9-12|Private
1,022 students

Bad
Good

I am a sophomore at Xavier, and if you really want to go here, don't. All of the kids at this school are judging, rude, and don't except others. If you aren't an amazing athlete, or you didn't make a team, your done, your school life will suck. If you have any opinions that others don't share you are automatically an outcast. Xavier is a place where if you aren't white, straight, and an amazing athlete, you will have no social life. Academically they are great. Still the day to day life of going here is terrible, and i'm now reconsidering my decision.

I love Xavier. I'm a current freshman and before you read any negative comments skip them. Whatever you read in those is untrue. For the first time I have friends you make so many you lose count of your friends. The academics are rigorous tough and high standards this just shows Xavier wants to challenge the boys and the reason why it is ranked so high. If your son gets in send him. This is the best high school in New York the only reason why Regis gets such a large pool is because its free. If Xavier was also free it would get way more than Regis. The brotherhood is unbelievable regardless of race, background, religion, sexuality, whatever you will have friends, there are plenty of guys in sports and we are all friends with them regardless there is no isolation. If there is a situation where the student needs or wants help Xavier will give it. The students care, today I was one of many many many students who gave tours for the open house today we all gave up a Saturday to do it. You will leave the student well rounded a gentlemen and intellectually competent. As for teachers being old and not caring Dr. Caliendo my Latin teacher may be old but he might be one of the funniest teachers there and he cares a lot. I have priests as teachers which is nice. I am going to leave the school a Jesuit. This is all coming from a freshman one month in, just imagine the seniors. The JROTC is optional and is really just life skills. The school has so many clubs. The school gives community periods for clubs, free time, or academic support. I love Xavier there aren't words to express how much, best decision ever. There is nothing negative about the school. Send your son here if you want a good education, good friends, and to become a good well rounded person. Sons of Xavier keep marching on to VICTORY! With colors flying guidons high, Stand so all world can see: We're WITH YOU! Onward to glory, loyal sons and true, Maroon and blue We'll see you through, WE'LL FIGHT FOR YOU!

The best decision i have ever made. Teachers are nice work is hard and discipline at Xavier is like no other school. Also Xavier is very close with all alumni that graduate from there. Every time i walk past someone with a Xavier shirt on i am complimented and reminded of the great education they offer.

Xavier High School is overall a very good school. I'm a freshman here, and I can recognize how great it is. Everyone has something different that works for them, but this works for a lot of people. Yes, the work is hard, and there's a lot of it. It's also pretty strict here. However, all my teachers are good, they genuinely care about helping us learn, it's a very positive environment. There are jerks here, but bullying is swiftly dealt with. Even though many of the worse kids are on sports teams, the school isn't hostile to non-athletes. I don't play sports and I'm not a great student, but I still have many friends here and I feel welcome in classes. Students and faculty are of many different backgrounds, and it is celebrated, not attacked. What little bullying there is has nothing to do with race, religion, or sexuality. There's even a Gay Straight Alliance. It's a very accepting environment. The JROTC is also optional, the "mandatory" first six weeks of freshman year are just a military science class. Most students who stay in the program enjoy it very much, and there is absolutely NO Military Recruitment here. Not everyone has the same experience, but mine's been good so far.

Xavier is possibly the best high school in NYC with an academic program rivaling that of Regis with an environment that fosters growth and learning. Not only does Xavier have an excellent academic program, but we have a strict disciplinary system wit a no tolerance policy that keeps the school in the highest moral standing and distinguishes us from many other institutions such as Xaverian and other public schools that allow their jocks and rich kids to run around and get away with anything they want. Our ROTC military program, of which I am a member is also top notch stemming from our glory days as a military institution back between the 1930s- early 70s. Xavier is an elite institution that does not produce elitists but well rounded gentlemen who are focused on serving the community and the nation "for the greater glory of God". The person giving the bad ratings is obviously a disgruntled student who could not handle our rigorous academic and disciplinary standards. Xavier is absolutely the finest educational institution in New York and is unworthy of receiving a rating no less than perfect.

Anyone who tells you that Xavier is an accepting place is either in utter denial or too ignorant to understand anyone's perspective other than their own. There is one and only one type of person who is socially accepted at Xavier: hyper-masculine athletes. The environment of this school is literally like a jail cell-- it's bully or get bullied, and for many people it's both. If you are gay, bisexual, transgender, or questioning, you will literally live in an everyday cycle of humiliation and ridicule. Xavier puts bullying on a whole different level. I'm not just talking about poking fun and joking around, I'm talking about the kind of harassment that will cause your sense of self-worth to plummet to rock bottom and stay there for years after you graduate. On a purely academic level, Xavier's merit is debatable. Overall it's good, but overrated. One of the deep secrets of Catholic schools is that teachers don't have to be certified. Most teachers at Xavier are either fresh out of college or old and lazy because they have tenure. It fosters an ambitious atmosphere in terms of college acceptance, but not in terms of personal growth or intellectual pursuit.

I have mixed feelings about Xavier. When I applied to Xavier as a Freshman, I had dreams of going to a prestigious high school with great academics, and Xavier has that... Kind of. I was offered a scholarship through the Ignatian Scholars Program, and this system gives you a rigorous education that thoroughly prepares you for college. However, it breeds pretentiousness and laziness, for if one isn't already a hard working student, the feeling of prestige that one gets won't encourage hard work, it will give more of a sense of comfort, a padding that you have, because one is apart of the perceived elite. And with everyone at the school, the long history and tradition breeds a preppy atmosphere. There are great communal benefits to that history, though. Xavier is a good choice if you have already planned out your route to college and plan to take very strong extracurriculars, but if not, maybe it is not the best choice. It is a school where you make your own decision, which I guess is good. The best thing about this school is the teachers. The teachers care about their students and they have a lot of expertise in their field. The Jesuits are great. As for the administration, well...

Awesome! Teachers are great and so is the way Xavier teaches you to become ready for your years in college and later in life. I made a great decision to go here and could not have been happier if with the commute from NJ.

I don't understand why people would give this school any rating below 4. Most of the "downsides" here are totally wrong. 1) They do not hate gays, and they actually have a Gay-Straight alliance group. 2) They are not racists, and they have a very low tolerance for racism. But I do agree that they are very strict. They're quick to give JUG (their form of detention). They also said they'd expel you for bad mouthing them. I guess that makes sense though, but it's harsh. If you join JROTC and stick with it all 4 years, they give you 32 college credits. I'm serious, they just bumped that number up. And the credits come from the government, as motivation to be respectable citizens. I'm glad I picked Xavier over schools like Edmunds and Xavarian. I feel that Xavier will be my biggest asset when I'm applying for college. Between the prestige the school has developed since 1847 and all the credits I'll accumulate from JROTC and AP courses, I should have no problem getting where I want. I highly recommend the school. If you do come, seriously consider the JROTC. I hate the military and would never join it, but join JROTC for the credits. 32 is, I believe, a full year.

I attended Xavier HS briefly in the early 60s. I had followed the family tradition of being a Xavier student just as my Uncles in the early 20s and my older brother in the 50s. I was an impetuous student eager to learn how to wrap myself in that Maroon and Blue which would carry me like my older family into a great tradition that was to be a Xavier graduate and the assured success that being an alumnus would certainly bring. You younger students will appreciate that Xavier was a military school with discipline that more than rivaled being in the service of our country-drill every day -range once a week and jug for some more than others. I regrettably found myself in that category for one infraction that would not enable me to be a Son. As the 50th anniversary class of which I would have been a part, I reflect on the poor judgement of myself and I believe also the recently departed Prefect of Discipline of Xavier at that time. Xavier HS to those who have experienced its excellence in preparing for life will always appreciate those who successfully helped mold them.

Last modified Xavier High School is a Private school that serves grades 9-12