/ School Profile
New York, NY

The Churchill School and Center 2

Posted May 28, 2014
Lots of superior attitude from Head of School in particular with not much to back it up. Don't expect your child to get any individual attention if he/she has a disability that is not pure dyslexia. In addition if your child is bright or high functioning be prepared to hear frequently that they are dealing with kids with "real problems" . A huge amount of everyone time's goes into the kids that seem to have problems that are beyond the scope of the school which tells you it is the Harvard of LD schools. The school started out with so much potential but the last 5 years it has just been lurching along.

The Churchill School and Center 3

Posted April 12, 2014
It's been a pretty good experience this year, but every time I'm in the hallway there seems to be at least one crisis situation unfolding. If this is a school for LD kids then why do I keep hearing screaming and yelling "I hate you!" and "I'm going to kill myself!" And to top it off, administrator is standing in the next classroom chatting away instead of handling it. Each grade seems to have at least one kid with severe emotional problems and each year it seems to get worse. My kid has enough trouble focusing without the constant circus. We've looked elsewhere but it's all too expensive or far away, so unless he can mainstream we'll put up with it.

Posted June 13, 2013
My son has been attending Churchill since the 3rd grade. He is currently in the 6th grade and doing wonderfullly. He is thriving and educationally and socially and we couldn't ask for a better school. His teachers are caring and truly want to bring out the best in the students. We were not accepted our first attempt to apply, but didn't let that discourage us and applied again the next year and got in!!!! Churchill's record speaks for itself and there is always a waiting list for students trying to enroll. I feel like I won the lottery.

Posted May 08, 2013
Churchill is a miraculous place. Every child should be so lucky as to have the personalized attention that the students at Churchill receive. The teacher student ratio is a big part of the equation but the level of commitment from the entire staff and faculty is like nothing I have ever experienced as a parent of 3, in 3 different schools or as a teacher myself. The whole child is nurtured at Churchill and students are taught to advocate for themselves. I couldn't be happier with the change I've see in my child over the last 3 years of being at Churchill. We are very blessed to have a place like this for our child with LD.

The Churchill School and Center 1

Posted April 12, 2013
Churchill - rudest admissions in NYC. Having gone through the extensive and stressful application process for a child with special needs and dealt with helpful, friendly, compassionate people at so many NYC schools, I was shocked and appalled at how rude the head of admissions was at Churchill. Shameful.

The Churchill School and Center 2

Posted October 02, 2012
*saved my life ugghh see don't send your kid there. they'll never learn to spell or proper syntax I'm telling you man the high school's a joke

Posted February 21, 2009

Posted January 30, 2009
Churchill is a fabulous place to send your child to school/daycare. My daughter attended school there since she was 2. She was in the daycare room part-time and the preschool when she was 3 and 4. The staff are all wonderful and very loving. They truely care about the childrens needs. I was extremely happy with the quality of education and the marvelous teachers. I am speaking not only as a parent, but as a teacher of special needs children as well. I have worked with several students in the preschool. The teachers are terrific about accomodating the individual needs of the children (with disabilities) and open to helping the children in every way possible.

Posted March 30, 2008
Churchill's approach to educating children with learning differences is nothing short of spectacular. My son, a 7th grader, has attended since kindergarten, and he would never have achieved his present level of academic success without the constant support of the school's teachers and administrators. Small class size is key. In the elementary school, a typical reading group has one teacher and only four or five students. Middle school groups are larger, but only slightly: my son s middle school English class has ten students. Each child s areas of accomplishment and difficulty are continuously evaluated it's not unusual for a child to switch to a different level math or reading group within the course of a school year if such a change is warranted. Many of the special services that Churchill students require, such as speech therapy or O.T., are provided at school during the day. Simply put, Churchill is amazing.

Posted March 23, 2006

The Churchill School and Center
301 East 29th Street, New York, NY  10016
Last modified The Churchill School and Center is a Private school that serves grades K-12
The Churchill School and Center Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 11 reviews. Top