9-12|Private

Bad
Good

Ok. So I am a senior at SVF. I want to warn anyone who comes to this school. First clubs, there are clubs at SVF but they hardly meet. There might as well be no clubs. I was in the science club last year and this year we wanted to have it again but because the teachers running the program didn't care it just went under. The only clubs that meet are either pushed my the teacher in charge or the students themselves meet up and talk. So don't believe it when the school says they have clubs. Next sports, I actually was on the teams in volleyball and basketball so I know a bit of how things work. The good: the girls on the team do tend to have a strong bond and they play great. The bad: no one besides the girls on the team and there friends care about sports in our school. Since I was on the team I had to go to most of the games and literally there was no one ever present at games. I felt so bad because the girls would work hard and yet no one would ever come to the games. That being said the teams did win a lot so that's good but unless you were part of the team no one cared. Sports didn't really matter at SVF. Next teachers, ok so a few teachers out there actually care about you and want you to succeed (Mr. Smithers, Mr. Peck) but most teachers you could tell just come for the paycheck. They give you homework and test and then that's it. I know the school says they have after school tutoring and all that. The problem with that is that no one ever goes. Literally the tutors (which are SVF girls) sit there and wait maybe 10 minutes and if no one comes they leave. One time I needed help in Algebra 2/ Trig I went to see if the tutor was there and nope no one was there. The grading system seems so corrupt at SVF. If you get a awesome grade your average would only go up like 3 points but if you screw up and fail something your grade goes down 20 points. No lie this has happened to me. Also your schedule...Ok so during your freshman and sophomore years you take the basic courses so you schedule doesn't really matter. When it comes to your junior and senior year however it matters. The school does not care about what classes you need to take and what classes you don't. My friend for instance didn't need to take music because she was done with her art credits and guess what they gave her. Now she tried to back out of the class but they said no.

Develops character: Strongly disagree

The students have empathy, compassion and respect for human dignity at this school?????? Glad you three people think so! Your daughters must be very popular! If what you say is true then why are some girls shunned every day and people move away when they try to sit with them. New parents... your daughter will be in a school where the students degrade others and cause them to spend lunch hour crying in the bathroom.

Teacher effectiveness: Neutral

Grading system is weird. In alot of the classes it seems that if you fail something the grade goes down by alot of points but if you pass the same kind of quiz for example the grade only goes up by 1 or 2 points.

This is a very goods school education wise. However the kids are very clique oriented and the school inclusion policy is not enforced. There was a safety issue this year concerning the lives of students and faculty. God only knows if the person who made the threat was ever found.

Develops character: Strongly agree

The culture is very strong. They respect human dignity in all of its forms. They promote an atmosphere of mutual respect.

My daughter has thrived at Saint Vincent Ferrer. It is a wonderful school with great, caring teachers. My daughter has met and befriended a lot of great girls and she loves going to school. The work is challenging but the teachers provide great support.

Amount of homework: Agree

Of course, if you plan on taking more arduous courses, there will be more homework. It is fairly manageable, but there will definitely be some nights when you'll be exhausted.

First, Saint Vincent Ferrer is not an easy school. You will be academically challenged, especially if you plan on taking advanced courses, but there will always be various forms of aid to guide you. Most of the teachers are extremely willing to go above and beyond to help their students. Furthermore, it offers a wide array of extracurricular activities. There are various opportunities for students to be involved in not only the school, but also the community. Thus, there will never be a secluded student in this school, and you will never find a more welcoming environment.

So far my daughter and I are so disappointed with the school and some of the faculty. This school came highly recommended and we were so excited that she was going there but that has changed. Let me start by stating that my daughter is no stranger to the catholic school system. She has attended since kindergarten but since coming here her views have changed a bit. She doesn't feel supported is willing to travel to a school father away with hopes of getting better support and a better phys Ed program. Also I find there is no effort from the teachers or the principal to support the freshman (I'm trying to be general in hopes that my daughter isn't being picked on). And that's only one issue. There are many more limitations unfortunately. Favoritism is rampant unfortunately. The academics are decent but teaching styles are not always great; they do offer after school help for some subjects which is good. They also don't alway have room in the honors classes for all eligible students so a student may miss out on the opportunity to be challenged which I feel is unfair. In my opinion this is not a great school. It's just an ok one. We are again, very disappointed.

I'm a parent to a freshman, who is apart of the class of 2018. I have another daughter who is a senior this year who will be graduating in the next month. To be completely honest I was so happy with this school when my daughter who is a senior, was first starting out. Now that my other daughter is a freshman this school has definitely degraded and the students are held on a standard if they are a freshman, sophomore, junior, senior. I would expect that from a public school not from a catholic school. Everything is a double standard and the rules for one have become more strict and a lot more ridiculous. The students are not heard and not listened to and neither are the parents. If you want to deal with the aggravation go ahead and send your daughter here. I wouldn't recommend it. My daughter who is a freshman gets at least four hours of homework and is in no honors classes.

Last modified St Vincent Ferrer High School is a Private school that serves grades 9-12