/ School Profile
New York, NY

Posted November 24, 2014
Our son went here for two years, and I wish I had brought him there a year earlier. He learned and developed so much in this very engaging program. The teacher to student ratio was outstanding, and their method really delivered results. I was continuously amazed at what my 3, then 4, then 5 year old son was demonstrating, both in terms of skills in writing/reading/math but in broad general knowledge such as geography and biology. The creative activities and library resources, in addition to the extra programs such as the small animals guy and the incredible stage programs the kids put on are rely impressive, far beyond what might be expected from a small school such as this. The scale of the school means that everyone gets a lot of attention and all the staff are very committed and pleasant to interact with. The summer program is amazing, with lots of external activities and trips.

Posted August 02, 2014
I went to this school for 8 years and had some of the best times of my life. The staff is so great and friendly, Ms.Haberman is one if the nicest people I know. The montesorri style of learning helped me learn so much. The way of learning is so much diffrent and so much more benifical that it doesn't compare to any other school. When I aged out and went to a public middle school I quickly got bored and quickly got to the top of my class because I had already learned most of the material from the family school. I couldn't see why you wouldn't want your child to go there.

Posted July 24, 2014
I had to give this one star because there is no way to give "no" stars. This was a terrible experience for our child. It took several years for him to get over the trauma of attending this nightmare. The only thing the Family School has in abundance is arrogance. Over priced. Pretentious and devoid of compassion. They left our child sobbing on the floor, without so much as hand on his back for comfort. Just awful. Spare your child the abusive experience of this place. It should be shut down.

Posted October 10, 2013
Our daughter was at the Family school from 18 months until Kindergarden. It was the absolute best experience on a whole academically as well as emotionally for her. The teachers are beyond nurturing and intelligent. The head mistress is amazing and caring and always available for any thoughts or concerns. In taking our daughter out in K and having her start a new school, it in no way compared to the level of education that she received while at the Family school. In our opinion, nothing can compare to it, so we brought her back and I cannot even express how happy we are with our decision. Not only is our daughter happier but she is getting so much more academically and emotionally than most schools provide. We love The Family School, and the teachers and administrators are always so polite and helpful. My husband, daughter and I feel as if we have truly come home by bringing our daughter back.

Posted October 09, 2013
This is our second year at the school at The Family School West, and we have been nothing but pleased with our experience. On our first parent/teacher visit (and they have several throughout the year) we knew we'd made the right choice. The teachers clearly knew our child, specifically. His strengths and his weaknesses. The teachers are knowledgable, and they maintain the ability to control the classroom while being sensitive to each child's needs. You will need to ask and engage the staff if you are unsure what is going on, but you will be amazed at the level of attention that is paid to both your questions. It is difficult to find out information on the school as they do not choose to maintain a heavy online presence, but call or send an email and you will receive all the information you need. We have been nothing short of amazed at the amount of knowledge our son has acquired, all while being happy, and having fun! We have been very pleased during our time at The Family School West.

Posted September 17, 2013
This is our second year at the school atThe Family School West, and we have nothing but wonderful observations about the school. Our son started as a very shy boy and was nurtured by the teachers before our eyes. The teachers are superb, in so they are knowledgable, strict and sensitive to each child's needs. They are noting so much more than they let on: if you ask you will know. I truly do not know lots of schools where the kids are reading and doing math before age 4 (of course it depends on the child, yet it's all presented to them). I do wish there was abit more art appreciation. Yet when would they do it I am not sure, as they already do languages, drumming, yoga, karate, chess... We could not be more satisfied with our year at The Family School West.

Posted June 18, 2013
This school is extremely disorganized and staff is extremely discouraged by the principal, especially the 3-5 assistant principal. There is a lack of communication and students are not the priority (demonstrated when students were locked out of the building for an hour on 90+ degree day. They had to stay on the playground with no access to water, for a mass teacher prep). Administrators have made both the staff and students cry. They are adult bullies. The turnover rate is terrible and the lack of stability is noticed by the students. Be weary of sending your child or working here. Biggest mistake of my life!

Posted January 10, 2013
Prior to sending my daughter to The Family School I was unable to find any reviews about it. My husband and I were both questioning if we had made the right decision because of the lack of information/reviews there was about the school. Fast forward to a half a year later and my daughter has learned so much in the small amount of time she has been there. We are always impressed how much knowledge she is gaining in only 9hrs a week. Our friends who attend other top schools are even commenting. We got pretty lucky with the teachers my daughter has. I can say I have seen some other teachers who act cold and stern. From what I can tell the rooms are based on the type of children (active, academic, etc) so its possible the teachers are different for a reason. Parent involvement was a concern for us and still is a bit. We email the school a lot and ask questions and we receive immediate responses. I think there are some minor things that can be touched on but overall we are very happy with our decision.

The Family School 3

Posted October 06, 2011
I am student, I went to this school when I was 18 months old and I was treated fairly for the most part however since I have some learning challenges sometimes teachers would act a little hostile towards me. Also since I have seizures I had my first seizure when I was 2 yrs old at The Family School during nap time. From that point on the teachers were mean and cold as stone towards me. So I know the school has it's good points however it had more bad points than good for me. I hope that the school and teachers will learn from their mistakes, and in the process make it a better school experience for kids and their parents. Thank You to all who care.

Posted March 19, 2011
Although this school do have its good points, I agree that if you are Asian or of other race, you are truly not treated fairly or nicely. You will feel that you are unwanted here. So be it...just find another very good school that makes you and your child feel wanted!!! Trust your instinct. I just don't think the adminstration or owner understand how or even aware of this.

The Family School