7-12|Private

Bad
Good

Currently, most people answered Disagree (1 response)
Currently, most people answered Neutral (1 response)

Clueless school. Ok if you're very rich or very poor (only then will they cut you some slack). TERRIBLE facilities, not worth a tenth of the tuition. Class syllabi are ancient, teachers are tired.

One of the great schools in NYC. The curriculum is founded on understanding rather than achievement in standardized testing. This is a school for gifted/bright kids who can't tolerate what is now called learning in the public schools. It is small, intense, challenging, and about as close to college as you can get. The emphasis is on the person and learning rather than grades. Great fun lively and enriching environment housed in a brownstone!

Absolutely terrible school. They claim to be "therapeutic" and yet caused me more damage while I was there than I had arrived with. I'm now a Sophomore at NYU and completely happy with my life, but it took me years of therapy to deal with the abuse that I endured while I attended RLS. Do not send your children here.

Amazing school, I'm a new student, and I absolutely love being here. It's the only school that has ever worked for me.

Stevenson saved my son. He had a great connection with the Dean when he first got there. So much so that he said, "for the first time, someone really understands how I feel". He didn't dread going to school any longer. He felt really comfortable and accepted. This school believed in my son and succeeded in helping him believe in himself. He's in college now and doing well.

I've worked at Stevenson for the past 9 years. I love this school! We have very little staff turnover and everyone works together well. Everyone who works here truly believes in Stevenson's mission and works here because they want to make a difference. We are supported by a Learning Specialist, Educational Coordinator, therapist, and the Clinical Director. We are encouraged to differentiate instruction for students who need it. I always feel supported when I want to try new things. I've never worked in such a strong, supportive environment. A happy staff definitely makes for a better environment for students. I would send my own children here if they were in need of additional support and a small classroom experience.

I agree with the review posted on July 19, 2011. It's a therapeutic school that my child needed therapy because of attending!!!!

This is a very unique school. Students get in depth personal interaction with teachers and staff since the school is very small and the ratio of teachers to students is low. The staff is supportive and makes a big effort towards the growth and progress of each student, both academically and emotionally. Students come from around the city and area so there is a varied student body. Each student is valued, and their own unique talents developed and encouraged. I would highly recommend this school to anyone looking for a progressive and one of a kind school. My son has done well and flourished there, as with many of the students, his self esteem has improved dramatically.

My son came to Robert Louis Stevenson School after spending his 9th and 10th years of High School doing virtually nothing. His attendance record was terrible and his academic achievement worse. He is in his second year at Stevenson and has made great strides. He has learned how to be a student again through the program at Stevenson. The amount of oversight and guidance provided by the excellent Advisory program and the small class size has been instrumental in my son's progress. We were at the end of our rope and my son was quickly running out of options. Now my son is actually thinking about his future and our whole family is benefiting from his enrollment at Stevenson.

For the right child, this high school definitely deserves a look. My sister s son was in a fast track Manhattan private school. Due to a combination of factors, he fell off the track grades getting worse, social problems, and his mood and conduct hit bottom. I m not sure how my sister found it, but this school turned out to be the answer for my nephew. For the first time in years he was not just willing to go to school, he was happy (and for the first time in years, I didn t have to brain-storm with my crying sister about how to handle him). His grades improved and slowly his confidence came back. He is attending college now and I don t know if that would have happened except for Robert Louis Stevenson. If you have a kid who is struggling, you might want to have a look at this school.

Last modified Robert Louis Stevenson School is a Private school that serves grades 7-12