/ School Profile

Posted November 12, 2014
I was a Lower Lab Kid over 20 years ago (EEK!) and have just completed my MBA. I credit the Lower Lab School with all of my life's success and am thrilled to see it has remained one of the city's top elementary schools. The psychotically involved PTA and quirkiness of teachers made the whole school feel like a family. I remember it being such a special, nurturing, challenging environment when I was there and I'm not sure how much has changed since my Spanish and Science teachers only recently retired!

Posted September 23, 2014
As parents of both public school and private school kids we are very pleased with PS 77. Class size is large and not for everyone if your child needs a more intimate environment. Parents realize that in a perfect world all other neighboring public schools should be on par with the program at PS 77 and that they are fortunate to get this education. New Principal is hands-on, dynamic and very approachable. Quite a positive way to start the new school year. We love that there are 2 classes per grade so all the kids get to know one another during their Lower School experience. Good idea to supplement physical education and the arts if you have the time, but this is true of all NYC public schools.

Posted September 23, 2013
If you can get in--great. Responsive principal, wonderful GC, kids who practically teach themselves, tough curriculum. They even manage to integrate the high-performing kids w IEPs and the program seems to work well. Only caveat is the parents who take the whole G & T label a bit too seriously. Where are all these "geniuses" now? Also, the teachers can be spotty, but it hardly matters with this demographic.

Posted January 21, 2013
Our daughter's in the middle of second grade, and I can say that so far, our experience at Lab has been outstanding. Dedicated teachers, hands-on prinicpal (who's a bit stiff, but effective enough), active and involved families, PTA that raises enough money to have aides in each classroom (which is a big deal, honestly, and really helps). The curriculum is accelerated and engaging, but (at least so far) homework is not a big deal or overwhelming. The school's attentive to emotional needs, and has a strong peer mediation program that reinforces this. Overall, no reservations about recommending Lab to prospective parents.

Ps 77 Lower Lab School 4

Posted August 12, 2012
Undoubtedly this is a great school and the principal is quite good as well--especially compared to those of the other neighborhood schools. The teachers all seem fine as well. One negative to me is the parent body--there is major attitude here and everyone thinks his/her child is a genius. They may test well and get accepted here, but the middle school placement is nothing special. These parents also have a really negative touch-me-not attitude toward the kids in the special ed program, some of whom are really bright but have dyslexia or suffer from OT issues. They are treated by soem as lepers. Wake up, this is NYC people--and almost everyone has an IEP or "issues"!

Posted December 16, 2011
As a parent of a child currently enrolled at Lower lab I have been very pleased with the program so far and I know that it's the right school for my child. The program and teachers have exceeded my expectations and hopes. The school is nurturing while also challenging. The children are taught social responsibility and awareness. They have been exposed to so many cultural activities around the city. I can't help but feel that we are getting a unique and special experience overall as a family, and I know my child is getting a top-notch education. The principal and assistant principal are undoubtedly leading this school in a great direction.

Posted May 11, 2011
lab is a very social and close school with great acedemics and amazing teachers. with only two classes per grade you really get to know everyone and there is a very close community.

Posted June 29, 2009
The Lab is an exceptional school with lots of activities for the kids. With only 2 classes per grade the students really get to know each other and although it is among the best scoring schools in all of NYS, the environment is very warm and friendly. We couldn't be happier at this school.

Posted September 19, 2008

Posted May 28, 2008
P.S 77 is a warm, nurturing, academically strong school for your child.The teachers and the parents are the heart of the school. Together with the students it is a fabulous learning community. The students continue to score amongst the highest in the state.

Ps 77 Lower Lab School
1700 3rd Avenue, New York, NY  10128
Last modified Ps 77 Lower Lab School is a Public school that serves grades K-5. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 10 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Ps 77 Lower Lab School Rating: 5 out of 5 based on 23 reviews. Top