Bad
Good

Currently, most people answered Agree (2 responses)
Currently, most people answered Strongly agree (2 responses)
Currently, most people answered Strongly agree (2 responses)

Teacher effectiveness: Strongly agree

The EVCS teaching body is AMAZING. During our 5 years so far our son has never had a teacher he didn't like, respect and trust. They are so dedicated and focused - all of them. They are good people with a real commitment to teaching our kids. And they really enjoy being there! That's very important - it translates to the children, and makes them excited to be at school and part of something positive and useful.

Amount of homework: Agree

The homework packets are carefully measured - we've never felt as though we were mired down with home work at all. The packets are fun, considered, and very useful in reiterating the lessons the kids are learning in class. Our son loves to do his homework!

Develops character: Strongly agree

EVCS has a very well-developed social-emotional curriculum which is really the foundation of the school. The Principal and teachers model honesty and integrity for the kids, and use various techniques to teach and encourage the kids to do the same.

EVCS is a fantastic school. The Principal is a smart, forward-thinking leader who makes himself available to the parent and student body at both drop off and pick up every day. He leads an amazing team of teachers who are committed to their task of educating our kids, and do so with kindness, warmth and clarity. I couldn't have imagined that a NYC public school could be this good! It really is just a wonderful experience - our son has been at EVCS since Pre-K and is in his 5th year so far, and just loves it. We feel so lucky to have a place at this fantastic school.

It's my daughters second year and like at all schools you'll find a few kinks. I mean not everyone will be happy. My daughter was bullied by another girl but I took care of that day 1 and it was handled. The parents are a bit clicky but as people we naturally gravitate to those who have similar interests and views . But overall I like the school. It's welcoming for those who are different which is all of us. Lol. Everyone here is a bit kooky in their own way. After the nightmare at my sons school I must say I love love love EVCS.

Remarkable model for a progressive NYC Public school. Interactive curriculum, with a socio-emotional foundation focused on the "whole" child. The increasing wealth in the neighborhood makes me concerned for its future, but for the moment it remains a culturally and socio-economically diverse place that spends its time and resources focused on creating the best educational experience available. We really love this place...

What a gift this school is! Our daughter is in 2nd grade and we could not be more pleased. EVCS is public elementary education that spends it's energy and resources locating the nexus of academic rigor and child centered, socio-emotional development. We feel like we found a private, progressive school within NYC public education. Like all good things, there remain opportunities for development and improvement, but we came from an extraordinary private school of which we could easily have said the same. We're grateful and encouraged by the administration's diligence in striving higher and always looking to bring the best they can to the kids. Our child's reading has leaped forward in two months, and her numbers and general math fluency are evidenced by the "sprints" she brings home each week. I hope the Dept of Ed recognizes schools like this that go beyond what's required and bring such a heightened level of primary education to our neighborhood.

This school is mediocre at best! The worst decision of my life! My son attended this school four years ago for first and second grades and hated every minute of it. At first glanced it appeared to be a "progressive" school, but was nothing more than sub-standard "wanna be" school. The bullying from the faculty and children were horrendous! Bullying here is acceptable and encouraged as the teachers watch them get teased, pushed and hurt without making the attempt to stop it. The principle is a joke, the vice principle is a bully himself and the teachers all find ways to label your child if s/he doesn't conform to their "textbook" examples/case studies. My son is still recovering from from that nightmare people call a school. I thought the first year was an adjustment period, but once he told me they made him feel "different", I took him out immediately. Academically, that place is a joke with one days worth of homework (5 math problems and a drawing from a book they read) for the whole week! I made sure he remained up to par with work books and activities. Save yourself and child heartache and don't enroll your child in this school! You will regret it.

My daughter has been at the school for two years now, and we have been very satisfied with the interesting curriculum and dedicated, talented teaching staff. The atmosphere is fun, and we have made many new friends. The facilities are fine and safe.

The Learning environment is very relaxed, the children learn very well and all the kids love school.

Last modified The East Village Community School is a Public school that serves grades PK-5. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 9 out of 10 based on academic quality.