/ School Profile

Posted January 20, 2015
We went on a school tour at Our Lady of Lourdes School last week - where "every day is an open house" - and immediately felt at home in this close-knit community. We were welcomed by a friendly and open staff who are available to answer any questions throughout the tour of the entire school. We saw the students in action in each classroom and learned about the solid academic curriculum as well enrichment classes including Art, Music, Spanish and Italian, offered to each student from PreK-3 - 8th grade. As working parents, we also like the early start - 7:15 am free breakfast program - and optional after-school program that runs until 6:00 pm every day - which works great with our work schedules. After our impressive tour, we've decided to register our child at OLL for the upcoming school year and strongly encourage you to take the tour and and do the same!

Posted January 15, 2015
There so many reasons why you should send your kids to Our Lady of Lourdes School. We presently have our daughter in the PreK-4 class. The Pre-K program at OLL provides children with essential opportunities to learn and practice the social-emotional, problem-solving, and academic skills that they will use throughout their lives. At OLL you will find a welcoming atmosphere from all faculty members as well as administration.

Our Lady of Lourdes School 2

Posted April 03, 2014
I highly recommend this school for Pre-K. The teachers are unbelievable and the nurturing of the children is great. However, once you get to Kindergarten it drastically goes downhill. My child was so scared of her teacher that she would tremble and cry when even asking for a pencil. I pulled her out at the beginning of the year and moved her to a nearby public school. It was the best decision I ever made. Parents are discouraged from being involved at all and I have actually heard them degrade students in front of the whole class. I do not recommend this school for K-8 but highly recommend for your Pre-K children. It is really too bad, because this could be such a great school.

Our Lady of Lourdes School 4

Posted January 30, 2014
This school is a welcome gem in an area with very little to offer in terms of quality education. It feels like a community and our 3 year old feels really welcome. The building is pristine and filled with the children's work. Classrooms are sunny and big with smartboards for every classroom. Teachers and aides are loving and attentive. What would make it truly excellent would be more parent involvement, more activities such as chess, dance, Spanish, swimming... These could be easily developed by parents and using outside community resources but there's not a PTA to work on fundraising. The afterschool program needs development so the children are learning more proactively during that time. Nevertheless we feel happy and safe at the school and thank our lucky stars to have found this in Harlem.

Posted January 25, 2014
I am a parent of a student currently in her second year at the school in pre-K4. So far I am very happy with the school on many levels. I like the small and intimate feel of the school. The school staff know the students by name and the parents as well. The teachers that she has had thus far actually care about her progress. They inform me of her accomplishments and offer solutions for improvement. My child was reading full sentences by age 2 and I was concerned that she would not be stimulated in the classroom. However, the teachers have worked to keep her engaged in her strong areas while also teaching her new skills and material. She is also learning Italian due to their language program. She seems to be happy in school and has made a lot of friends. When I had financial problems last year the staff helped me obtain a scholarship. I am also very impressed with the music and art programs as well. The school's musical presentations are very impressive. I hope that my positive experience as a parent will continue from Kindergarten and beyond.

Our Lady of Lourdes School 3

Posted April 11, 2013
I felt very blessed to have found this school for my child. I hoped that the school would give her the balance between education and faith that think is missing from so many these days. However, I am not so sure how well the school embodies, much less teaches, these faith-based aspects. In addition, this school passively discourages parental involvement more than just so much. The school for the most part is good and I love the staff. The administration is about the business of running a school so keep that in mind when things done and said don't quite make sense.

Our Lady of Lourdes School 3

Posted January 29, 2013
I grew up in this community an truth be told the options for a good elementary school are scarce. We transferred our son to this school from a public school and found that OLL still has strong academic standards as it did when I attended the school as a child. The administration is strong and focused on setting high standards for its staff as well as working hard to ensure the financial stability of the school. I find that even though both of my children stand out academically, there are other aspects of a school that should be taken into consideration when applying. Teaching staff appears to have a very antiquated discipline philosophy which includes scolding (and embarrassing)children in front of their peers. There is no direct connection with parents, nor PTA, school has more of a closed door policy in which you drop off your child at the front door and pick up at the front door giving very little opportunity to establish a home-school connection. For Hamilton Heights, clearly, OLL is one of the better options, my suggestion as a parent is to visit other catholic schools in Manhattan and compare. Make the decision based on what fits your child.

Posted September 28, 2012
This school has been a blessing, and we are fortunate to have it in our neighborhood. I can not stop praising OLL for their dedication to the education and success of every child that attends. My daughter has blossomed immensely since being at OLL, and we see our money's worth everyday. The teachers are what make this school standout as they are dedicated to their students, and are amazing educators. The principal is great and is truly engaged with her staff and ensuring all is up to par. I highly recommend!!!

Our Lady of Lourdes School 1

Posted May 30, 2012
The worst school in New York State. If you love your children, send them to a public school , the public school are better and safer; at least they have police waching your kids while you are at work.Do not waste your money in this school .save in the bank you will remember my advice.

Posted February 04, 2012
OLL is a great I could not be more greatful to this school that educated me my daughter and now my son who is in 8th grade. He has been accepted to the top schools in NYC such as Loyola School, Xavier High School and 3 others. The standard and principles are high the children become scholars without knowing. The teachers are great and dedicated. The principal is great and the vice principal as well. It was a wonderful choice when my parents sent me and I know I made the right choice for my children as well.

Our Lady of Lourdes School
468 West 143rd Street, New York, NY  10031
Last modified Our Lady of Lourdes School is a Private school that serves grades PK-8
Our Lady of Lourdes School Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 27 reviews. Top