/ School Profile
New York, NY

St George Elementary School 1

Posted May 02, 2013
Current parent here. I am very happy with the Prek and K program but I can also see why so many parents post such negative reviews. Although I have had no interaction with past staff I have had many opportunities to speak with past families and learn about the school and I have to say, honestly, we had no plans to leave our child in St. George past K. Thats the truth. The higher grades have alot of trouble and I feel new teachers are needed! You cant blame parents for speaking the truth! I am very surprised this school stayed open as long as they did. Also a very DIVERSE community attend St George and that is why it remained open. Ukrainian students are minimal and that has been the case for many years now.

Posted April 27, 2013
We received the sad news St. George's is to close. I am so grateful for the experience my son has had here during this past year. I wish that an angel like the one who saved St. Brigid's would intervene. This is a horrible loss for the neighborhood community, and it breaks up a school that functions like a real family.

Posted April 20, 2013
I am a teacher at St. George school and felt that it was time to weigh in. I take pride in my work as an educator. There is nothing more rewarding than helping children develop a love for learning and each day I create experiences in my classroom that are socially and academically enriching. St. George is small, but we have a strong sense of community. Thank you to the current St. George parents who support and encourage us everyday. Ironically it is parents from years past that have the most negative and vindictive comments to say. It is unfortunate that as we try to build up and better our school, there are some that try to tear us down. St. George may have some work to do, but our classes are currently nurturing, innovative and scholastically affluent.

St George Elementary School 3

Posted April 19, 2013
It is obvious the parent below has had no experience with the pre-k/k program here since her daughter attended St. George. My child has been enrolled in St. George for three years, from Pre-K 3 through K and academically exceeds other children her age who attend other schools. Everyday, I am grateful my child was exposed to such creative and caring teachers. When I walk down the halls of St. George I am always impressed by the work every grade is producing. Speaking to the teachers is key. They are passionate, knowledgable and have adapted to common core standards. Yes, the roof could use a makeover, however if you call these professionals, "babysitters", please refer me to yours, she must be incredible!

Posted April 18, 2013
I think this school is a great school. It is very small and the teachers try and help the children as much as possible. I have never had an experience with a teacher saying negative comments to my child so it might have been some of the teachers that use to be there that people had problems with.

Posted April 02, 2013
This is a small school that gives a lot of attention to the children. Every teacher knows your child even if they are not in their grade. The afterschool is till 6pm so that is great for working parents. They have tutors, karate, ballet, ballroom and tap in the afterschool program.

Posted April 01, 2013
The children in this school are very happy and there is an afterschool program that goes to 6pm with tutors from copper union. The school has changed teachers to create a great environment.

Posted March 27, 2013
The last couple of years the school has really changed. Many of the teachers are very passionate about their jobs and the children. The upper grades have great teachers and the high school division places everyone into colleges.

Posted March 26, 2013
I am not sure why there is such negativity regarding St. George School. The classes are small but each child is given individual attention he/she needs. The teachers are AMAZING and know how to make the children excited about learning. My child is in K and reads above his level and does math all because of great, caring, well-educated teachers. There is no need for tutoring outside of school. The students have gym time. The after-school program offers ballet, karate, 'acting group' etc...more than any other school can offer. We are extremely pleased with the school.

Posted March 26, 2013
The teachers here really try. If you have a child going into 6th, 7th or 8th grade Mr. Stasiw and Ms. Klecor are great teachers. Since there are two HS in the school you don't have to worry about them getting into a HS. Also all the children that go to the St. George HS go to college so that's a plus.

St George Elementary School
215 East 6th Street, New York, NY  10003
Last modified St George Elementary School is a Private school that serves grades PK-8
St George Elementary School Rating: 3 out of 5 based on 41 reviews. Top