I want to say thank you to everyone - to the Principal, who is so dedicated to making Blessed Sacrament the best school it can be for my children, to the teachers who are so dedicated and care so much about my children, to the staff who are always kind and responsive, and to our great Parents Association, who give so much of their time and energy to the PA.
The teachers are very effective. I can see my children applying what they learn in school on a daily basis. They are well taught and retain their knowledge from year to year. The teachers really care about their students, and make sure they are given work that is appropriate for them.
Students start having homework in Pre-K 4 at Blessed Sacrament. The homework and required time commitment are always age appropriate -- starting as weekly home work in Pre-K 4 and building up to daily homework in 1st grade. Giving homework as early as Prek_4 helps develop the habit and routine of homework as a part of the school year, and also reinforces what they are learning in school.
Wherever I go, people always tell me that my kids are extremely respectful and polite. Blessed Sacrament educates the whole child -- not just core skills like reading and math. Students know from an early age that they must be respectful to their teachers, school staff, their fellow students and themselves.
Compassion, caring and empathy are also character traits that are consistently modeled by teachers and staff, and celebrated at Blessed Sacrament. These values are instilled in students, starting at the PreK-3 level, which provides a better learning environment.
Honesty, integrity and fairness are integral to the School of the Blessed Sacrament's mission and are incorporated in all aspects of its students' learning. These character traits are specifically discussed in class, and demonstrated by Blessed Sacraments' teachers and staff. Blessed Sacrament also celebrates these core character traits, and others, such as generosity, thankfulness, diligence, tolerance, courage, etc., by recognizing a student from each class in Kindergarten through 8th grade, on a monthly basis, who exemplifies the trait of the month. The students are aware of these important character traits, and strive to act that way. It also shows the students that the way you act and treat others is as important as the grades you receive.
Our involvement with the School of the Blessed Sacrament ("SBS") started six years ago, when my son started PreK-3. Both of my children attended pre-school at SBS and are now students in SBS' elementary school. We are zoned for PS 199, but wanted a smaller learning environment, where the school administration and the teachers would know our children by name. We are so happy with our choice! SBS is an excellent school. My children are consistently challenged in their classes, learning more than their peers at other schools. They are also in a warm and nurturing environment, where the teachers know their strengths and weaknesses. Even the Principal and others in the school administration know their names and their personalities. The teachers and the school administration have always been very accessible and responsive in addressing any questions or concerns that we have. I love that my children are happy and excited to go to school every morning!
My son is in 2nd grade and he has been with Blessed Sacrament (SBS) since Pre-K4. We are very happy with the school.
1)Administration. The administration changed two years ago and we saw a significant improvement in the school. One impactful change was to assign two principals - one for lower grade (Pre-K to 4th) and another for the higher grade (5th-8th).
2) Academics. There has been an increased emphasis on academics and this is made clear to both the students and the parents. Online tools and the test/homework results that are shared with the parents help me understand my son's grades. Summer homework is great as they prepare my son for the next school year. I have observed tremendous progress in my son's learning during the school year and the end of the school year.
3) Technology. The school promotes technology as a means of teaching and educating the students. Each classroom has a smart board, teachers use online tools to interact with parents. My son was learning coding in computer class when he was in 1st grade. Each student has an iPad in computer class.
4) Afterschool. The school has an Aftercare Program and Afterschool Enrichment Program. Aftercare allows students to stay in school until 5:30 pm after regular dismissal. A teacher stays w/ the students in Aftercare and helps them do homework. The Enrichment program has an impressive portfolio of classes (soccer, chess, science etc...) Both Aftercare and Enrichment programs are organized by the Parent's Association. There are extra fees for these programs.
5) Character Formation. One would say that character formation is almost a given as the school is a Catholic school. Having gone to Catholic school myself, I can see that SBS fosters character formation in a more encouraging way, appropriate to modern times. Every month they have a character theme e.g. respect in October etc..
6) Parent's Association. The school has a strong Parent's Association with dedicated and committed parents. The PA is a good foundation for the school. Fund raising activities are always fun for students and parents alike.
7) Indoor and Outdoor Space. Indoor common space is limited but the church has renovated its basement so the school has access to a huge space with new floors and a theatre! The PA is working with the Community Board to close the street in front of the school for outdoor space during school recess.
My two daughters have been at SBS for 5 years. We have seen improvements every year, and due to new admin. and parent involvement, feel confident this trend will continue. It is not for everyone, then again what school is? It is a traditional Catholic education, with lovely, energetic, creative, young staff. It is intimate, safe, warm, and friendly. The teachers and admin. are interested in parents' opinions and talents. It is a school open to new ideas. We have been very happy to be a part of the SBS community.