/ School Profile
New York, NY

Thurgood Marshall Academy For Learning And Social 3

Posted June 01, 2013
i spent two years here and it was okay i guess. the building was always clean and the teachers were challenging us but the real problem was the students. my friend was jumped in the locker room twice in one week and there were recordings of it and everything. i had to get out of that bad environment, the fear i was in was really affecting my learning. the teachers provided us with challenging material and curriculum but the only problem were the kids. in the end of my seventh grade year i was threatened by a group of girls who said they were going to jump me. i couldnt even come to the last day of school. this school is also in harlem, a predominately black area, so me being not of african american decent made it challenging to even get into this school, it felt like everyone was giving me a hard time because i didnt look like they did. the lack of diversity is a problem here, but as for academics it is actually ok.

Thurgood Marshall Academy For Learning And Social 4

Posted September 12, 2012
This is my daughter's second year in TMA's middle school. I have to say that from the moment I attend the open house two years ago to this day I have been very impressed with the teachers, the principal and the staff. For the first time, my daughter wants to get good grades and do her best. I like the fact that the teachers call me all the time to tell me that my daughter is working late with them on project or assignment. I also like the fact that she is in a safe and nurturing environment where the teachers don't mind staying late with the children to help them. I like the fact that the teachers listen to the children's concern and address those concerns in a matter where the children are left feeling encouraged and geared for success.

Posted August 08, 2011
My daughter is in TMA, she came from the TMA the Lower school and all I can say is amazing. TMA the lower and the High school has offered my daughter so much and right in front of my eyes she has developed a want and a need for education that could not be obtained anywhere else. The staff is beyond caring of the students, the teachers go above and beyond expectations and to me as a parent this is just a great school. I love the open door policy in which I can just pop in the school and sit in any classroom and just observe. To me this demonstrates that noone has anything to hide.

Thurgood Marshall Academy For Learning And Social 4

Posted May 04, 2011
I am a sophomore at TMA and I absolutely love it. I have been here since the 7th grade and have learned so much. One thing I love about this school is that the teachers have belief and faith in us and therefore have expectations. They push us to our limits. They not only teach us what we need to know but they teach us things from their life's experience. I truly love this school and am proud to say I attend it despite what the poor ratings.

Thurgood Marshall Academy For Learning And Social 2

Posted April 10, 2011
This is my granddaughter second year and it seems some of the teachers are good,but some of the white teachers are not respectful when speaking to some of the students saying you people,and snatching papers out of the students hand.I feel that if you are only here for a paycheck you should not be teaching find another career.I teach my granddaughter to respect adults and I expect the same from them towards the children. I understand the principal is about to retire,but this issue needs to be dealth with before it becomes a problem to serious to talk about.

Posted January 14, 2011
This is my sons first year at TMA and I must say I am very impressed the staff are all professional, respectful and extremely helpful....The academic rigor although a bit much at first is very impressive as they are focused on the students collegiate career..You will not find many middle schools as college driven as TMA...Great School! We love it

Posted July 29, 2009
My son loves this school and I do too. This school has a lot of oppertunities. I am pleased very happy with the staff there.

Posted May 16, 2009
I am a student in Thurgood Marshall Academy. Thurgood Marshall Academy is by far the most excellent school I have attended. Saturday day classes to the Gateway builders program. All the teachers are very welcoming and are always there to help you. Dr.Johnson is just amazing, she is always open ears. The art in Thurgood Marshall Academy is just incredible, I love it. A very good school.

Posted May 07, 2009
I am the parent of a former student of Thurgood Marshall Academy for Learning and Social Change. This school provides an excellent learning environment for students under the instruction of some of the hardest-working teachers that I have had the pleasure to know. The Administrative Staff is great as well. As Principal, Dr. Sandye Poitier-Johnson is outstanding. She cares for and is concerned about her students, while employing a no-nonsense approach regarding their academic achievements and their behavior. From the Security Officers to the Principal, Thurgood Marshall works as a team with their students, never hesitating to assist parents and students (in whatever capacity they can) to solve a problem. After-school assistance is available for students, and ample interesting and fun after-school activities are offered. All-in-all, this is an excellent school.

Posted January 10, 2009
this school is very clean all the teachers behave excellent

Thurgood Marshall Academy For Learning And Social
214 West 135th Street, New York, NY  10030
Last modified Thurgood Marshall Academy For Learning And Social is a Public school that serves grades 6-12. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 3 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Thurgood Marshall Academy For Learning And Social Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 14 reviews. Top