of leadership from current principal to the assistant principal which would also change the culture greatly. The family's are wonderful , the feeling of community is absolutely there and the potential for this school to be unique is also here. However like all things that grow to fast - attention is sometimes not focused in the right areas . Growing pains are great but lack of attention to whats important is not. Hopefully the growing pains wont last long.

Posted January 29, 2013
As we were preparing to enroll our son in his 3rd year at St. Stephen of Hungary, Mrs. Peck told us about a new program they were starting for 1 1/2 - 2 1/2 year olds. This was a perfect fit for our family. Our daughter is attending the St. Stephen of Hungary Early Birds Program and is benefiting from the same nurturing, talented and dedicated staff as her brother. We are thrilled to know that she will be continuing on in September at "The Big School". As we watch our son and daughter grow and learn every day, we realize that we have found something very special at SSH. We look forward to helping our children develop strong relationships within their school community. SSH is the environment where they can develop as an individual, as a part of the community, maintain friendships, and so much more while keeping with Christian values and traditions. We as a family feel the warmth of the entire SSH school community, from the school-wide morning prayers and pledge to the extra-curricular events and programs offered. We are truly blessed to be part of the St. Stephen of Hungary Community.

St. Stephen of Hungary School 1

Posted December 28, 2012
I took my 2 year old DD for an admission playdate last month. First she separated well but then started crying once in the room with the school teachers and other kids. So one of the teachers just sent my daughter back (which is fine) but I was told they would call me back to reschedule the assessment IF THEY ARE STILL INTERESTED. They never did. Yet still took $200 application fees.
2 people found this helpful

St. Stephen of Hungary School
408 E 82nd St, New York, NY  10028
(212) 288-1989
Last modified St. Stephen of Hungary School is a Private school that serves grades PK-8
St. Stephen of Hungary School Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 36 reviews. Top