/ School Profile
New York, NY

Posted February 12, 2015
We could not be happier with the Studio School. Our 7 yo daugher is, of course, learning math and reading, but there is so much more! The academic benefits go far beyond what she actually learns in the classroom. Our daughter is very enthused about One World, a unique combination of science and social studies. Our daughter's class is studying habitats, and right now she is learning about the rainforest. AT home our daughter asks us to help her look for pictures of the rainforest online, research the poisonous frogs of the rainforest, find out all of the fruits that grow in the rainforest and more. This isn't homework; she is genuinely motivated to continue her learning outside of school. The enthusiasm that the Studio School has sparked in her is so evident that our 5 yo son has asked us for assignments so he can start reading or doing math worksheets like his older sister. We thank our lucky stars that we found the Studio School. We cannot imagine a more enriching environment academically or in terms of children's personal, social, and intellectual development.

Posted February 11, 2015
One of the great things about Studio is how the school handles homework. The parents are asked to leave the matter of homework to the child and his or her teachers. I don't know anything about my son's homework unless he tells me about it. And when he does tell me about it, and the news is less than good, I have been asked -- by both my son and his teachers -- not to intervene. This is easier said than done. But I have happily found from experience that this process, as it is guided by the great teachers at Studio, bears good fruit. Over time, my son and my daughter have come to see their schoolwork as their own, and they see their education as something in which they are fully participant, something for which they are eagerly responsible. My daughter, now a 9th grader in a top tier private school, has made a deft, assured and enthusiastic transition to a challenging and very sophisticated curriculum. In fact, all of her teachers are thrilled by her self-regulation, time management, and the consistently high standards of her thorough and thoughtful work. Thank you, Studio School.

Posted February 07, 2015
Our daughter will graduate from 8th grade at The Studio School in June. We placed her in the school starting in 6th grade, and it was one of the best decisions we ever made for our family. On arriving at The Studio School (from a different elementary school), our child was anxious, frustrated, disengaged & lacked confidence. From the very start we worked closely with Janet Rotter, Head-of-School, as well as an invested & passionate group of educators who understood how "Jane" was experiencing & processing school. During her three years at Studio our daughter blossomed into a genuinely curious learner, and a lively & engaged young person. The Studio School environment validates how exceptional every child is, and they partnered with the three of us (our daughter is an "only") to provide a uniquely challenging & nurturing education. Our "Jane" went from a child who hated & refused to go to school to a kid who advocates for herself, regulates herself and meets her education head-on, with open & eager arms. It's been a wonderful & enlightening process for all of us.

Posted November 11, 2014
The Studio School is a rare find in a city that is inundated with many options for independent school education because it has been able to focus it's approach on the essence of what kids need to succeed in life. Ms. Rotter, the Head of School, summed it up best by saying that kids who leave Studio in 8th grade leave knowing who they are, what they want and how to work. It sounds so simple and yet somehow manages to get lost in today's world where there are so many parenting and teaching philosophies. Our daughter is only 3 and has been there for 2 years but when I drop her off I see all the other kids who range from kindergarten up to 8th grade and they are wonderful, poised and articulate with a sense of self that I was still looking for up into my late twenties.

Posted November 01, 2014
Our daughter entered The Studio School this year. She is so excited about going to school each day. She feels at home. We have noticed that she is constantly making things out of cardboard and clay. She is working on all of these independent projects around our apartment. We certainly must give Studio School credit. The teachers encourage children to explore. It's a critical part of the school's philosophy and culture. My husband and I wish we had the freedom to explore when we were her age. The Studio School is also an intimate and supportive community for our entire family. Community matters to Studio. It matters to our family, particularly in New York City.

Posted October 30, 2014
My two sons, 5 and 8, started at the Studio School this past September. It truly is an amazing place! My boys are happy and thriving in this kind, supportive, encouraging environment. They are challenged to try and do new things and are already showing increased confidence. Everything that happens at Studio happens because it was well thought out and considered. I really trust that from the moment they walk in each morning until i pick them up there is a community of people, not just their teachers, who are invested in them and care about their growth and development. The added bonus is that the parents benefit from this amazing school as well. Getting a better understanding of my boys and of my parenting is such a gift. If the past 2 months is any indication of what's to come, i am confident that my boys will continue to grow and flourish and develop the skills, confidence, motivation and desire they need to be thoughtful, considerate, creative, respectful young men. It really is an amazing place!

Posted October 30, 2014

Posted August 04, 2014
My son loves The Studio School & so do I! There are so many reasons - big and small, but here are just a few. All of the teachers in the school get to know your child. My son has been in the program only one year (twos/threes program), but teachers that teach older children know and understand what makes him special. Understanding each child's needs and how to develop an environment in which they will thrive is a core competency for the school. The parents at the school are warm & welcoming. And the facilities are good for the location and square footage in which they operate. I look forward to my son returning next month. If you re looking for a place where your child and family will feel at home this is the place!

Posted July 30, 2014
Our son started his first year of middle school at The Studio School last year, and we could not have been happier. If you believe in the progressive process, then you understand how important it is teach our children to be creative and critical thinkers. Often at that age it is their awareness of society and trying to discover their place in it that can mar that process. The Studio School are experts at helping children navigate these difficult stages with their emphasis on social and emotional development. It is exactly what our son needs at this crucial time.

Posted July 29, 2014
We are extremely pleased with Studio s approach and the impact it s had on our daughter. The school fosters an environment where children develop a love for learning and their curiosity and interests are encouraged from day 1. Teachers really get to know each one of the students and understand how to engage and inspire them. Studio is also a place that fosters an incredible sense of community where not only the child but the whole family is involved.

The Studio School