/ School Profile
New York, NY
Before care: Yes
School principal icon 130x130 140902

School Official Point of View

Hello, I am the new Head of School at Corlears, David Egolf. The past few months have been such a pleasure for me, getting to know this terrific community! We are a school for children ages 2 through 10 and we are located in one of the most dynamic, exciting neighborhoods in New York City, Chelsea. Corlears is filled with energy and the sounds of joyful students who are engaged and curious about the community they live in and the world around them. They are compassionate and creative, eager to take on new challenges and to pursue new paths to finding solutions. Our students love Corlears and love to learn. Here are the reasons why: *Our academic program develops innovative thinking, collaboration, and communication skills. *Kindness, respect, and integrity are prized in every interaction at Corlears. *Small size... every child is important at Corlears. *A focus on the early years to fifth grade... setting students up for success in middle school and beyond. Graduates from Corlears are capable, compassionate innovators who move on to one of their first choice schools for middle school. They are ready, eager, and confident they will meet the challenges ahead with success. From their journey here, they have learned about themselves and have important insights into the schools that feel right for them. Please explore our website and discover the richness of our program. Come see Corlears and feel the excitement and energy that our children feel every day. Take a tour; meet our faculty; see for yourself our light-filled, spacious classrooms. I promise you will wish that you had gone to Corlears when you were a child. I look forward to meeting you soon. Sincerely, David Egolf, Head of School
September 21, 2014

Posted September 01, 2014
There are a few happy families at the school... the ones who give big donations, and receive special attention from the administration. These are the parents coming on here with good reviews to try and counteract the truth, which is not all roses and unicorns. If you are looking into sending your child to Corlears, please take the negative reviews seriously, and show up to tours with questions about attrition, curriculum, etc. Good luck!

Posted September 01, 2014
My son will be starting his third year at Corlears (he is almost 5 years old). We have had a great experience at Corlears, and we are excited for the upcoming year. The teachers provide a nurturing environment and challenge our son in ways that engage his curiosity and encourage him to try new things. The staff and administration are very supportive, and we have enjoyed being a part of the Corlears community. We could not be happier at Corlears!

Posted August 31, 2014
We feel lucky to have found Corlears. It is a very special place. Our 3 children (2 boys and a girl) have all thrived there, and the two who have graduated were well prepared and moved with confidence to their new schools. Corlears has a real commitment to its progressive philosophy. For example, children help shape the various studies each year and, as a result, feel a deep connection to and sense of ownership of their learning, and real partnership with their teachers. When one of my children faced academic challenges, the teachers and specialists jumped on the problem right away, kept us involved as they developed a plan, and then worked with our child to help him move through his difficulties and continue as a successful learner. I credit their loving and skilled guidance with my son's continued love of school in the face of obstacles. In addition, Corlears is a small nurturing environment, where multi-age experiences deepen learning, build confidence, and foster empathy. It s a place that values kindness and keeps children younger longer.

Posted August 29, 2014
My two children attended Corlears from their first year in pre-school through to graduation. Though the kids are different (one boy, one girl, different learning styles and interests), they both had great experiences there. Teacher quality was, in general, extremely strong, and the occasional issue was always dealt with professionally. The philosophical underpinnings of the school (e.g., primacy of the child, meeting kids and families where THEY are, focus on inquiry-based learning) are deeply rooted, which creates a coherent curriculum and an early education that has genuine integrity. We came to appreciate these qualities even more when we watched how our kids thrived in middle school. I have also heard very favorable things about the new Head, so I expect what was already great will become even better.

Corlears School 1

Posted August 28, 2014
This school is a shambles. Administrators are sourced from long-standing teachers rather than recruiting the best professionals for the job. Accordingly, major problems remain the same rather than receiving the benefit of new eyes to fix them. Most teachers too wear the malaise of tenure: low performance, low motivation and no accountability. The curriculum is set so that teachers teach to a ceiling rather than meeting children's individual needs. Academics are poor all round and administration remains out of touch with the standards being met at other independent schools and neighborhood public schools. Student attrition rates are very high as parents eventually realize problems are not being addressed. The better teachers walk away too. This school has lost the 'progressive' in its attempt to deliver progressive education. While a serviceable preschool, this school is not a serious elementary school.

Posted June 23, 2014
We HATED this school. While it's fine for preschool-aged kids, my kid ultimately learned nothing and was stuck in a class size that got smaller and smaller as all of the other kids left. Save yourself a headache and don't enroll.

Posted April 03, 2014
There are some fine teachers at this school. But, unfortunately, it's luck of the draw. Sadly, there is an absence of strong, active leadership here to bring some parity across the quality of the faculty. Some staff members have been here too long, they simply lack the perspective and enthusiasm to respond to matters that need attention. The academic curriculum too has some major gaps, especially mathematics. From about age 5 & 6, most parents supplement math out-of-school to ensure their kids keep up with the state curriculum. This school could be great, but needs someone at the helm who can implement the necessary changes to make it happen.

Posted April 01, 2014
My son is a graduate of Corlears School and I could not be happier with his experience. He has taken to the 6th grade in ways I could not have imagined and i can see a direct result from his Corlears experience. Corlears was great for him as a boy, amazing academically (as a 6th grader they put him in 7th grade math in his new school, which is very academic itself), but most of all, he knows how to be an amazing world citizen: thoughtful, creative, and a critical thinker. A school is made of teachers and students, and both at Corlears are top notch. There are so many opportunities for parents to get involved and educated about the process, that if you come out of the school not understanding progressive education you've done yourself a disservice. It wasn't always easy for my son, and I didn't expect it to be, but now I have this young man who understands himself what his learning style is and knows how to advocate on his own behalf. Corlears' focus on early education is the key and is more important to his educational history than any other schooling he will go through. Strong roots result in strong, fruitful trees, and as the kids sing every week, their roots go down.

Posted March 31, 2014
Both my children attended Corlears through fifth grade, and they are now thriving in another school. Corlears gave them a terrific foundation, particularly in building social-emotional skills at an early age. And I really miss the child-centered learning approach now that my kids are in a more traditional environment, not to mention the super-nurturing feel of the school (teachers, facilities, parents,and so on). Lastly, I thought the 100% focus on early ed was a huge plus that is really hard to find elsewhere.

Posted March 25, 2014
I have two children who attend Corlears, a 5 year old boy and a 3 year old girl, as a family we could not be happier with the school and the education our children are receiving. Corlears is truly a community gem that few seem to know about. The staff are, without exception, amazing and the parent body great. My husband and I both come from a family of educators and we looked to them when we began our search for the right educational environment for our children, Corlears came top of the list. The development of both our children whilst at Corlears never ceases to amaze us and fill us with pride. They are nurtured, encouraged, challenged and supported in all aspects of their lives.

Corlears School