/ School Profile
New York, NY

Teacher effectiveness: Very effective

Posted July 09, 2015
My child has been enrolled for three years. Each year, the teachers' communication with me about his progress has been proactive and helpful. Even during the summer, at the start of camp, they stayed in touch to make sure his transition into camp was going well, to let us know how they were supporting him, and to seek ideas from us about how they could help support him. I am constantly impressed by their above-and-beyond commitment to my child.

Amount of homework: Don't know

Posted July 09, 2015
My son is in kindergarten. He didn't have homework. The very few projects we had to complete at home (his "person of the week" journal which we did once, and a weekly list of "letter of the week" words) felt appropriate to me.

Develops honesty: Strongly agree

Posted July 09, 2015
"The Golden Rule" seems to be a huge part of the school's message. Even my kindergartener knows to treat others the way he wants to be treated. I think the religious/spiritual nature of the school supports that, but this attitude is part of the classroom dynamic as well.

Posted July 09, 2015
The faculty and families here are warm and welcoming. While there is plenty of money in the community, it doesn't feel like such an important part of the culture. Parents don't tend to be ostentatious; they seem to want their children to remain innocent and wholesome, and this is supported by the culture created by the faculty. Teachers know their students. The administration works hard to communicate clearly and consistently. As a newbie to the NYC private school world, I have felt welcomed and relieved by the community spirit here.

Posted April 06, 2015
This school is an amazing school. It deserves five stars all the way! I am a student and I love it here! Everyone accepts you for who you are. All the teachers are so helpful,smart,and fun! I have been her for 9 years and I've loved every bit of it!
2 people found this helpful

St Hilda's & St Hugh's School 3

Posted February 20, 2015
Head of School's mercurial personality is causing morale problems within the administration and parent body. She runs hot and cold and it's painful--especially for children--to be cast aside due to her extreme mood swings.

St Hilda's & St Hugh's School 1

Posted August 28, 2013
The administration/teaching staff are not experienced in managing students with special needs, including gifted but needing social/emotional development support. Unlike most private schools and all NYC public schools, SHSH does not have a staff social worker, psychologist or learning specialist (except an in-house remedial reading aide). The school is "open" to accommodating in-class resources parents provide (paid by family) but isn't equipped to offer professional guidance on how to identify needs and source related services. SHSH does not independently assess qualifications of resources brought into the school by parents (or conduct/require background checks), yet will add to their referral list. Much too late I found that SHSH wasn't a good fit for my child and they handled the transition in a very awful, unprofessional way. Fortunately a new school with experienced administrators, caring teachers and seasoned professionals have helped my child regain her love of learning. If you want your child to learn in a diverse environment that can support special needs, either for your child, or to teach your child empathy for others, SHSH may not be the place for your family.

St Hilda's & St Hugh's School 1

Posted November 17, 2012
Head master seems more interested in fundraising and expanding school than in dealing with individual students. The school has no learning specialist to deal with children who have advanced or remedial needs. They expect you to bring one in at your own expense...and many families do. Some faculty are great but others are just mediocre or worse. This school was a great disappointment for my family.

Posted September 20, 2011
Hi i am one of the students at St.Hildas and i was just trying to get to the school website when i found this review. Our school completely deserves five stars! I have learned so much from my teachers and i have learned so much from just being in an area where we all get along. I am in that band you mention. It is alot of fun and again I have learned so much. We go on lots of field trips in my school so we get exposure to museums and historical places that we would otherwise not get. I am in 6th grade and i am enjoying it and i cannot wait for more!

Posted June 16, 2011
I absolutely love this school. I have been a parent since 2002, and every year I am impressed all over again.

619 West 114th Street, New York, NY  10025
(212) 932-1980
Last modified St Hilda's & St Hugh's School is a Private school that serves grades PK-8
St Hilda's & St Hugh's School Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 31 reviews. Top