Posted July 24, 2014
This school is a gem. The principal in the early childhood campus makes every child feel welcomed and special. She greets and addresses each child in the morning by their names. The elementary school is a stricter environment where children learn to be responsible and respectful. The principal in the elementary school is also very approachable. There are these parents that want to run the school because they feel that they are paying and have the right. My child is heading to second grade. His kindergarten and 1st grade teachers have prepared him well for second grade. Love this school!

Posted April 27, 2014
I have two children who attends this school. One child struggles and the other does well academically. The support the school provide for both children is beyond excellent. The school caters to the child who struggles with immense help in order for that child to perform at the same level as his peers. The Other child who does well is constantly encouraged, motivated, and challenged to reach his highest potential. It seems that both children are getting the individualized attention they need. As a parent, I cannot ask for more.

Posted February 22, 2014
This school provides a well rounded program and my child gets the necessary support from teachers and staff to develop. In addition to academics, my child has opportunities to grow in music, public speaking, and art. The school is able to give professional evaluation of my child's unique development. My child started as a selective mute at this school in early childhood level and then gradually received support to speak up and excel. In seven years at this school, my child found many public speaking opportunities: reading scripture at school mass, giving presentation in class, giving small talk to share reading experience with younger students at summer school, and competing at speech bee. It is a great school not just for those destined to go to specialized high school, but also for those who are motivated and those who believe they can find their strength with discipline.

Transfiguration School 2

Posted February 06, 2014
The school is very strict about education. Their good academic results are due to all the additional courses their students take on weekends. Students are learning in a robotic way, there is very little room for thinking creatively. Children just need to be obedient otherwise they will try to push you out. The administration has low ethics and the principal shows poor leadership and is seen as god by parents.

Posted September 24, 2013
Former student, transferred to public school. The principal and teachers are strict but still not that hard on you. Great school as always.

Transfiguration School 2

Posted June 05, 2013
I am a former student who transferred to Transfiguration from public school. The atmosphere was completely different to what I was fimiliar with, therefore I stuggled to adjust. The system is extremely strict and will not tolerate anything but perfection. However this is not the reason for the high test scores and grades. Every student goes to tutoring on the weekend and in the summer. They have an amazing sports program know as TJBA. It is a free volunteer based program run by the gym teacher Mr.Maher which takes place every sunday. It coaches all 3 popular sports, track volleyball and basketball throughout the year. Besides Mr.Maher other coaches include alumni from Transfiguration and the other participating school St.James. It's sad to say that most of the students who use the program are Transfiguration students however almost none of them come back to coach. The program is suffering due to th lack Transfiguration students who come back to volunteer. Overall the school has a great students, okay teachers and an extremely strict atmosphere.

Transfiguration School 4

Posted April 26, 2013
Former student, currently studying at a graduate program at Columbia University. I graduated in 2004. I'll break it down into several parts: Academics: Definitely superior. Of course, compared to the general public schooling system in NYC, that's not saying too much. But regardless, this school is certainly above average and gave me a head start in high school. Religion: I'm personally agnostic and I appreciate the fact that this school did not shove religion down our throats. Rather, they taught religion AND science, and allowed us to come up with our own views. Compared to religious schools in other parts of the country, this is something that I truly appreciate. (Just take a look at current events, you'll see the controversial creationism-only schools). Discipline: Relatively speaking, the punishments (500-word essays) were somewhat overbearing. However, reflecting on my own life and on those of my peers, who I still keep in touch with, we are all very considerate and well-mannered individuals. And no, they don't hit you here. However, I still distinctly recall several instances where the afterschool teachers were disrespectful to students., hence the 4-star rating.

Transfiguration School 1

Posted March 24, 2013
I think the administration is flooding this site with positive reviews. It's a basic fact that the "Tiger Moms" and private tutors have led to the continual success of students at this school. The students (I am an ex-student with a sister currently enrolled) thought the "Blue Ribbon" award was a joke. It just seems that Catholic school teachers are not as good as public school teachers and I would say this is the case at this school. As you can see from other reviews, there are problems here and Great Schools should not censor the truth and promote propaganda.

Posted December 27, 2012
Transfiguration is a wonderful school, real treasure. The principal, teachers and staff are very organized, helpful and resourceful. At the age of 4, my child was reading, writing and doing simple addition, subtraction, sequencing, patterns and even analogies. My child has learned a great deal since being a part of this great school.

Posted December 26, 2012
As a former student and IVY League grad, I can confidently look back on my Transfiguration experience with great pride. The values of hard work and discipline provided the solid foundation that was necessary for high school and beyond. I credit my 1st Grade teacher who instilled in me a love for academics. My 2 kids are now attending Trans and I find that the same curriculum and attention to detail are still present. Those parents who criticize the school's teaching methods should look at the reasons why the US is falling severly behind the rest of the world in terms of mathematics and science. The bottom line is that there are no shortcuts to success. A good solid core is required and the teahcers at staff Transfiguration are dutiful in providing their students with this very thing.

Transfiguration School
29 Mott Street, New York, NY  10013
Last modified Transfiguration School is a Private school that serves grades K-8
Transfiguration School Rating: 3 out of 5 based on 47 reviews.