PK-12|Private

Bad
Good

Currently, most people answered Agree (4 responses)
Currently, most people answered Strongly agree (4 responses)
Currently, most people answered Strongly agree (4 responses)

Amazing school that promotes diversity and open mindedness.

As a lower school parent, I would say that the teachers have gone above and beyond for my daughter. The class size is so small that her teachers have been able to really get to know her and work with her to encourage her love of math and the arts. The teachers seem to love working here, and it shows in their work with the kids.

My son started at Calhoun this past year in the 6th grade. He loves it. I am impressed with the academics and the love for learning instilled in each student. The students are intelligent and very well spoken. They are joyous. Our family was welcomed into the Calhoun community with open arms. It is a great place.

This is my third year as a Calhoun parent and I couldn't be happier. My two kids can't wait to go to school everyday and my oldest literally cries when she is sick and can't attend class. My kids are independent and confident and I think so much of that is due to their personal relationships with their teachers. The faculty at Calhoun is is wonderful at making learning feel like playing (math games, science projects etc). It is truly progressive education at its best.

We think the school is very academic so far. Our oldest went to a different school and based on both schools, we prefer Calhoun. It is a highly organized school and very very engaging.

This school is nothing short of a disaster. I strongly urge anyone considering sending their child to Calhoun to reconsider. My child attend until grade 7. He was completely lacking in basic skills. I was told at the end of a semester that my child missed more than half the homework assignments. Their concept of progressive education is a joke. The school approaches progressive education like a religious zealot. Fast forward a few years and we are still feeling the after effects of no skill development in the early years of learning. Please avoid this school.

My daughter started in the 3's program and is now in 5th grade. By the end of 4th grade, she was well into 7-8th grade books (an avid reader) and working on pre-algebra problems. She did not learn to read in Kindergarten and has never received a single tutoring lesson. I do not check her homework (yes there is homework!) since I prefer teachers see what mistakes she makes and where she needs extra help. I am happy with her progress irrespective of where same grade students at other school are at. Yes, the school isn't perfect (is there any?) and I do believe it is a school for self motivated children. But she is extremely happy and well adjusted. She loves school so much she insists on arriving by 8am every day! Regarding diversity, about 40% of my current pre-schooler's class are non-white/caucasian, a surprise given pre-schools tend to reflect the neighborhood demographics.

Some of these reviews are harsh. If there were a legitimate Calhoun website forum for parents to freely (without censorship) post questions/comments, there would less public negativity. And fewer disenfranchised parents. (Isn't that the spirit of "community"?) The "open door policy" doesn't suit working parents. It suits the school. No door is open at 9:00PM, when I have the opportunity to address school issues.

Calhoun stands apart only via Calhoun logic. Diverse compared to Dalton? Brearly? Not REMOTELY compared to any NY public school. Markers like happiness are subjective, not alternatives to things like consistent, effective teaching. Superior character? Surely not among the Admin. It s an arrogant claim. College acceptance the same or higher, says who? Controlling for what? How many traditional private-school kids receive as much dirty secret tutoring as those at Calhoun? Such comments do indeed say something about parent beliefs! Remaining among many frustrated families at a smug, unresponsive school unwilling to engage (AKA listen to ) parents, and being too lazy/frightened to re-locate your kid says a lot too. We support progressive ed. Yes, six hours of homework/crazy test pressure isn t good. But neither is Calhoun. Crowing high ideals can t disguise muddled teaching championed by a useless PA and tone-deaf admin. Far better compromises exist. The child we transferred remains as happy as before, but challenged. Transferring him out was harder for him and us. For now. But school isn t day camp, and it ll be easier for the rest of his life. Very disappointed.

As a Calhoun parent I am saddened but not surprised by some of the recent comments here. Calhoun is an exceptional school in every way that stands apart from any school in NYC in many important ways. It is a diverse student body with many different types of students and this is part of what makes it special - it is not the high stress approach that one finds throughout the so-called "elite" schools in NYC. The level of happiness, satisfaction, curiosity and character that is in evidence from students and staff when you walk in the building is something that you won't find to this degree anywhere else. Yes, it is a different method than the pressure, drill and test routine, but in the end the rate of graduates getting into their first choice college is just the same or higher than any of the more "traditional" schools in town but with a difference. The Calhoun kids are creative, considerate, well adjusted and most of all, happy; ready to become serious contributors to society without many of the traumas that the pressure cooker schools seem to have to deal with regularly. Is it perfect? No. But the comments here are much more about the parents writing in than this wonderful school.

Last modified Calhoun School is a Private school that serves grades PK-12