Posted March 31, 2014
The past reviews are just what there are the "past". Michelle Haynes is the current principal. One of the previous comments said that she has to fix the mess that was left. That is very true. She has so far turned this school's academic report card into a "B". She has great compassion and dedication to this school's students, teachers and families. I am new to SWCSH. This is my 1st year. I came from a very well know charter school that failed my children and forced me to pull them out for their lack of seeing my child's true potential. Since coming to SWCSH with my 3 children a 1st, 2nd and 4th graders, I have seen great progress. Their teachers not only make frequent assessments on the students to determine each student's level of achievement, but they also use the data to critique themselves for perfection. With our new principal I have no doubt that SWCSH is moving in the right direction.

Sisulu Walker Charter School Of Harlem 3

Posted November 09, 2011
My child attended this school from 3rd grade and I had to transfer her out during the summer due to my unhappiness with this school. She is now attending another school for 5th grade. My child started at the same time that the new principal Dr. Cejas started. Since I had no prior history with the previous principal, I had an open mind in regards to the new principal. My mind has since been made up to remove my child from the school. The school is quite tight, with 1 space being used as a gym, lunchroom and auditorium. They don't offer much in the way of Afterschool for kids. The Afterschool ends at 6pm. According to my daughter the children just did their homework most of them. Very little in the way of fun activities. The children go on some nice trips during the school year. I do believe that the majority of the teachers working there truly care about the children but there are 1 or 2 teachers there that are clueless and who act ghetto. Academically they are strong in Mathematics but weak when it comes to Reading and Writing. They do offer a Saturday Academy that runs for 3 hours for 4 months to help students improve their Reading and Writing skills.

Posted March 17, 2011
My child attended this school for 2nd grade thru 5th. There is a lack of parental involvement & the new principal seems a bit standoffish as if she doesnt want to be bothered by the parents. She delegates parent inquiries to the clueless Assistant principal or rude & abrasive parent coordinator! The building is definitely overcrowded and the fact that there hasn't been an alternative used for recess is disgusting! The kids are housed inside from 8am-6pm. The test scores are average and the teacher turnover is extremely high! This is the only charter school remaining from the inital state charter sadly I feel its a disservice to the community! The transition to middleschool was a nightmare due to the lack of relationships and knowledge of the guidance counselor. Over 10 years and yet no substantial awards or gains for our children's advnacement...just SAD! Seek an alternative until changes are made!

Posted April 05, 2010
A school I had grow so fond of has taken a turn for the worst. The teacher turn over rate is horrific! All the great teachers have left and the allocation of the teachers that remain is off centered. Parents are not welcomed by most of the administrative staff and unfortunately our children spend many hours enduring negative energy. I am doing everything in my power to make sure my children do not return in September. I do not recommend this school at all. They need to shape up big time. There is no space, classes are over crowded and kids hardly get recess (and I'm being generous with 'hardly'). I've reached out to the Principal, teachers (all three of them in one academic year) to no avail. I am soooo disgusted with Sisulu-Walker. The Board needs to get a clue. Who ever is responsible for the hiring needs to re-asses.

Sisulu Walker Charter School Of Harlem 1

Posted March 16, 2010
I agree with the last posting. My daughter has been attending this school since she was in 1st grade. I loved her teacher Mr. Smith, he's gone now. In 2nd grade, she went through 3 teachers. They were all great but i felt it was too much change. Now in 3rd grade I think all the good teacher left. This school as definitly gone down and the city makes it very hard for you to get in any other school that u would prefer.

Sisulu Walker Charter School Of Harlem 1

Posted March 11, 2010
I am a parent whose child has attended Sisulu since 2005,k I feel that Sisulu has went down hill and the only reason why my child is still here is because it's hard to find another school right now with another teacher that is as good as Ms. Haynes the best teacher in this godforsaken school. Without Ms. Haynes, our children would be lost.

Posted November 17, 2009
There is too many issues with my childs class. She is in fourth grade and has been thru 3 different teachers in a span of a month. There is a new principle and she needs to assist the children who have behavioral issues instead of allowing them to keep disrupting the class. Overall, i have would not recommend this school. Too many issues and too many move arounds.

Posted June 23, 2008
I love this school. My daughter has exceeded beyond anyones expectations. She has continued to make high honors and has scored beyond her grade level in her placements exams. The only problem is that some of the children dont have good examples at home so therefore bring 'ghettoness' to the school.

Posted March 29, 2006
I love Sisulu Walker. They have the most amazing and qualified teachers. We're the first charter school in Harlem and we're still going strong. Sisulu is under the leadership of a new principal and she's just amazing. The only problem that i have is the lack of parental involvement. This is my son's second year - and we're looking forward to the next three!

Sisulu Walker Charter School Of Harlem 5

Posted November 29, 2004
My son has been attending this school for almost 3 years. Ms. Haynes his current teacher has done a wonderful job in preparing him for middle school. His test scores for (2004) were very good a 700 and 675. Bravo to Ms. Haynes and Ms. Fuller-Hope you must feel very proud of the acomplishment you have achieved. I am said that you my son will not have Ms. Haynes or Ms. Fuller-Hope to continue bringing out the best in him. If you have a chance to see Ms.Hope and Ms. Haynes doing what they do best which is teaching. You will know that your child education is very important to them.

Sisulu Walker Charter School Of Harlem
125 W 115th St, New York, NY  10026
Last modified Sisulu Walker Charter School Of Harlem is a Charter school that serves grades K-5. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 4 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Sisulu Walker Charter School Of Harlem Rating: 3 out of 5 based on 12 reviews. Top