/ School Profile
New York, NY
Before care: Yes

Posted April 04, 2014
A school that combines serious academics with a truly nurturing environment is rare. If you look at MMS's exmissions results it's obvious they turn out successful kids. But what has really impressed me is the nurturing side. We have 2 very different children and I have been amazed at how the school has really treated them as individuals and is bringing out the absolute best in both of them. One of our children has some learning needs and every teacher with whom she interacts (which is more than 10) have been involved with helping her succeed. Now over 7 years they just keep proving over and over again what an amazing gem they are.

Posted March 08, 2014
HORRIFIC!!! School administration is more interested in a being certified as a "socially" relevant competitor to the education options of the elite than embracing of Montessori methods. Our family has a long standing appreciation for the Montessori method and was sadly disappointed with the reality that this school is all window dressing and no substance. Completely unprepared to address the unique strengths and challenges of children. Administration and support staff is beyond incompetent and disguises incompetence and limited credentials/training with arrogant advising to advise parents to seek outside services to assess and address children's needs -- on basic things. Appreciation of diversity is a complete joke -- very, very few minority children, black children are disproportionately diagnosed as ADHD and sent to the special needs learning center, especially male children. Run, very fast, away from this school.

Posted January 16, 2014
Run away. This school will strip the joy of learning from your kids, environment is strict, kids drop like flies after K, your child will end up having only 8-10 kids of his grade in a mixed class. Passive-aggressive teachers and principals will let you know what is wrong with your child and how many tutors you should hire, when children are totally normal and thrive anywhere else. All the 5 star reviews were solicited by the school, beware. Save your money, consider a real school instead.

Posted December 10, 2013
I have two children at MMS, and our family has been at the school for 7 years. I strongly recommend the school on every level, and am a big advocate of the Montessori approach to learning. Almost every day my son (who is in the Upper Elementary program) tells me how lucky he is to be going to MMS. He cites his great teachers, who have made him an engaged, flexible, creative and independent learner. He also likes that when he has struggles, the school has created an environment where he feels that he can talk to his teachers directly and that they listen and respond. This is a big deal to me as a parent, as I think it is very important that my children feel empowered to handle issues at school on their own, and it says a lot about the culture of MMS. That said, when I have needed to intervene as a parent, and I have also found faculty and administration easily accessible and great at finding solutions that work, tackling issues head-on or making changes to meet the evolving needs of the community. Other reviews cite the strong academics of MMS, and the diverse community of engaged parents, which I also find to be true and proven by exmissions and sibling applications!

Posted December 09, 2013
MMS is a wonderful school. Not only is the education amazing (this can be seen by reviewing their exmissions alone) but it is a lovely, diverse community of parents, teachers and administrators. The teachers are diligent and caring and nurture the children to thrive. I could not ask for anything more as a parent.

Posted November 06, 2013
I wish I could give it a zero. Waste of time and money. My girl is thriving only now, after leaving, they took all the joy of learning out of her. Passive-aggressive teachers and staff will let you know what type of tutoring your child needs, but will not admit that they may be the problem to begin with. Teachers put a lot of pressure, materials learned do not fit the level of the students. Teachers yelled and shut the lights off if kids dared to speak during class (says my daughter), no clarity and visibility into the materials and levels of math and reading learned and required we had no idea where she is and where she should be. Terrible communication. They will accept many foreign students that arrive for a limited period of time without required testing, and many kids are disruptive they will not say anything if you donate money to the school (they do a good job soliciting you to do so.) My child was asked in her current school to name her favorite street in NYC and least favorite street. She wrote: My least favorite street is 85th Street . I asked why, she said because this is where MMS is. We are so glad that we pulled her out, some friends pulled out as well.

Posted October 01, 2013
We are thrilled with this school! It is academically challenging while still being warm and nurturing. Our children are excited to go to school each day and ask if they can do and learn more. There are always complaints about schools but I cannot think of a better preschool/elementary school In New York City. This school is small so you feel like your voice is heard and your children will too. The Montessori curriculum (which we did not know about before stumbling upon this school) teaches kids to love learning. I could go on and on. This school is a gem.

Posted September 26, 2013
I honestly cannot say enough about this wonderful little school because I feel as though our family stumbled upon the hidden jewel of the Upper West Side. The academics, focus on the arts and teaching staff are all impressive. I am amazed that my 7 year old is studying geometry that I didn't learn until high school and that when she was 3 she stopped in her tracks upon hearing music from The Nutcracker to say: "Peter Tchaikovsky wrote this". I could sing the academic praises from the rooftops, but really, the exmissions speak for themselves. Most of the graduating class ends up in top-tier middle and high schools. I find the parent community welcoming and close, something that has only enriched our experience and endeared the school to us even more. The retention rate of the staff is high, which is a great indicator of the competency of the administration. Bottom line is that this is a very special place, not one where my husband and I are seen as dollar signs but parents who are part of a very focused academic organization that cares about our child's future. I cannot say the same of the other schools that we are involved in in the city. I highly recommend MMS.

Posted June 07, 2013
They could do better in selecting parents to talk to applying families. The parent the school put me in contact with told me it took months for her child to settle in and they were considering pulling the child out. That was not what one wants to hear when applying and totally put me off the school.

Posted April 16, 2013
We feel very lucky to have landed at this school. My kids love it, the academics are excellent, and the families we have met are wonderful. While the curriculum presents plenty of challenge, there is also plenty of support and communication to help the kids continually grow and thrive. There is a true interest in social and emotional development as well as the hard skills. I am perplexed by some of the reviews here that talk about disruptive children... this is something that we have not encountered. In fact seeing the highly focused and engaged children in the classrooms is what drew us most to the school. Because of the Montessori philosophy, kids work in small groups at their own pace, so there is plenty of individual attention. We have been very happy, I just wish it went beyond 6th grade. However from everything I have seen and heard, the exmissions really are outstanding.

Metropolitan Montessori School
325 W 85th St, New York, NY  10024
Last modified Metropolitan Montessori School is a Private school that serves grades PK-6
Metropolitan Montessori School Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 38 reviews. Top