/ School Profile
New York, NY

York Prep School 2

Posted February 10, 2015
This school has strengths and weaknesses, like all schools. Its strengths are that it can accommodate all kinds of learners and has a good program for both gifted kids and learning disabled kids. Its weakness is that it's a for profit school, and is ultimately a business. The principal owns the school and answers to no-one so some feel it's a bit of a monarchy-slash-dictatorship rather than, you know, a nice village where people come together to educate kids. This can also be problematic given that his first career (many years ago) was in the law, rather than education. There's nothing wrong with that per se, except that lawyers just think differently than educators, and given the choice, many parents would not necessarily entrust their kids to the care of a lawyer. Having said all that, there are some good teachers, especially in history and math.

York Prep School 3

Posted May 15, 2014
The school is a good high school for students grades 6-12 who want a really good learning experience with great teachers and convient within New York City. I enjoyed the learning experience that I got there and enjoyed the teachers and made new friends when I was there. The school can improve on its curriculum and creating less of a bullying/teasing atmosphere while building on its strong base of giving struggling and challenging students a great education and tools to help them in the future as they go to college.

York Prep School 3

Posted September 18, 2013
PROS: Teachers are generally warm and attentive to every student. Very organized; even formerly 'struggling' students get basic skills and a sense of how to approach every task. Lovely people in admin. CONS: Slightly formulaic, not-very-creative curriculum at times, but that's OK. Socially challenging, with cliquey rich kids, some kids who don't care that much about learning, and too much teasing & teenage who's-in-who's-out drama (difficult to handle when your whole class is only 12 kids).

York Prep School 4

Posted June 11, 2011
I actually found the admissions staff to be one of the kindest of all NYC private schools. They called back in a timely manner, showed compassion, enthusiasm in a professional manner. These schools are hard to gain acceptance to, but if your child did not get in,it stings, but you must believe this was then not the school for them.

York Prep School 1

Posted March 17, 2011
A most unprofessional staff in admissions. if this is an indication of the quality and care of the school staff, I would defintiely not recommend this school.

York Prep School 4

Posted November 13, 2009
York Prep is an amazing school. i am a former student and the teachers are dedicated to the students. I definitely felt welcomed by everyone. If you like a warm , friendly, and challenging environment, this is the school for you.

Posted February 11, 2009
The following is a modified version of the thank you letter I sent to Mrs. Stewart, the Director of College Guidance at York, after I was accepted to the Wharton School. Truly an excellent job on their part: Dear Mrs. Stewart, I know very few people that have as much passion, commitment, and feeling for their job, as you. Thank you for all of the time you put in to help me get accepted to the college of my dreams. It wouldn't have been possible without you and the rest of the supportive staff at York. You answered my emails within minutes, returned my essays with insightful annotations right-away, and truly made me feel comfortable with whatever I needed at any point along the process. Going to Wharton is beyond a dream come true. I am so glad to represent York, and hope to start a trend, establishing a York legacy at Penn.

York Prep School

Posted December 05, 2008
I am attending york prep now and i am in 9th grade. I love it, the school community is AMAZING and i felt welcomed the second i step foot into the lobby =]

Posted October 24, 2008
Great School, York Prep has a great all round program and great teachers. I recommend it to all and everyone who lives in the area.

Posted March 03, 2008
York Prep has done an outstanding job in understanding the students' strengths and building on them to help students reach their fullest potential. My daughter was struggling in the eighth grade when she arrived at York Prep and now she's on to Brown University this fall. York Prep made her believe she could reach for the stars. We are forever grateful.

York Prep School