Our Lady of Lourdes School 2

Posted April 03, 2014
I highly recommend this school for Pre-K. The teachers are unbelievable and the nurturing of the children is great. However, once you get to Kindergarten it drastically goes downhill. My child was so scared of her teacher that she would tremble and cry when even asking for a pencil. I pulled her out at the beginning of the year and moved her to a nearby public school. It was the best decision I ever made. Parents are discouraged from being involved at all and I have actually heard them degrade students in front of the whole class. I do not recommend this school for K-8 but highly recommend for your Pre-K children. It is really too bad, because this could be such a great school.

Our Lady of Lourdes School 4

Posted January 30, 2014
This school is a welcome gem in an area with very little to offer in terms of quality education. It feels like a community and our 3 year old feels really welcome. The building is pristine and filled with the children's work. Classrooms are sunny and big with smartboards for every classroom. Teachers and aides are loving and attentive. What would make it truly excellent would be more parent involvement, more activities such as chess, dance, Spanish, swimming... These could be easily developed by parents and using outside community resources but there's not a PTA to work on fundraising. The afterschool program needs development so the children are learning more proactively during that time. Nevertheless we feel happy and safe at the school and thank our lucky stars to have found this in Harlem.

Posted January 25, 2014
I am a parent of a student currently in her second year at the school in pre-K4. So far I am very happy with the school on many levels. I like the small and intimate feel of the school. The school staff know the students by name and the parents as well. The teachers that she has had thus far actually care about her progress. They inform me of her accomplishments and offer solutions for improvement. My child was reading full sentences by age 2 and I was concerned that she would not be stimulated in the classroom. However, the teachers have worked to keep her engaged in her strong areas while also teaching her new skills and material. She is also learning Italian due to their language program. She seems to be happy in school and has made a lot of friends. When I had financial problems last year the staff helped me obtain a scholarship. I am also very impressed with the music and art programs as well. The school's musical presentations are very impressive. I hope that my positive experience as a parent will continue from Kindergarten and beyond.

Our Lady of Lourdes School 3

Posted April 11, 2013
I felt very blessed to have found this school for my child. I hoped that the school would give her the balance between education and faith that think is missing from so many these days. However, I am not so sure how well the school embodies, much less teaches, these faith-based aspects. In addition, this school passively discourages parental involvement more than just so much. The school for the most part is good and I love the staff. The administration is about the business of running a school so keep that in mind when things done and said don't quite make sense.

Our Lady of Lourdes School 3

Posted January 29, 2013
I grew up in this community an truth be told the options for a good elementary school are scarce. We transferred our son to this school from a public school and found that OLL still has strong academic standards as it did when I attended the school as a child. The administration is strong and focused on setting high standards for its staff as well as working hard to ensure the financial stability of the school. I find that even though both of my children stand out academically, there are other aspects of a school that should be taken into consideration when applying. Teaching staff appears to have a very antiquated discipline philosophy which includes scolding (and embarrassing)children in front of their peers. There is no direct connection with parents, nor PTA, school has more of a closed door policy in which you drop off your child at the front door and pick up at the front door giving very little opportunity to establish a home-school connection. For Hamilton Heights, clearly, OLL is one of the better options, my suggestion as a parent is to visit other catholic schools in Manhattan and compare. Make the decision based on what fits your child.

Posted September 28, 2012
This school has been a blessing, and we are fortunate to have it in our neighborhood. I can not stop praising OLL for their dedication to the education and success of every child that attends. My daughter has blossomed immensely since being at OLL, and we see our money's worth everyday. The teachers are what make this school standout as they are dedicated to their students, and are amazing educators. The principal is great and is truly engaged with her staff and ensuring all is up to par. I highly recommend!!!

Our Lady of Lourdes School 1

Posted May 30, 2012
The worst school in New York State. If you love your children, send them to a public school , the public school are better and safer; at least they have police waching your kids while you are at work.Do not waste your money in this school .save in the bank you will remember my advice.

Posted February 04, 2012
OLL is a great I could not be more greatful to this school that educated me my daughter and now my son who is in 8th grade. He has been accepted to the top schools in NYC such as Loyola School, Xavier High School and 3 others. The standard and principles are high the children become scholars without knowing. The teachers are great and dedicated. The principal is great and the vice principal as well. It was a wonderful choice when my parents sent me and I know I made the right choice for my children as well.

Posted October 07, 2011
Our Lady of Lourdes is an excellent school! The facilities are well-kept, the teachers and staff are very friendly and students are well exposed to programs across the arts in addition to their regular curriculum.

Posted March 04, 2011
We looked at many Manhattan preschools before we found OLL. As soon as our unscheduled tour began we knew we were in the right place. The tour got better as it continued, ending up in the pre-K class where the teachers were wonderful and the class engaged and happy! All the promises we were made have come true. This is a great school with great programs, a great administration, good values, breakfast, lunch and terrific aftercare! And it's reasonably priced, esp. compared to those other schools. We were also accpted to another highly regarded public school but we have never regretted our decision to send our child to Our Lady of Lourdes.

Our Lady of Lourdes School
468 West 143rd Street, New York, NY  10031
Last modified Our Lady of Lourdes School is a Private school that serves grades PK-8
Our Lady of Lourdes School Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 26 reviews. Top