Posted September 28, 2013
We have been very happy with Salk. It's the kind of school where everyone can find their niche, find friends and somehow fit in. It's cool to be smart and it's not one big fashion show. Many families have a lot of money, but you would never know it, because the vibe is so laidback and down to earth. It just seems like a healthy environment for tweens and young teens. I think the education they are receiving is very good, and the teachers are all smart and hardworking. I do wish they would let the parents know how their children are doing before the parent/teacher conferences and report cards. Most assignments are not returned with grades! Otherwise we don't have any complaints.

Ms 255 Salk School Of Science 4

Posted September 16, 2013
One notable thing about Salk is how happy and well-adjusted the kids that attend it are! My son is very happy here. The h/w load is manageable (although, probably like other middle schools, there tends to be ALOT of work all at once right before the end of the marking periods), teachers seem very motivated. The reason for 4 stars is my very negative experience trying to get an issue resolved last year - it took 6 weeks of phone calls and emails before it was addressed (the parent coord. never responded and the admin. in charge of the school did not act until I had to go outside of school to get help) - very disappointing. Heard from several other parents who had similar experience . Perhaps this will improve now that the principal is back from the sabbatical? The guid. counselor, on the other hand, is excellent - professional and proactive!

Ms 255 Salk School Of Science 3

Posted May 20, 2013
Not all of us can pop into meetings during the business day on one day's notice. I did email the principal to ask. Again, a school where teachers speak with improper grammar, making the mistake just corrected in the lesson, math teachers routinely make arithmetic errors and children are screaming daily is not wonderful.

Posted May 19, 2013
Excellent school. We have nothing but positive things to report from our 7th grade daughters experience. I believe if the parent below (April 17) would have attended the meeting where the principal discussed her sabbatical she would have a better understanding of the timing of her leave. This was a meeting open to all families. We love Salk!

Posted April 25, 2013
Salk has a great curriculum. The humanities are good, sciences are excellent, and though math is a little off, drama and other subjects make up for it. I am only a sixth grader, so I don't know TOO much. Though I am going to Hunter next year, I have found many great friends, caring and cooperative teachers, and projects that show creativity, but challenging. We also don't get much homework!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Still, class time makes up for it. I find Salk kind of easy, but others I know have found it challenging. Also, there are so many activities and events going on that you will never get bored during/after school. Plus, outlunch is a bonus!

Posted April 17, 2013
My school is small and filled with teachers who are happy to teach there. and are passionate about what they do. Homework is not just busy work. Assignments are thoughtful and creative. Salk offers many opportunities for parental involvement. Leadership is impressive.

Posted November 15, 2012
My daughter is an 8th grader at Salk and it has been a wonderful experience for her. The curriculum is stimulating and the teachers thoroughly engage the students. This middle school well prepares students for high school.

Posted October 18, 2012
I love SALK! I go to SALK and I just love it! I love the fact that the teachers are so nice and engaging. I love the lessons! For example, in 6th Grade, we had to write an Egyptian story, based off of research, and then turn it into a short play. We also do a ton of hands on Science experiments! The school focuses on Math, Science, and Humanities. The homework is a good size, not too much, but enough to keep you interested and remembering the lesson. I love SALK for it's teachers, lessons, and amazing events!

Posted October 13, 2012
I go to this school and it is like the best school ever! I knew from the beginning that is was going to be great. The teachers are so awesome and I have a great time in all of my classes while I learn so many new and interesting things just in the first month. It is such a lovely school and the people there are just so amazing. I highly advise going to Salk!!

Posted September 27, 2012
As a student at Salk I think it is the best school ever! The teachers are kind and understanding and I have learned so much! I would not want to go to any other school!

Ms 255 Salk School Of Science
320 E 19th St, New York, NY  10003
Last modified Ms 255 Salk School Of Science is a Public school. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 10 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Ms 255 Salk School Of Science Rating: 5 out of 5 based on 37 reviews. Top