Bad
Good

Currently, most people answered Strongly agree (3 responses)
Currently, most people answered Just right (2 responses)
Currently, most people answered Very effective (3 responses)

Posted March 15, 2016
I cannot even begin to explain how exceptional the teachers at Anderson are. Every teacher my child has had over her five years there has gone above and beyond to keep me informed. They answer my questions, return my e-mails quickly, and seem genuinely enthusiastic to work there! I have known the parents of the other students for a long time now, and we are like an extended family. I only wish the school went through 12th grade!

Posted June 18, 2015
I'm currently an 8th grader enrolled at this school, and have recently been accepted to Bronx High School of Science and Bard High School (This would not have been possible if it weren't for the amazing guidance counselor). For what it's worth, I believe my experiences at this school cannot be replicated elsewhere. The thing that lifts this school above others is its uncommonly diverse community. Every single member of the student body and the teaching staff are unique thinkers, each with their own skill set. At Anderson, students are trained to think critically for themselves instead of simply repeating whatever is thrown at them. With incredibly versatile teachers and lesson plans, Anderson makes sure that no student is left behind. This school also promotes independence. From 4th grade and up, students are given the opportunity to go on overnight trips to places like Plymouth Plantation, Boston, and Washington D.C. Furthermore, Anderson has resources that you'd be hard-pressed to find at another public school. Fundraisers organized by the immensely supportive PTA and parent community help keep the school well funded. As a result, we enjoy brand-new MacBook laptop, desktops, and a well-stocked in-school library! My point is, Anderson is an amazing school with wonderful opportunities to offer. Yes, there is a very selective placement and admissions test, but it's worth it. Anderson's most important asset is the people in it. Here, talent is embraced with open arms, and the barriers of race, gender, and religion are put aside. If you struggle to conceive the idea that such a place does in fact exist, come visit. You'll have a chance to meet students like myself and decide for yourself. This school doesn't have a 10/10 rating for nothing.

Posted June 04, 2015
The school employs a system, starting in kindergarten, that emphasizes developing well rounded children, capable of critical thought. The standards are high with teachers expecting students to achieve the standards set for the grade above them. There is a fair bit of homework, but I can see it paying off. The teachers are also very experienced and very motivated to improve themselves and the curriculum. Overall the community is understanding and supportive, although that seems to be naturally difficult given that classmates live all over the city.

Posted February 25, 2015
The school community and student body has been well beyond our expectations. Our child's classes are very challenging yet manageable. The administration sets an incredible standard for the NYC education system. Kids create a competitive, yet collaborative environment.

Posted March 12, 2014
Hi all, I am an eighth grader in Anderson and I just got accepted into Stuyvesant and Bard after taking the SHSAT and the Bard Test. I found both tests surprisingly easy, and was very prepared after going through Anderson from Kindergarten to eighth grade as well as receiving extensive tutoring since September. I love Anderson; the teachers are all great and are ready to give you help at a moment's notice, and the students all support each other, without much development of cliques. I recently had some trouble with getting my homework in on time, and my grades suffered because of it. The teachers and guidance counselor were there for me, helping me with everything I needed to get on track. This is a great school, and I would highly recommend it.

Posted February 15, 2014
The Anderson School....where to start? It provides a positively amazing, education, enjoyable and enthralling learning experience that I have not experienced else where. I was personally amazed at how smart, talented and kind all the kids are; as a "new kid", I felt accepted and happy here. Every single teacher is wonderful, the facilities are great and the curriculum is challenging, but not too hard either. When I wake up in the morning, I actually want to go to school! Anderson is, hands down, worth it.

Posted May 03, 2013
My son is in his fifth year at Anderson, and we couldn't be happier. All of his teachers go above and beyond to make school both fun and challenging. He loves the exceptional music program. I am impressed with his math projects that are "real life" oriented.

Posted October 29, 2012
I am a student at Anderson in 8th grade and absolutely love it there. Since there are only two classes of 32-33 people (per class), i really feels like a family. I have been with the same kids since kinder-garden; although some left for Delta or Hunter or just moved, even the new kids fit in fine and easily become part of our Anderson family. I have been in this school for 9 years, and absolutely positively love it. I have a bunch of friends, great teachers, and mostly fun projects and homework. Anderson offers an honor program for 7th and 8th graders who take the regents in January of 8th grade instead of the regular time in June. Every teacher at Anderson is great and will definitely help your child succeed in whatever it is they are doing. The school offers an extended day program for 37 1/2 minutes after school to help students who need extra help in a certain subject. Anderson also offers many sports without much competition since there are only about 64-66 kids per grade. This school is definetly for anyone who loves to learn and who loves to have fun in school, like last year we learned about the Puritans so we held a Puritan school day with Mrs. Feick! Anderson!!!

Posted March 21, 2012
In addition to top-notch academics, Anderson values the arts. Our students receive classes in visual arts, dance and music. Teachers are encouraged to use creativity in their lessons, and are not required to teach "one-size-fits-all" scripted lessons. The administrators know their stuff, the parents are wonderful partners in education, and the children are full of joy and wonder. It is a pleasure to work at Anderson!

Posted May 09, 2011
A great school for all G&T kids, it challenges and teaches kids really well. I love it!

The Anderson School
100 West 77th Street, New York, NY  10024
Last modified The Anderson School is a Public school that serves grades K-8. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 10 out of 10 based on academic quality.