Bad
Good

Currently, most people answered Disagree (2 responses)
Currently, most people answered Agree (3 responses)
Currently, most people answered Agree (3 responses)

Teacher effectiveness: Agree

Again, teachers have been the best part of the school for my kid so far.

Amount of homework: Agree

My daughter, who is 3rd grader, spends about an hour on average each day except Friday, Saturday, and Sunday. In addition to that she sometimes bring school projects I work with my kid for. I think this is a reasonable workload for 3rd graders.

I have a 3rd grade daughter who goes to NEST+m. Most of all, she loves her teachers. This gives me a great comfort that there is someone in school she can trust. In terms of curriculum, all subjects seem to cover what 3rd graders need to learn. Workload (i.e., homework) has been reasonable so that she can spend about an hour each day. Emphasis on reading every night is the best. They might need to think about their choice of the 2nd language since many students and parents seem to think the course does not seem to be very successful.

My daughter is finishing Kindergarten at NEST. In terms of academics, the school is very targeted in it's curriculum and my daughter has progressed very well. Mark Berkowitz has come on board as the new principal after the former retired. It's been a little bumpy with regards to his transition, but he seems to work very hard to improve communication with parents and make things right. In general, NEST is a good school, but it can become a great school, with more collaborative efforts between the administration and parents.

Overall, I feel NEST+m has been a positive experience for my 9th grader. The majority of the students are friendly and hard working, and she has some absolutely amazing teachers--truly collegiate level--such as Ms. Corbett, her physics teacher. I honestly cannot speak more highly of Ms. Corbett. Her ability to teach physics and inculcate a love of the subject is unparalleled. there is nothing rote or boring about her teaching methods and she has inspired my daughter to pick AP Physics for her elective next year. the downside of NEST is that a lot of things we were sold on to attend, did not materialize. There used to be a standout science fair, which no longer takes place, as well as monthly guest visits and discussion from experts in policy and science that no longer seem to happen. I would hope as Principal Berkowitz begins to make his mark on the school, that he doesn't forget the 9-12 aspect of having a K-12 school. I understand the need to focus on getting enrollment high in Kindergarten, but there are so few stand-out small science-based high schools in Manhattan (or NYC in general) that he has an amazing and unique opportunity to give students both a rigorous course of study as well as offer a more tailored experience. Restoring funding for lectures and the science fair would be a great start to helping build that.

Teacher effectiveness: Agree

There are a few bad apples who will never leave, thanks to the policies of NYC DOE, but overall , the teachers here are impressive. In particular, the English, Languages and Sciences departments are stand out.

Amount of homework: Disagree

I guess it is the same amount as most competitive high schools, but I feel the work can get overwhelming at times, especially in the beginning of the year.

Develops character: Agree

My daughter is very aware of the rules regarding plagiarism and has learned how to use study groups in a positive way. While the work may never be easy, she is clear on how to get good grades.

School takes care to promote exceptional students, especially in Math. The new principal helps out personally. Not a perfect school but perfect for my son. We plan to stay through 12th. Love the fact that peers are all bright kids. Very happy to have won the lottery!

I can't stand the new hall pass during lunch rule. Its like we need to get on a VIP list to go see a teacher. What's up with that. Also, how come the kids don't have a say on changing the school color. couldn't we have had a vote on the color of the hallways WE walk in?? We may learn and have good teachers. But how come the kids don't have a say? Things weren't this bad with our old principle. WE also lost our 8th grade french teacher, SO IN The middle of the semester, the 6th grade lost their french teacher, because she has to teach the with grade. Now all the French kids have to restart learning a language they didn't want to learn? Why wasn't a new teacher found? Lower school was good. Middle school, not, so, much.

Last modified New Explorations Into Science, Tech and Math High School is a Public school that serves grades K-12. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 8 out of 10 based on academic quality.