/ School Profile
New York, NY

The Child School 4

Posted December 04, 2014
The school is excellent for addressing learning disabilities, social, and behavioral issues. They made a huge difference for my son when he started there in the middle of elementary school. The down side is the school is not academically challenging AT ALL. In middle school, my son comes home with 20 minutes of homework every night, if any at all. 3 months into the school year, most of his time is being spent reviewing things they already learned last year. Though I am forever grateful to the school for helping him get through a very difficult period in which public school would not work, I wish there was a better balance of special needs focus and academic challenge with more differential learning. Sadly, we will be moving on soon to a place where my son can now focus on the education he needs.

The Child School 3

Posted January 21, 2014
My child has attended this school for a few years now. Some classes/buildings are overcrowded, but this doesn't effect the quality of the Teachers ability to provide the best possible service that they can anywhere they can. In short that means that the staff can be very creative and pliable when it needs to be. The school is working to better itself and it's teachers in order to give the children who attend the school the best education possible. With time I'd like to add a star. Right now they are doing an average job.

Posted September 26, 2013
A wonderful school for smart kids with support from dedicated teachers and therapists. The school provides a strong academic environment with support for learning disabilities. An outstanding designated private special education school for elementary, middle, and high school students. We are very glad we came here.

Posted September 26, 2013
My son struggled through public elementary school with a speech and processing disorder, as well as ADHD and some spectrum traits/behaviors. the Public school atmosphere broke his spirit. He started The Child School in the summer before 6th grade and became a new person. He started to LOVE school, his teachers, his peers, and everyone noticed a change. He no longer acts out in class but is a well behaved, polite, respectful boy who is happy to go to school and learn. The Child School brought my son back to me!

Posted September 26, 2013
The teachers and staff are committed to making sure every child is given the time and dedication to accommodate their needs, This is a school that welcomes children with learning disabilities and helps them excel in all areas of life. It is truly a lifesaver for not only the children but the families as well. These children will succeed in this school and most graduate with Regents diplomas. They go on to College and become confident, young adults. This school is very much deserving and really could use these funds to purchase equipment for occupational therapy and other much needed services.

Posted September 26, 2013
My son has been at this school since 2004 and he has grown academically and emotionally more than I ever dreamed possible. The classes are small; the teachers are highly skilled both in their subjects and in working with emotionally fragile kids with various learning styles. The location on Roosevelt Island abutting the East River is absolutely beautiful. A gem of a school

The Child School 4

Posted June 27, 2013
I'm a parent of a child who currently attends the school. He has been here for 4 years, my child has a severe learning disability, adhd and was not expected to learn to read or write. He had such a rough time in public schools because they did not take the time to address his individual needs. Within his first year my son began to read and write. He is now a confident young man who thanks to all the class selections has had great educational opportunities and social extra curriculars. I'm am proud to say we are a TCS/Legacy family. I recommend the school. No school is perfect but TCS works very hard to meet each child's individual needs. Cant wait till he goes to Legacy in a years time!

Posted June 25, 2013
My daughter attended The Child School for three years and made a great deal of progress. The curriculum was individualized to meet her specific strengths and deficits. She got 1:1 assistance in the areas where she needed it and got the spotlight on her strengths ranging from the annual science fair to the dance shows. The teachers and therapists are very involved, very accessible and willing to work with parents. She flourished socially and emotionally in the elementary school's therapeutic environment and made her first friends here. The PTA is very involved and sponsors many events for parents, students and alumni.

Posted February 10, 2013
This school has been great. They have some excellent teachers, and an excellent speech therapist. We have lots of electives. These electives vary from clubs like synchronized swimming to academic electives like abstract chemistry. Everyone fits in somewhere here.

Posted February 08, 2013
Excellent School - My child entered this school in Kindergarten and is now in 5th grade. Our experience has been wonderful and our child has flourished. The teachers are loving and nurturing, firm. The staff takes a team approach on each student and collaborates with parents.

The Child School