PK-8|Private

Bad
Good

Both my kids attend OLL, the older for 4 years. I have found the community of students, families, and admistration/teach erstwhile to be positive and supportive. My kids are happy to go to school. They have lots of 'extra' classes -art, foreign language, music, pe, library- which I think are important. The principal seems to good at getting funding which keeps these programs as well as resources for the school going. I appreciate that. I wish they would go on more field trips in this neighborhood and city full of rich history and culture and I wish the science program were more developed and had applied lessons as opposed to just book learning (maybe a mobile lab or something that could be shared btwn parochial schools) but all in all I am very happy with the school. I am impressed by how much my kids continue to learn. A second grader talking about empathy...

Small tight knit community school that values each & every student. Students are exposed to a wide variety of programs - Italian & Spanish language learning, creative arts, music instruction, all while instilling fundamental values such as civic responsibility & respect for one another. The teachers are truly invested in my child and take as much pride in her achievements as her dad & I do.

There are so many things we love about Our Lady of Lourdes school. Most importantly, our daughter is so very happy there and is learning so much and making great friends that will last a lifetime. It is a close knit and diverse community that offers so much to our children and our family. My child is learning on a level here that kids in much older grades elsewhere aren't even on yet. She is challenged and she is loved. The faculty and administration really participates with us and works with us. There is now a parent association that is working to bring even more great things to the school. They have great technology in the classrooms (smart boards, iPads), instill discipline and character, have a fabulous art, music, and gym program. They offer an after school program that includes homework help, play, dance, art, yoga, and basketball. This place is an absolute gem and we are so lucky that we found it for our children.

My son is in PreK4 at Our Lady of Lourdes School. I am very happy with the school. The first amazing thing is that the teachers really really care about their students. And secondly I feel very safe with my son there, it is a very safe school. I am on the Parent Student Association and I believe this is the only missing element in the school. Once we get this going the school will be unstoppable.

We went on a school tour at Our Lady of Lourdes School last week - where "every day is an open house" - and immediately felt at home in this close-knit community. We were welcomed by a friendly and open staff who are available to answer any questions throughout the tour of the entire school. We saw the students in action in each classroom and learned about the solid academic curriculum as well enrichment classes including Art, Music, Spanish and Italian, offered to each student from PreK-3 - 8th grade. As working parents, we also like the early start - 7:15 am free breakfast program - and optional after-school program that runs until 6:00 pm every day - which works great with our work schedules. After our impressive tour, we've decided to register our child at OLL for the upcoming school year and strongly encourage you to take the tour and and do the same!

There so many reasons why you should send your kids to Our Lady of Lourdes School. We presently have our daughter in the PreK-4 class. The Pre-K program at OLL provides children with essential opportunities to learn and practice the social-emotional, problem-solving, and academic skills that they will use throughout their lives. At OLL you will find a welcoming atmosphere from all faculty members as well as administration.

My daughter is is in the third grade and has attended OLL for 5 years now. She has thrived academically, socially and morally. The staff is caring, dedicated and nuturing. The teachers have always been responsive and insightful. The principal and vice principal are terrific. Their art and music program is quite good. Italian or Spanish classes are offered to each child. There is both a girls and boys basketball team, a choir and some dance classes. I see positive changes in the aftercare program and in parental involvement this year. Midway through our daughters elementary school career, we are happier now than we were when we first chose Oll!

I highly recommend this school for Pre-K. The teachers are unbelievable and the nurturing of the children is great. However, once you get to Kindergarten it drastically goes downhill. My child was so scared of her teacher that she would tremble and cry when even asking for a pencil. I pulled her out at the beginning of the year and moved her to a nearby public school. It was the best decision I ever made. Parents are discouraged from being involved at all and I have actually heard them degrade students in front of the whole class. I do not recommend this school for K-8 but highly recommend for your Pre-K children. It is really too bad, because this could be such a great school.

This school is a welcome gem in an area with very little to offer in terms of quality education. It feels like a community and our 3 year old feels really welcome. The building is pristine and filled with the children's work. Classrooms are sunny and big with smartboards for every classroom. Teachers and aides are loving and attentive. What would make it truly excellent would be more parent involvement, more activities such as chess, dance, Spanish, swimming... These could be easily developed by parents and using outside community resources but there's not a PTA to work on fundraising. The afterschool program needs development so the children are learning more proactively during that time. Nevertheless we feel happy and safe at the school and thank our lucky stars to have found this in Harlem.

I am a parent of a student currently in her second year at the school in pre-K4. So far I am very happy with the school on many levels. I like the small and intimate feel of the school. The school staff know the students by name and the parents as well. The teachers that she has had thus far actually care about her progress. They inform me of her accomplishments and offer solutions for improvement. My child was reading full sentences by age 2 and I was concerned that she would not be stimulated in the classroom. However, the teachers have worked to keep her engaged in her strong areas while also teaching her new skills and material. She is also learning Italian due to their language program. She seems to be happy in school and has made a lot of friends. When I had financial problems last year the staff helped me obtain a scholarship. I am also very impressed with the music and art programs as well. The school's musical presentations are very impressive. I hope that my positive experience as a parent will continue from Kindergarten and beyond.

Last modified Our Lady of Lourdes School is a Private school that serves grades PK-8