Posted September 10, 2014
I recently posted a review about P.S. 184 Shuang Wen and it was removed. I find this disturbing as I neither named anyone nor attacked anyone by name. My information was accurate and if it can be proven wrong please let the complainant supply the evidence. As to my comments The Blue Ribbon Application was riddled with inaccuracies, the former administrator used her position to single out and attack students; and students were removed for entering the school out of district. As far as my comments about the D.O.E. I maintain that any success achieved by students is due to outstanding parents, outstanding teachers outstanding students and some outstanding principals; and not due in the majority of cases to the D.O.E. We have a problem with truth in this country as up until recently we had more myth than history taught in the schools. I would hope that if this blog is seeking honesty then it would check the veracity of my statements rather than remove them because of a small groups hysterical responses.

Ps 184 Shuang Wen 3

Posted September 05, 2014
Since former principal and founder has been removed 3 years ago the school suffered a sudden change. One beautiful thing left is the after school SWAN, an outstanding Mandarin Chinese 501-C3 nonprofit organization that operated in conjunction with PS 184 since 1996, and with PS 184 earned a Federal Blue Ribbon Award, for program excellence. It should be common sense to envision this system as a model. In 2011 the system switched from full time English daytime program with Chinese SWAN afterschool, to a 50/50 English/Chinese daytime and SWAN afterschool, cutting 50% of the English taught during regular school hours, with a drop in ELA tests performance. PS 184 used to be among the first 10 performing schools in NY State ranking for combined 3rd and 4th grade Math and English, In 2010-2011 it was on 23rd place, 2011-2012 fell to 80th, in 2012-2013 to 83rd place, 2013-2014 53rd. Some people may love the new system and new principal, some may like a 50/50 dual language at daytime with new afterschool with alternative activities. Many teachers left and parents pulled their kids. It's just sad to see that the priority of the school is not our kids education.

Posted September 05, 2014
The school is facing a revolution in schedule, approach and teaching system that not necessarily is worse than before, certainly still needs to prove the academic level reached in the past. Below comments show a real fight between supporter of the 2 systems and leadership, the nostalgic miss the structure, strictness and discipline of a selective high performing environment, as in most G&Ts, the others welcome a more encouraging, fun environment. Let's move on, enhancing and improving without destroying a great heritage, i.e. keep and sponsor the awarded after school SWAN, introduce more physical activities, art, theatre but please something more challenging and professional than shadow box!

Ps 184 Shuang Wen 1

Posted September 04, 2014
since the new principal came in half of theaters left, not only parents pulled their kids from the school. It was better before.

Posted April 29, 2014
P.S. 184 is a school in transition. Although there are a few parents left from the old administration the school is moving into new areas of growth. It is using the Shadow Box Theatre and other unique programs that bring children into a learning fun environment. The D.O.E. needs to reach out to this Principal and give her the support she deserves and needs. There will be some leaving but those who truly want a Dual language education will help to make it grow and be strong. The parents who don't want a Dual Language school should leave instead of trying to sabotage the school and it's program. I for one have suggested certain programs like the Jump Program and The Algebra Project to help children learn mathematics from early fractions to Algebra and beyond. I hope that the school grows but this can only happen when those who seek to sabotage and destroy are removed.

Posted April 12, 2014
the school has stabilized. teachers are great. my kids are fluent bilingual chinese speakers. love it!

Posted April 12, 2014
Finally a permanent principal has been appointed to this school--that is helping to stabilize things after a hard couple of years. I appreciate Iris Chiu and all she has done to follow DOE's orders to transform this school into a bilingual program within the DOE hours. It's been a tough ride, but we're there now!

Posted March 20, 2014
Excellent teachers and principle who set high academic expectations for the students, but who are warm and supportive along the way.

Posted January 23, 2014
Shuang Wen under the current leadership is A BREATHE of FRESH INNOVATIVE AIR. I appreciate Prinicpal Iris Chiu and I empathize with her due to the constant harrassment and ill treatment from previous parents who were unhappy with change. She is doing a wondeful time with our children, it is a shame that some parents need more work than the children in the realm of self restraint and intellectual discourse. Principal Chiu during this uncomfortable transition has maintain her professionlism and our children were able to achieve the same rating on Standardized Testing which kept Shuang Wen under good standing. Every School community there is room for improvement.

Posted October 01, 2013
Still a great school despite sub par leadership - As much as I miss last administration I think this is still a very good school. My opinion is that the old system with SWAN after school is better than this 50/50 bilingual system. I respect parents' decision in taking their kids out of the school because they have no faith in the current prinicipal. However I want to ask these parents to stop saying the school is "not good anymore" and that all the "good" teachers left the school. Show some respect for the people that are still in the school and the many teachers that are still trying to help our kids. From what I see, the teachers at this school are all working hard and they don't deserve that. As for Ms. Iris Chiu, you cannot gain our respect by trying to stay out of trouble by putting up a wall. You need to be more involved, know your students, know your teachers and motivate everyone. This is your chance to prove all those parents who left the school wrong!

Ps 184 Shuang Wen
327 Cherry St, New York, NY  10002
Last modified Ps 184 Shuang Wen is a Public school that serves grades PK-8. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 10 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Ps 184 Shuang Wen Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 44 reviews. Top