PK-8|Private

Bad
Good

Currently, most people answered Neutral (2 responses)
Currently, most people answered Strongly agree (2 responses)
Currently, most people answered Strongly disagree (2 responses)
Currently, most people answered Strongly disagree (1 response)
Currently, most people answered Neutral (2 responses)
Currently, most people answered Strongly disagree (2 responses)

Supports LD students: Agree

My son is a bright kid with some anxiety. In the preschool/K years he got a lot of one-on-one attention. Now in first grade the work is somewhat differentiated. I don't think the school specializes in learning differences but there seem to be systems in place to work with kids who need some additional help and to provide enrichment for others.

Effective school leaders: Agree

The head of school and division leaders greet students and parents in the lobby almost every day. They know my children by name. My son has some anxiety issues and the head of the lower division has been intimately involved in helping us with it. I value her guidance without reservation.

Teacher effectiveness: Strongly agree

This is my son's fifth year at the school. Each year, the teachers' communication with me about his progress has been proactive and helpful. Even during the summer, at the start of camp, they stayed in touch to make sure his transition into camp was going well, to let us know how they were supporting him, and to seek ideas from us about how they could help support him. I am constantly impressed by their above-and-beyond commitment to my child.

Amount of homework: Strongly agree

In kindergarten, they don't give homework, which was a relief compared to many of my friends with kids at public and parochial schools! We did have a few projects to complete at home (his "person of the week" journal which we did once, and a weekly list of "letter of the week" words), and these felt appropriate to me. Now in first grade, he has very short assignments each night, along with a reading log—he has to spend 15 minutes reading with a grown-up each day. We'll see how it goes as he gets older!

Handles bullying effectively: Agree

I am very surprised by the other reviews here. It is as if we are talking about a different school. I only offer "agree" rather than "strongly agree" because I have not seen bullying exist. Social challenges that my son had in kindergarten were handled sensitively and expediently.

Develops character: Strongly agree

This is what the school is all about. "The golden rule" -- do unto others -- seems to be recurring theme in the classroom and through their chapel program. We're not a religious family but having values as part of the program is extremely important to us, and the school is doing it well.

The faculty and families here are warm and welcoming. While there is plenty of money in the community, it doesn't feel like such an important part of the culture. Parents don't tend to be ostentatious; they seem to want their children to remain innocent and wholesome, and this is supported by the culture created by the faculty. Teachers know their students. The administration works hard to communicate clearly and consistently. As a newbie to the NYC private school world, I have felt welcomed and relieved by the community spirit here.

Handles bullying effectively: Neutral

See the review and decide for yourself. Every school has some bullying, but maybe what matters is how schools handle it.

Supports LD students: Neutral

There is a learning specialist and most of us have used it at some point. It's not a bid deal. My friend had to leave school though, and maybe it was because of his learning issues.

Effective school leaders: Disagree

Leadership cannot be effective if trust is gone between the student body, parents, and administrative staff.

Last modified St Hilda's & St Hugh's School is a Private school that serves grades PK-8