K-12|Private

Bad
Good

Currently, most people answered Disagree (1 response)
Currently, most people answered Strongly disagree (1 response)
Currently, most people answered Strongly disagree (1 response)

Teacher effectiveness: Strongly disagree

The teachers are limited by a curriculum set a very long time ago, irrelevant and redundant in today's information era. They have to teach in old fashioned ways - in front if class talking to no end. They are not inspired and full of life. With few exceptions the teachers are not sensitive to the students but concerned with the material, the rules and the requirements.

Amount of homework: Disagree

excessive. Children and their parents have been complaining for as long as i have been there: 13 years to no avail. They have to spend all day in dull classrooms with conventional styles of teaching and material then go home to practice 2-4 hours a night of the same. It is disheartening and depressing. And there is very little time for fun or other avtuvitues that woukd enhance life and a wholistic education at their tender age.

Develops character: Strongly disagree

There is no integrity with their own mission statement and stated values. How can they instill integrity in others?

This school is conventional. Stuck in same outmoded ideas about education that propagate the world that is.

Absolutely horrible. The Administration seems to hate the students, teachers quarrel constantly, despite the almost $35,000 tuition the school seems to struggle for money. Due to the new schedule system this year, they eliminated all choice for english courses. Last year, there were 9 different options to chose from. As a student who has been here for 6 years now, I can say that this school is not a nice place to be. On the tour, everything is carefully planned, even down to the food you eat, which comes not from the cafeteria, but from a nearby restaurant.

I love Friends. I have been going to Friends since Kindergarten (I am now starting my 9th grade year) and I absolutely love it. The people who are in my grade are some of the nicest people I've ever met and everybody is inviting. I don't feel excluded from anyone and I feel like I could talk to whoever I wanted to. I also love the teachers. I have always found the teachers to be really nice and really care about what they are doing. They make the class exciting. For example, physics is not my favorite subject, but I have a teacher who really loves what he does and it makes me like it because I enjoy learning from him. I feel like the school is my home. It's easy to build close relationships with teachers, staff, and other students because it is not such a big school. I really just love going to school at Friends everyday and I have fun learning. It is definitely my favorite school, and I would never consider going anywhere else.

My daughter and son went to Friends. My daughter, staying until 8th grade and mr son, staying all the way through. The Lower School at Friends Seminary is fantastic! Many hands-on experiences and lovely teachers who really help shape your children all the way through. The Middle School is absolutely one of experiences of school your child can experience. My children could not stand it, even to the point of where we took my daughter out of school. The faculty are always watching the children closely, to the point of where they have no freedom or room to express themselves at school. The high school is okay, a lot of work, same problems with the faculty. Specifically, throughout middle school and high school at Friends, the teachers are extremely unprofessional. They pick favorites(all of the students can see who they are), they sometimes grade students BASED on who they are, and it is all just taking notes and rewriting them onto paper. My son also wanted to major in film and visual arts, but they have no real art curriculum! But I must say, the one thing you can only find at Friends, is Community, that is the one thing they know how to do...

I am a lifer at Friends, but am leaving for high school. I have felt many ways about this school. Friends really knows how to make an amazing lower school! I feel confident about my experience as a young child there. As for middle school, Friends is extremely inconsistent. The teachers range from traditional to progressive, and from engaging to plainly just taking notes and regurgitating them. Since I am in 8th grade and my brother is a junior, I know and have been learning a lot about the high school at Friends. It is very hard, as you have a lot of homework causing you to have no social life outside of study groups. It is in NO WAY indulged in the arts or sports no matter what they say. Friends biggest mistake was getting rid of their dark room, and most faculty even agree. Friends is solely based around academics(at least compared to other schools)no matter what they tell you while you're touring. Also, it being rigorous does in no way mean that it is one of the top schools in the US or NYC for that matter. This all being said, if you feel passionate that Friends is the school for you, don't let my view on it discourage you.

I graduated from Friends in 2009 and in the fall of 2012 my sister will enroll in high school. We don't yet know where she will end up, but I truly hope it will be Friends. Friends is very strong in the humanities, particularly English. At the end of 12th grade, a few of the members of the class of 2008 returned for a discussion panel on what the transition from Friends to college is like. They assured as that with a Friends education, we could expect the transition to be quite easy. According to the alums, Friends students need not worry about time management issues, writing woes, or challenges in building a group of close friends. When I entered college, I found the same to be true. Admittedly I underprepared a bit for my first college exam (Intro to Psych), but later I discovered that I did a good 20% better than another girl from a prestigious LA prep school. I'd like for my sister to attend Friends not only because I know she will get a top-notch education, but also because I'm sure that she'll be accepted by the other students and find a social circle that she feels comfortable in. In middle school I had a lot of trouble fitting in but at Friends I felt right at home.

I'm a lifer at Friends and I've always loved it here; the sense of community and the rigorous but fun classes offered have always been what kept me coming back every year. I cannot picture my life without Quaker meeting in the mornings, and as recently as two years ago I cannot even begin to imagine I'd ever give Friends less than a five out of five stars. However, I feel that Friends has changed a lot since I started in 2000, and some of these changes I don't like. I find that more and more, Friends is accepting the kinds of kids I'd find at Dalton or Horace Mann, and that the families that were accepted when I started (including my own) I cannot imagine being accepted today. My family is quirky, and we're certainly not the family that you would find being accepted at an Upper East Side prep school, and quite frankly I wouldn't want to be. Friends used to be more aligned with the Quakers, but lately I just don't see it nearly as much. I love Friends for the priceless education I've received here, and for the life-long friends I've made here, but in my opinion, Friends needs to do a little soul-searching and get back to it's roots where it belongs - in Quakerism.

Last modified Friends Seminary is a Private school that serves grades K-12