/ School Profile
New York, NY
Before care: Yes

Epiphany Elementary School 3

Posted November 23, 2014
I wrote a review of this school back in July, for some reason it got removed. Anyway, I went to Epiphany and graduated last June, and I had mixed feelings about it. The academics are definitely some of the best in the city. However, many things need to be changed. Most teachers are great, but some are terrible, they harass their students and make them scared in class, plus they choose favorites, of course. No one wants to go to the guidance counselor because of how harsh and off putting she is, so kids have to handle problems on their own. Even though it's a great school, the kids are not as good as they seem. Sure, they're book smart, but out of class, a lot of these kids are really dumb, and also pretty badly behaved. They're snobs, too, making fun of and downgrading high schools other kids plan to go to. Epiphany is good in the long run if you want your child to get into a good high school, but it's not as good as it seems. Plus, they bilk you for cash every chance they get, so if your kid can still get into the schools you want by going to a cheaper or public school, just send them there and save your money.

Posted August 03, 2014
This review is for Pre-K only. We were very disappointed by the huge class size. Twenty five kids and only 1 teacher and 1 teacher's assistant. The kids are so young and little but the Pre-K teacher is not nurturing or sympathetic. As a parent we want to trust a teacher who has decades of experience but I think the decades of experience has left the teacher jaded and uncaring. It's sad to see a teacher who was probably once very good. She can't be bothered with children who don't fit the mold. She expects the children to bring classroom donations down to the classroom by themselves. If you hand her any donations, instead of saying thank you she says "okay?" Like you have inconvenienced her. If your child is a follower and does not have emotions or opinions, then they will do fine in her class. We spoke to the school psychologist about some issues our child was having and she was also unhelpful. She referred us to a place that costs several thousand dollars just for a consult.

Posted June 05, 2014
My daughter will complete Kindergarten this June at Epiphany and I am happy to report that we are extremely pleased with the overall experience. The school has a great curriculum that makes good use of the latest technologies. Additionally, each week we get a printed overview of the weekly course of study, which allows us to stay informed about what our daughter is learning each week. The school also nurtures a fun, inclusive environment where teachers and parents work together to achieve mutual goals.

Epiphany Elementary School 4

Posted February 02, 2014
I love this school and am sad to graduate this year, but I will visit frequently.

Posted December 10, 2013
I am a recent graduate of this cheap school. I HATED 7th and 8th grade. The teachers are 100% sexist. They treat boys a lot better than girls for no reason other than practically all of the teachers are women. I don't believe I received a quality education. Bullying is a huge issue in our school and it is NEVER addressed. All of our tests purely evaluate our memorization skills. It is ridiculous. I do not recommend this school to anyone. This school's only drive is money. There is a 70% white population. There is no diversity. Being different is not celebrated or embraced. All of the teachers point out your little mistakes. They are all nit picky. Each of the teachers have favorites in the class. I am so glad I graduated from this lazy money driven school. I honestly hope it's gotten better, though I highly doubt it has.

Posted December 10, 2013
I have attended this school and I do not recommend enrolling your child at the Epiphany School. I have friends who went there their whole lives and said they loved their experience in the lower school. However, our grade was in agreement that the upper school is terrible. The teachers either have no control over their class or scream at children. Also, bullying is a major issue that isn't taken care of. Many students feel unsafe going into classes, because teachers are rude and students are disrespectful. No one feels comfortable going to the guidance counselor. Way to small of a school, unless you like cliques. This is a terrible, cheap, and disgusting place. I hope it changed since I graduated.

Posted November 08, 2013
It isn't hard to explain by me. This is simply not an education. It is nothing but a money fest for the principal and Catholic sexism it its finest.

Posted June 02, 2013
My children have had a terrific experience at this school. They are challenged every day in class, and receive all of the extras that make the school special: Physical education, art, music, language instruction, computers, iPads, etc. Principal Hayes is terrific and has the long-term experience that allows him to deal with situations with perspective. The financial support of the school's foundation keeps the technology current and provides teaching assistants in all of the younger grades. The parent association is very active and welcoming, providing tons of extras like dances, carnivals, a film festival, school musicals etc. Most importantly, the education that the students receive gets them into the top high schools in NYC, both Catholic and public: Regis, LaGuardia, Bronx Science, etc. If the students work hard (lots of homework) and do their best, they can be assured of being competitive with all of the students in other schools competing to get into the best high schools.

Posted October 02, 2012
This school is the best kept secret in NYC. I don't mind sharing this because my kids have already been accepted. The school combines old fashioned work ethic and manners, with progressive teaching. The students receive both spanish and mandarin instruction and there are smart boards and ipads in the classrooms. The school is catholic but the community is inclusive and the religious instruction is nothing but uplifting.

Posted October 01, 2012
We have 2 children attending Epiphany school, and we have been very pleased with the school. My kids are very different in terms of learning styles, and both have been nutured and instructed in a way that brings out the best in them. The parent involvement and community feeling are a huge part of attending the school!

Epiphany Elementary School
234 East 22nd Street, New York, NY  10010
Last modified Epiphany Elementary School is a Private school that serves grades PK-8
Epiphany Elementary School Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 41 reviews. Top