/ School Profile

Posted February 25, 2015
I have two boys in the School of the Blessed Sacrament, K and 3rd. Our family has been with the school for four years and we have been very happy with the school. So far, the quality of the education, teachers and community has been wonderful. The community is welcoming and all the children, between the grades, know and look out for each other. Each year the school gets better and better. The administration and PA are working hard to get families involved, with some success. It is true, there isn't a playground. 1st - 4th graders get recess after lunch. PK through 3rd grade the children generally go to the park once a week during the spring and fall. Half days. Once a month there is a half day, 11:30 dismissal and may be difficult for some families. This day is for teacher enrichment.

Posted February 07, 2015
SBS is a great school with excellent teachers. Everyone knows each other and every child gets individual attention from teachers and school administration. I'm surprised how many people in school know my child the way I do. Kids are happy, perform well academically and have strong values. I'm glad we picked this school.

School Of The Blessed Sacrament School 2

Posted December 12, 2014
After kindergarten Blessed Sacrament becomes a below average school. The school is trying to competed with PS199 and PS87- where majority of their students leave. The school lacks in many areas- there is no open area for the kids to play, the communication between faculty and parents in below average, the school feels like it lacks color/inspiration. The teachers can be arrogant. The teachers don't updated you about your child's progress except in midterm. There are positive in the school- tuition and location. This academic year my child's teacher is catty which is making me question the maturity of their staff. The school has capacity to develop into something in the future. Blessed Sacrament has such a great location in a high-income part of the city but their inability to capitalize in there potential shows their disorganization. Second, they are trying to organize the flow of traffic (drop off/pick up) in the school- sadly, the teachers don't follow their own rules. The only reason I have stayed is because of low tuition. However, I think my child can strive in a different school like PS87.
3 people found this helpful

School Of The Blessed Sacrament School 3

Posted October 10, 2014
I am a parent of a very active child who is attending SBS. The school is below average. The school has too many half days (11:30am pick up) which is ridiculous. Our first year we had an amazing teacher but now are regretting having our child in this school. Plus of the school- Location is great, price is affordable for NYC, uniforms ( Sadly- they are not using Lands End for their uniforms- the new company is horrible), After-school activities are great and their tuition are kept low. Cons- Their is no open communication between teachers, administrative and parents. Don't find the school welcoming. The school is good for the price you pay in an over price city. If don't expect much, don't question administration/teachers and you will have a great experience.

Posted October 06, 2014
This is our 2nd year at School of the Blessed Sacrament - we chose it over schools like Success Academy, Mandell, Dwight etc., all of which are fine schools I am sure. SBS offered something more, a whole child approach. The staff and teachers are great, it is obvious they really do care for the kids and want them to learn and grow. The curriculum is age appropriate but clearly geared toward learning and offers measured competition in the class room, prompting kids to have pride in and take ownership of their work, while still enjoying what they do. Kids are also prompted to be respectful. Our daughter started reading within the first month in kindergarten and now, in first grade, reads chapter books and Harry Potter. After care is good and structured - the kids do the homework (supervised & reviewed) and then have free time. Enrichment classes are very good and much improved in just one year - French, ballet, tennis, arts, drama, tae kwon do, and math & science with Launch Center, to name a few. The new principal Joh Joven is dedicated to academics. The PA is great and very dedicated to improving school facilities - new doors, floors etc. I would choose it all over again.

School Of The Blessed Sacrament School 4

Posted June 25, 2014
Blessed Sacrament school is a great school. I am very happy with the staff, the principal, the secretary at the office is wonderful and very helpful. The academic program is strong and prepare your child for the futur. I also like the way they teach them to be respectul towards their friends and adults. I rate 4 stars instead of 5 because there is too many half days (11.30am dismissal at least 2 times per month) as parents both working it's a problem to find someone to come and pick up your kids and look after them.

Posted September 22, 2013
This school is working its way up with more improvements in the program and adding new and wonderful teachers to its faculty. The new science lab is wonderful and is now being used by students of all grades! The teachers really seem to be involved with all students on individual levels and the special needs children in the classroom actually help foster more active use of religious values and I've seen growing friendships between students which is really important to me. The school has been adding new special subjects to the weekly routine and they are raising money for even newer technology to add to what is already in the classroom! We are really happy with the teachers and students in the classes we have had so far and are looking forward to another great year!

Posted April 09, 2013
Blessed Sacrament is a great school and I am completely happy there! The teachers genuinely care about their students and it is a smaller school so they actually know my family, we are not just a tuition check! One reviewer mentioned something about never seeing the learning center-she must not be there a lot. They have a beautiful facility built off the library and it is the learning resource center. I feel this is a wonderful school. Im happy, my two children are happy, can't complain at all!

Posted October 20, 2012
We have had a wonderful experience with Blessed Sacrament. The teachers have been challenging the children and have gone above and beyond their roles to make sure each child is up to speed. The academic program is fantastic. They have weekly spelling test along with challenge words to earn extra points. My son is in 2nd grade and is learning algebra along with preparing for first communion. We are happy to have our children in such a fantastic school.

School Of The Blessed Sacrament School 3

Posted March 05, 2012
I gave the school a 2 star because the lower grades are amazing and the upper grades 4th - 8th is not so great due to the lack of resources. The teachers are very dedicated and the parents involvement in the lower grades PK3 - 3rd grade is awesome. After 3rd grade you would begin to feel the difference. There is some kind of performance issues between the students and the teachers. Too many half days (11:30 am dismissal as mentioned by other parents). The school needs a real gym. Currently the cafeteria/gym is shared.

School Of The Blessed Sacrament School
147 West 70th Street, New York, NY  10023
Last modified School Of The Blessed Sacrament School is a Private school that serves grades PK-8
School Of The Blessed Sacrament School Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 21 reviews. Top