PK-8|Private

Bad
Good

This school is a joke. For the price they charge you should spend your money elsewhere. Kids at 8 who still can't read or write and no structure or plan. We shall be out by the end of the year. Unfortunately it has been one big mistake for us to ever sign up our child.

This schools is great,maple children make happy learners and that's what they have here. No parents trying to show off and impress...so that makes for a friendly parent group. The teachers are patient and amazing...send your kids here...they will have a great experience and love education

The secret to most New York private schools is that they only admit the sorts of kids they want to produce. The school claims to produce kids good at science? That means they admit only kids already good at science. Bank Street is similar, but it specializes in kids who are very nice. Ask at any of the high schools these kids move on to -- Bank Street graduates are the nicest ones there. Is this because of the Bank Street curriculum? Maybe, but I suspect they also select for such children and work to guide out the ones who don't fit in. The academics are good and the kids graduate as confident learners.

This is quite honestly a hoax of a school. They fancy themselves as the Chicago lab school and fail on multiple counts. Worse yet is the communication from admin. Example, our child has been in crisis. Told the mom pre Christmas and we assume attorneys in jan said hey did anyone call dad? They didn't. Only after calling dad did counseling occur for child. If you write the actual check, that's what matters. Won't waste your time on the failure of the academics. Grade:F

I am a 6th grader at Bank Street. This school is great. It has all diversity. They focus on school work and also after school activity. This school is the best private school in New York . I am planning to go to Beacon. I really hope I can. Lastly, Bank Street helps a lot with education. You learn a lot, and gain smartness.

Bank Street offers a deep education based on observation, inquiry, and a profound respect for the social world and environment. Because the fundamentals of language and mathematical thinking are instilled in such a thorough, developmentally sound fashion, the children are ultimately use these building blocks to think with real sophistication and creativity. This has been an excellent education for my child!

Bank Street is an absolutely incredible place, and the experiences and values I have gained there will continue to resinate with me throughout the rest of my life. This past year (June 2012), I graduated from Bank Street, and I'm currently continuing my education at Friends Seminary. After my 10 years spent at Bank Street, it has truly become a home to me. The people in this school are charming, kind, interesting, and over just wonderful to be with. Friendships have formed at Bank Street that will last a lifetime. Nothing can ever compare to Bank Street, as it stands proud and tall as a unique environment where every student it made to feel confident and comfortable with who they are. It's now 4 months after my graduation, and I cannot express to you how much I long for just one more day in this sacred place. Bank Street is a fantastic place for physical, intelectual, and emotional growth. I can only hope that you take these things to heart as you choose a school.

I have kids in both the lower and middle school at Bank Street and we have found it to be a supportive and inclusive community - sincerely committed to the joy of learning, social justice and the "whole child" It is a unique place in the NY private school world. Bank Street is really "child centered" with social/emotional growth valued along with academics. As a result, the school turns out happy kids who love to go to school - without the anxious stomach aches that I observe in the children of friends at other schools. Bank Street has only gotten better under the leadership of the impressive new Dean, Alexis Wright. In short, Bank Street kids are given the gift of a supported happy childhood, but are also prepped to go onward - ending up at wonderful secondary schools. There is fantastic outplacement: top NYC public high schools (Stuyvesant, Bronx Science) day schools (Dalton, Fieldston, Riverdale) AND boarding schools (Andover, Hotchkiss). Top colleges follow as well. A special place.

My son entered this school in 3rd grade--the school did nothing to acclimate him academically, and as a new parent I felt the parent body is quite clique-y, as well as extremely affluent. This renders the atmosphere not as diverse as they claim to be in my opinion. There is also no transportation to and from the school. My son's classroom teacher was not friendly, and quite a strict workhorse (she gave my son 3 hours of homework on Halloween). All in all, I wish we had never enrolled. The electives are good, and the hot lunch program in outstanding...but none of this justifies the astronomical tuition. They talk a lot about the 'whole child' except I've seen none of this in reality.

only go here if you are entering at preschool, not any later. this is because if you come to bankstreet late you are immediatley labeled as a social outcast. from a very observant teacher

Last modified Bank Street School for Children is a Private school that serves grades PK-8