/ School Profile
New York, NY

Teacher effectiveness: Very ineffective

Posted June 08, 2015
The teachers are limited by a curriculum set a very long time ago, irrelevant and redundant in today's information era. They have to teach in old fashioned ways - in front if class talking to no end. They are not inspired and full of life. With few exceptions the teachers are not sensitive to the students but concerned with the material, the rules and the requirements.

Amount of homework: Too much

Posted June 08, 2015
excessive. Children and their parents have been complaining for as long as i have been there: 13 years to no avail. They have to spend all day in dull classrooms with conventional styles of teaching and material then go home to practice 2-4 hours a night of the same. It is disheartening and depressing. And there is very little time for fun or other avtuvitues that woukd enhance life and a wholistic education at their tender age.

Develops grit: Strongly disagree

Posted June 08, 2015
The children in the High School are overworked without being given the wisdom to understand the practical value and application of the knowledge they are required to learn by rote. They are cowered into this kind of extreme work ethic lest they fail. If they rebel or question, disagree or point out the lack of value of their teachers skills or the style of teaching ir the very premise of the material they are rejected ir fail. It is not grit they develop but result through oppression.

Develops respect: Strongly disagree

Posted June 08, 2015
Their standard of education and behavior is based on fear and obedience. As it is in the world. There can be no real respect when you have to follow irrelevant of value and truth.

Develops empathy: Strongly disagree

Posted June 08, 2015
There is no room for children that do not fit into their narrow mold of excelling. They have no compassion, empathy or active caring for unconventional children. How can they instill those values?

Develops honesty: Strongly disagree

Posted June 08, 2015
There is no integrity with their own mission statement and stated values. How can they instill integrity in others?

Friends Seminary 1

Posted June 08, 2015
This school is conventional. Stuck in same outmoded ideas about education that propagate the world that is.

Friends Seminary 2

Posted February 25, 2015
Absolutely horrible. The Administration seems to hate the students, teachers quarrel constantly, despite the almost $35,000 tuition the school seems to struggle for money. Due to the new schedule system this year, they eliminated all choice for english courses. Last year, there were 9 different options to chose from. As a student who has been here for 6 years now, I can say that this school is not a nice place to be. On the tour, everything is carefully planned, even down to the food you eat, which comes not from the cafeteria, but from a nearby restaurant.

Friends Seminary 5

Posted October 19, 2014
I love Friends. I have been going to Friends since Kindergarten (I am now starting my 9th grade year) and I absolutely love it. The people who are in my grade are some of the nicest people I've ever met and everybody is inviting. I don't feel excluded from anyone and I feel like I could talk to whoever I wanted to. I also love the teachers. I have always found the teachers to be really nice and really care about what they are doing. They make the class exciting. For example, physics is not my favorite subject, but I have a teacher who really loves what he does and it makes me like it because I enjoy learning from him. I feel like the school is my home. It's easy to build close relationships with teachers, staff, and other students because it is not such a big school. I really just love going to school at Friends everyday and I have fun learning. It is definitely my favorite school, and I would never consider going anywhere else.

Friends Seminary 2

Posted April 27, 2014
My daughter and son went to Friends. My daughter, staying until 8th grade and mr son, staying all the way through. The Lower School at Friends Seminary is fantastic! Many hands-on experiences and lovely teachers who really help shape your children all the way through. The Middle School is absolutely one of experiences of school your child can experience. My children could not stand it, even to the point of where we took my daughter out of school. The faculty are always watching the children closely, to the point of where they have no freedom or room to express themselves at school. The high school is okay, a lot of work, same problems with the faculty. Specifically, throughout middle school and high school at Friends, the teachers are extremely unprofessional. They pick favorites(all of the students can see who they are), they sometimes grade students BASED on who they are, and it is all just taking notes and rewriting them onto paper. My son also wanted to major in film and visual arts, but they have no real art curriculum! But I must say, the one thing you can only find at Friends, is Community, that is the one thing they know how to do...

222 East 16th Street, New York, NY  10003