/ School Profile
New York, NY
After care: No

Posted October 16, 2014
Dominican Academy offers an excellent academic and spiritual education. They focus on developing girls into confident, intellectual, and kind women. I enjoyed my time here immensely and am still in touch with many of my high school classmates ten years later they are still my closest friends!

Posted August 19, 2014
Dominican Academy is committed to building a community of smart women. Our daughters are being challenged academically, nurtured in self-confidence and -awareness and exposed to the wonders of NYC, and the world!

Posted April 16, 2014
Choosing to attend Dominican Academy has been one of the best decisions I have ever made! All I see are positives from its small size. My class year had 70 students, and we were the largest year in the school at the time. Through our retreats, activities, and classes together, I've gotten to know all of the girls in my year and found a lifelong group of friends. Since my largest class ever in DA was 20 people for Theology, every teacher knew more than my name, which definitely helped for college recommendations. The teachers want every DA girl to realize her potential and succeed in their academics. I have had teachers that have given me the best life advice and became my mentors. Although the school is small, there is such an array of APs and electives. With the APs I have taken, I came into college with 14 credits! DA's location is as best as it gets. The 6 train and numerous buses stop within 2 blocks away. DA has helped me prepare for college's rigorous curriculum and in life skills such as networking and resume writing . My drive to succeed and my passion for service to others have been set and grown by DA, and I wish I can go back to my years there!

Posted April 12, 2014
Although the actual school is small building, it is beautiful and much is accomplished within those walls! A great mix of girls from many different ethnic and economic backgrounds and all mix well and all have respect for each other. The students are caring for each other and the world outside their school. Excellent interaction with faculty and staff and something for everyone. Proud to have had two graduates from Dominican Academy who are extremely well prepared for college and beyond. I would highly recommend DA!

Posted April 10, 2014
Dominican Academy resides is an historic 68th Street townhouse, donated by Michael Friedsam (founder of B. Altman & Co., benefactor of the Metropolitan, and namesake of the carousel in Central Park). For 117 years, this "Blue Ribbon School of Excellence" has challenged and nurtured gifted high school girls, to meet their full academic potential, and to live the love of Christ as they interact with each other and their communities. All classes are honors level, reflecting the capabilities of the young women drawn to DA from all over the NYC metropolitan area. There are 11 AP courses, taught separately. Students study the classics (Latin is required), and most take 4 years of math and science (3 years are required). Community service is part of the curriculum, including the social justice seminar with brother school Regis High School. The soccer, softball, tennis and track teams play in Central Park, and basketball and volleyball teams play at home in the Regis gym. Reflecting its core values, and through generous support, DA's tuition is a fraction of comparable Manhattan schools, so as many "smart girls" as possible can learn together, and become "intelligent young women."

Posted April 10, 2014
My school is a really happy place, in all honesty. It is an all girls Catholic high school with no more than 230 students. Its small size is what makes it unique and wonderful. We are a community above all. We all root for each other, these are my sisters. Walking through the halls I know every name and every face. At first, I feared the rigorous curriculum. Now, I welcome it because it has challenged me and I believe I am more successful because of it. My education does not consist of memorization, but of critical thinking and questioning. I can thank my teachers for my ability to carry an intellectual conversation. My teachers are the brightest group of people I have ever met, they inspire me to work hard and be as knowledgeable as they are. I really feel like I am learning from the best. DA has groomed me into an intelligent young woman and I will always be grateful, the LEAST I can do is give it 5 stars.

Posted October 24, 2013
Dominican Academy is a great school located in a very prestigious location of Manhattan, The school only offers honors classes and AP class. The school is small so that each student is intellectually engaged with each teacher. The school is beautiful as it is a landmark brownstone and students enjoy learning in the building and playing sports down the street In Central Park.Sports are an integral part of the social life and include crew, soccer, softball, basketball and volleyball. If you do not play sports there are many clubs one can join and each student is encouraged to join a few. Every year there is an optional trip to Europe and a ski trip. The school participates with Regis for dances, plays and other social events. If you like to be with smart. pretty girls with a touch of class this is the school for you!

Posted September 17, 2013
Dominican Academy is truly wonderful! As a student here, I feel well prepared for college, but also for life. I genuinely love my school. If I relived the 8th grade decision process- I would absolutely choose DA again. Our community is outstanding! Students and faculty members are extremely intelligent, successful, open, and caring. The education is unparalleled. I have never had a day where I felt unlucky to be a student. I absolutely love it here and would highly recommend it to anyone. Coming here has probably been one of the best decisions I have ever made. I cannot imagine attending any other school- I love it!

Posted March 13, 2013
I attend Dominican Academy, and I truly believe it has set me up for life. DA is not only a challenging environment, but an encouraging school which shows every girl's potential and what she can do to help others. If I could go back, I would still choose DA knowing the incredible high school experience and friends I have now. It's fantastic.

Posted October 26, 2012
My daughter started at D.A. in September. She finds the academics challenging and the atmosphere socially rewarding. The teachers, counselors and administration are all so welcoming and attentive. The beauty of the neighborhood adds to it's charm. My daughter and I couldn't have chosen a better school. It is a bit more expensive than some of the other schools, but well worth it!

Dominican Academy