/ School Profile
New York, NY

Posted May 01, 2014
My son is in his second year at The Cathedral School and he loves it. He feels loved by his early childhood teachers and feels comfortable in the classroom and at the school as a whole. The Nursery and Pre-K teachers are phenomenal, bright, enthusiastic, and nurturing. Teachers always offer time to talk about concerns. I never feel like I'm being blown-off, and I have experienced the NYC public school system so I know what that feels like! The after school program is also excellent offering a wide variety of courses taught by the same great teachers. This is a small, private, community based school where the children feel loved and comfortable. Parents can get as involved as they choose without pressure. I look forward to watching my child grow at the school in the upcoming years.

The Cathedral School 4

Posted April 07, 2014
We have been at The Cathedral School since kindergarten and now in the fourth grade. The entire school, including our daughter has such wonderful self-esteem and feels very comfortable on stage, in class, and in discussions with her teachers and other adults. I believe this self-esteem is due to the attention and sincere involvement that the teachers provide. The Cathedral School provides a classic education. One that will belong to the student throughout their education. I don't too often hear a 4th grader speak about reading the Illiad, but they do at TCS. There is a very interested a strong parent body. True there is a change in administration, which is to support the mission of the school. This occurs at any school or organization, over time. It is a healthy change. The physical facility of the school can use some sprucing up; however, the academics are why we are there and our daughter gets the same experiences here, with the more antiquated physical building that she would get at any other private school. She LOVES to go to school. In what other school would you receive immediate feedback from your teacher on whatever concern that you might have?

Posted April 06, 2014
This is a great school. My oldest has attended for 4 years and my youngest for 3. The school community is very grounded and unpretentious. The focus is on the kids' education. My children have been very happy. I am thrilled to see the school deal head on with the management issues. The board and the PA have had open communication with the parents and all the changes they are making have been well thought out. We feel lucky to be a part of this community.

Posted April 06, 2014
My daughter has attended the Cathedral School for eight years. In that time she has had exceptional teachers that have guided her both academically and socially. She has completed a year of high school algebra. She has analyzed the great themes and challenges of the human experience through literature (from Homer and Sophocles to Twain, Hemingway and Orwell) and world history. She has studied the principal concepts and methodologies of biology, geology and the physical sciences as well as the mythological traditions of the Greek, Norse and Native American Cultures. She departs for high school happy, engaged and grounded in the values of a classical education. I could not ask for more.

Posted April 05, 2014
An amazing school with so much to offer. It is our third year there and so far our son and we all as a family have been very happy. We have no Greek ties, still feel totally as a part of the community. When a Greek TV was in school our son was sent to represent his class. Really good teachers, who recognize needs of each kid. Great curriculum and willingness to make it even better. Since a new Board was appointed, they managed to establish really good and transparent communication with the parents. PA working hard to include as many parents as possible.

The Cathedral School 4

Posted April 05, 2014
My daughter has been at the school for 3 years and my son for 2 years. They love it and are very happy. The teachers are dedicated and nurturing. There have been changes in the school board and they are in the process of hiring a new head of school. The process has been very transparent and the new board's goals are consistent with industry standards of excellence. We believe the school administration is only getting better and moving in the right direction. There are currently over 160 children at the school and the classes are small and nurturing. Both of my children jump out of bed in the morning and can't wsit to get to school. Both will tell you they love Cathedral and more importantly that they love to learn!g

Posted April 04, 2014
My Son has been at this school going on 3 years and he loves it. My husband and I are very happy with the education he is receiving. He was tested and placed in G&T and we had to make the decision about where to send him. We came to the conclusion that our sons was doing so well because of the teachers at the school, so why change what is working. It is a small gem of a private school on the UES. The school is going under some changes to update the image that school is just a Greek School. In my sons class alone there are 9 countries just in this one grade, from Korea to SA and lots in between. We are very happy with our decision to send our son here. If you look hard enough at the private school in NYC, there can always be something to pick at, Dalton has had kids jump from windows, Horace Mann had major problem with relationships between a teacher and students last year, and it is my fear that the post below is from an employee who has been let go and not a parent, which is rather sad and what happens when you have post where you don't have to leave your name.

The Cathedral School 1

Posted March 13, 2014
Too many problems at this school. They go through teachers and priests like nothing. One leaves and another gets tired. Too many politics!. The old school board was let go and there is a new board now. They are trying to make changes! Yea good luck with that! The principal is being fired this is her last year!. Word is she lasted this long because she had close ties to the old school board. I regret sending my child to this school. There was no heat for over a month during the coldest month of the year! Always full of excuses saying they were working on it! Tuition is going up again!! Where is all the money going? Most of it goes to the church? They cant tell us where the money is going! The management and leadership is very very weak. Teachers can be great though!. I see a review on 2/1/13 I bet you that was management promoting their school!! Headcount going up? Yea right because parents don't know half the problems that exist at this "school". Their learning at this school is questionable.

Posted February 01, 2013
This school is an AMAZING find on the UES! No factory here! This is an intimate school where PHENOMENAL teachers are more like family. The school size of about 155 students is just enough for these kids to learn in small class sizes and to develop meaningful interpersonal friendship among themselves and their teachers and administrators. A new Board of Directors has defined and is executing a responsible growth strategy and vision for the school for its facilities and educational programs. They have already delivered on a number of initiatives, including: a new state-of-the-art computer facility, a revamped science program, and the introduction of Singapore math. Plans are in the works for a handwriting improvement program, a robotics program, and facility renovations and expansions. An annual lecture series and a robust after-school program are icing on this cake! The added benefits of learning both Modern and Ancient Greek (the basis of many English vocabulary words) helps students excel when they move on to high schools and colleges. The secret is out as the student headcount has grown by more than 50% in the past few years. GET IN NOW WHILE THERE ARE STILL OPENINGS!!

Posted April 02, 2012
We are just about to finish our first year at The Cathedral School and it has been a great year. My son loves his teachers, very much enjoys going to school and has made lots of friends. On the academic side he has thrives, he is read full sentences (3-4 length words) and has developed a love of books. His greek is pretty good for a 4 year old, enough now that he can say basic things to our greek friends at the dinner. The teachers and staff are extremely attentive to each student and helps them explore things that may interest them (planets, space, etc). The school is affliated with the Greek church, but this is no different than most private schools in NYC, they all have some connection to a church. I would say more than half of my sons class are non greeks. The Cathedral School is a true find on the UES.

The Cathedral School