/ School Profile

Posted September 30, 2014
I graduated from this school and it was an amazing experience. Perfect amount of work to get me prepared for College. I attended the University of Michigan and thought that Elro did an excellent job preparing me. Keep it up. DGarson

Posted August 17, 2014
Love the school - homework is INSANE - many opportunities - kids are really nice group - not cool to be a slacker here

Posted March 23, 2014
Regarding the homework, it is excessive. I love the school, but let's be honest. My kids are up to at least midnight very night doing homework. There is no time for creativity as even those projects are crammed between reading logs, science summaries, pages of math problems, and history questions. The kids are also expected to do lots of homework over the weekend. Some teachers stay late and offer extra help and are amazing but often these extra help sessions conflict with one another so kids have to choose between them. That said, the rigor does keep the kids engaged with the material so come test time, they are prepared.

Posted February 26, 2014
ERHS is a wonderful school! Teacher are all experts and fully passionnate about teaching and supporting their students through the experience of learning. When my daughter graduated in 12th grade, she was totally prepared for higher learning and is a top student at college now. The work is perfectly organized and safety is never ever a concerned. The school deeply care about the success of each student and it shows with the excellent academic record of the school. I think that everychild that will be entering this school is very fortunate, I highly recommend ERHS.

Posted September 26, 2013
Awesome school with great communication! My son is in 9th grade and so happy to be at this school. Academically challenging indeed with a warm nurturing environment.

Posted August 14, 2013
I am so excited to start at Elro this Fall. They have great Sports teams and Music Programs and can't wait to try out for Basketball, Tennis and Band. The guidance counselor at this school is really nice.

Posted August 13, 2013
Great communication at this school! We are excited to be a part of the 2017 graduating class and community.

Posted December 07, 2011
Elro does not give 5 hours of homework a night. The principal has limited homework to 1/2 hour per night per academic course, for a total of about 2 1/2 hours per night. Over Thanksgiving break, teachers were not allowed to assign more than 1 night of homework. This is a school for hardworking students, but the homework load, while heavy, is not excessive. My son is a senior, not a super hard worker, and he loves this place. The teachers are wonderful.

Eleanor Roosevelt High School 3

Posted December 07, 2011
This exact post re "Going Mentally Mad" is why our son w/our support chose not to go to ER. We had discussed this issue w/several parents of ER students and decided that the excessive pressure wasn't about learning but cramming and status seeking. Parents are beginning to lobby against all this overload that our kids have in the evenings and on weekends. This applies to private as well as public schools Let your voices be heard! 5 hours of homework each night does not make our kids smarter, just exhausted and burned out.

Eleanor Roosevelt High School 4

Posted December 05, 2011
The work load and extended school day puts WAY too much pressure on the students to achieve what the teachers expect of us. Speaking for us all, the schedule and work load needs to be made with regard that each student has a life, and extracurriculers to attend. 5 hours of homework and a LONG school day is too much on us all. Going mentally mad!

Eleanor Roosevelt High School
411 East 76th Street, New York, NY  10021
Last modified Eleanor Roosevelt High School is a Public school that serves grades 9-12. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 9 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Eleanor Roosevelt High School Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 33 reviews. Top