/ School Profile
New York, NY

Xavier High School 4

Posted October 06, 2014
Xavier High School is overall a very good school. I'm a freshman here, and I can recognize how great it is. Everyone has something different that works for them, but this works for a lot of people. Yes, the work is hard, and there's a lot of it. It's also pretty strict here. However, all my teachers are good, they genuinely care about helping us learn, it's a very positive environment. There are jerks here, but bullying is swiftly dealt with. Even though many of the worse kids are on sports teams, the school isn't hostile to non-athletes. I don't play sports and I'm not a great student, but I still have many friends here and I feel welcome in classes. Students and faculty are of many different backgrounds, and it is celebrated, not attacked. What little bullying there is has nothing to do with race, religion, or sexuality. There's even a Gay Straight Alliance. It's a very accepting environment. The JROTC is also optional, the "mandatory" first six weeks of freshman year are just a military science class. Most students who stay in the program enjoy it very much, and there is absolutely NO Military Recruitment here. Not everyone has the same experience, but mine's been good so far.

Posted April 22, 2014
Xavier is possibly the best high school in NYC with an academic program rivaling that of Regis with an environment that fosters growth and learning. Not only does Xavier have an excellent academic program, but we have a strict disciplinary system wit a no tolerance policy that keeps the school in the highest moral standing and distinguishes us from many other institutions such as Xaverian and other public schools that allow their jocks and rich kids to run around and get away with anything they want. Our ROTC military program, of which I am a member is also top notch stemming from our glory days as a military institution back between the 1930s- early 70s. Xavier is an elite institution that does not produce elitists but well rounded gentlemen who are focused on serving the community and the nation "for the greater glory of God". The person giving the bad ratings is obviously a disgruntled student who could not handle our rigorous academic and disciplinary standards. Xavier is absolutely the finest educational institution in New York and is unworthy of receiving a rating no less than perfect.

Xavier High School 1

Posted January 27, 2014
Anyone who tells you that Xavier is an accepting place is either in utter denial or too ignorant to understand anyone's perspective other than their own. There is one and only one type of person who is socially accepted at Xavier: hyper-masculine athletes. The environment of this school is literally like a jail cell-- it's bully or get bullied, and for many people it's both. If you are gay, bisexual, transgender, or questioning, you will literally live in an everyday cycle of humiliation and ridicule. Xavier puts bullying on a whole different level. I'm not just talking about poking fun and joking around, I'm talking about the kind of harassment that will cause your sense of self-worth to plummet to rock bottom and stay there for years after you graduate. On a purely academic level, Xavier's merit is debatable. Overall it's good, but overrated. One of the deep secrets of Catholic schools is that teachers don't have to be certified. Most teachers at Xavier are either fresh out of college or old and lazy because they have tenure. It fosters an ambitious atmosphere in terms of college acceptance, but not in terms of personal growth or intellectual pursuit.

Xavier High School 4

Posted December 29, 2013
I have mixed feelings about Xavier. When I applied to Xavier as a Freshman, I had dreams of going to a prestigious high school with great academics, and Xavier has that... Kind of. I was offered a scholarship through the Ignatian Scholars Program, and this system gives you a rigorous education that thoroughly prepares you for college. However, it breeds pretentiousness and laziness, for if one isn't already a hard working student, the feeling of prestige that one gets won't encourage hard work, it will give more of a sense of comfort, a padding that you have, because one is apart of the perceived elite. And with everyone at the school, the long history and tradition breeds a preppy atmosphere. There are great communal benefits to that history, though. Xavier is a good choice if you have already planned out your route to college and plan to take very strong extracurriculars, but if not, maybe it is not the best choice. It is a school where you make your own decision, which I guess is good. The best thing about this school is the teachers. The teachers care about their students and they have a lot of expertise in their field. The Jesuits are great. As for the administration, well...

Posted November 26, 2013
Awesome! Teachers are great and so is the way Xavier teaches you to become ready for your years in college and later in life. I made a great decision to go here and could not have been happier if with the commute from NJ.

Posted October 04, 2013
I don't understand why people would give this school any rating below 4. Most of the "downsides" here are totally wrong. 1) They do not hate gays, and they actually have a Gay-Straight alliance group. 2) They are not racists, and they have a very low tolerance for racism. But I do agree that they are very strict. They're quick to give JUG (their form of detention). They also said they'd expel you for bad mouthing them. I guess that makes sense though, but it's harsh. If you join JROTC and stick with it all 4 years, they give you 32 college credits. I'm serious, they just bumped that number up. And the credits come from the government, as motivation to be respectable citizens. I'm glad I picked Xavier over schools like Edmunds and Xavarian. I feel that Xavier will be my biggest asset when I'm applying for college. Between the prestige the school has developed since 1847 and all the credits I'll accumulate from JROTC and AP courses, I should have no problem getting where I want. I highly recommend the school. If you do come, seriously consider the JROTC. I hate the military and would never join it, but join JROTC for the credits. 32 is, I believe, a full year.

Posted August 16, 2013
I attended Xavier HS briefly in the early 60s. I had followed the family tradition of being a Xavier student just as my Uncles in the early 20s and my older brother in the 50s. I was an impetuous student eager to learn how to wrap myself in that Maroon and Blue which would carry me like my older family into a great tradition that was to be a Xavier graduate and the assured success that being an alumnus would certainly bring. You younger students will appreciate that Xavier was a military school with discipline that more than rivaled being in the service of our country-drill every day -range once a week and jug for some more than others. I regrettably found myself in that category for one infraction that would not enable me to be a Son. As the 50th anniversary class of which I would have been a part, I reflect on the poor judgement of myself and I believe also the recently departed Prefect of Discipline of Xavier at that time. Xavier HS to those who have experienced its excellence in preparing for life will always appreciate those who successfully helped mold them.

Posted August 12, 2013
As a parent of a '13 grad, I can say that Xavier is possibly the best all boys HS in the NYC area. Xavier has very high academic standards, the educators / instructors are top notch, and the advisors who head up the JROTC regiment and the religious departments truly live by the motto "men for others". The sports teams are competitive, and there is something for everyone. If you are looking for a top school to prepare your son for college, and also strengthen christian virtues of service to others, then Xavier is the school for you. I can go on with my praise, but let the college acceptances speak for themselves - MIT, USNA, USMA, Columbia, Yale, Princeton, CalTech. Cal Berkeley, Boston U, Boston College, Fordham, Gettysburg, etc, etc. with scholarships. My son loved it, played 3 sports, formed friendships that will stand the test of time, respected his instructors and is receiving a free college education at a top university because of the excellence @ Xavier. If your son is up to the challenge, you cannot go wrong. Oh, great extra curricular activities as well !!!!

Posted July 27, 2013
In answer to some of the complainers,especially present students,maybe Xavier was wrong school for you.I graduated in 1954. I came from a Hispanic family in South Bronx.the Jrotc was mandatory.i was not an athlete ,just an average poor kid.The discipline & study habits that were forced on me served me well at Boston college & professional school .I thank Xavier for the great start they gave me to having a successful life. MAN UP DO THE WORK

Xavier High School 3

Posted December 18, 2012
The academics offered at Xavier is superb and top notch. The sports department is top notch. Teachers here are awesome. However, if you are Jewish, Gay, Bisexual, Transgender, Arab looking, a advocate for LGBT rights, like listening to Justin Bieber, Lady Gaga, or One Direction, not very manly, very feminine, have a high voice, have very liberal ideas, and unique and weird, don't bother being accepted by others. People here are very judgmental and mean. The school had to shut down the online Math Textbook because some students were drawing swastikas in the online math textbook and a friend of mine transferred because he could not deal with the bullying, since he is a questioning person. If Xavier can make the school environment more accepting for the people I mentioned above, I might consider giving Xavier 5 stars. However, based only on academics and sports, Xavier gets 5 stars, However, for the school environment and acceptance, 2 stars.

Xavier High School