Bad
Good

Currently, most people answered Strongly disagree (1 response)
Currently, most people answered Don't know (1 response)
Currently, most people answered Effective (1 response)
Currently, most people answered Teacher (1 response)

The Children S Workshop School
Grateful to: Teacher

Posted May 04, 2016
My daughter was lucky to have Scott for three years at CWS. Scott was able to handle a room full of fifth grade energy with zen, humor, strength, and an omnipresent Starbucks coffee. My daughter was lucky to have him and Scott will be one of her teachers she remembers and cherishes forever.

The Children S Workshop School 4

Posted May 31, 2015
My daughter attends PreK this year so while we don't have many years experience we have been very satisfied with her education thus far. All the teachers we have had interactions with have been great. I feel like we have us great feedback from our teacher regarding our daughters progress. Especially refreshing is that the teachers seem to really enjoy teaching the kids & teaching at this school. We will be returning to CWS this fall for kindergarten. I have been as active as I can on the PTA and have found the parents generally to be involved & caring.

Posted October 23, 2014
My daughter started CWS in pre-k and is now in 4th--we love CWS! At the heart of the school is the ethos of peace and social justice and our wise and dedicated teachers and staff.. We have an active PTA and the school really does run like a family, with 23 years of traditions. CWS attracts families who value diversity in all its permutations and we have an inclusion program with PS94-The Spectrum School, which shares the building. Reading, writing and critical thinking are infused across all subjects- in Math, Social Studies, Science. My daughter is learning note-taking and research skills, going on field trips, doing group projects, meeting in her book group and enjoying all of it. We also love the art, music and movement offered at CWS--weekly art classes, music, and yoga or gym classes (held outside or at Campos Community Center's gym). 3/4/5 graders can join the Chorus and the Band and can apply for the Turtle Bay Music School Saturday program. The very affordable after-school clubs offer dance, karate, robotics, among others. My daughter is excited for the fourth grade farm trip and the 5th grade trip to DC. We are grateful to be members of the CWS family!

Posted October 22, 2014
My child is finishing up her last year at CWS. She started in Pre-K and her time at the school has been incredibly successful. She has developed relationships not only with her peers, but with all of her teachers, and the staff. It really is a community and a family.

Posted August 12, 2014
We transferred from another school in the neighborhood and by the first week in, we were quite pleased to have felt like we found our school 'home'. Maria is a very knowledgeable principal and so are the staff - with high-level degrees from NYU, Bank Street College just to name a couple. The children come first here and Maria doesn't just let any teacher or substitute teacher enter through the doors, they are carefully selected. There are many ways parents can volunteer/get involved. If you are into school PTAs this is the place to be. They are very active in raising money for the various programs the school offers: music and arts instruction, field trips to the farm and Washington DC, yoga...The parents were involved in receiving grants for the auditorium remodel as well as the upgrades in technology for the classrooms and library. In addition, there is affordable after-school clubs everyday of the week, ranging from guitar, sports, cooking to mural painting. CWS is great if you want small sized classrooms & differentiated learning. It's also good to know that over 90% of the families get into their 1st choice middle schools.

Posted February 04, 2014
It has been an absolute joy to have both of my daughters enrolled in this school. My kindergartener started reading just two months into the school year and my third grader is reading at the fifth grade level and won't put a book down! SO much arts education and smart boards in the classroom - nurturing environment too. I LOVE the small class sizes and school size ( my third grader only has 18 kids in her class - unheard of). Best part is the collaboration between staff and parents. Would highly recommend this progressive school to any child in the five boroughs.

Posted January 22, 2013
What a gem on the lower east side! I have been very happy with the principle and the staff of this school. I feel so lucky to be able to send my child to a pubic school that uses the same philosophy of some other very expensive private schools.

The Children S Workshop School 1

Posted July 03, 2012
Terrible school, nothing to do with resources. But lack of leadership and a Principal who is not 'present'. My son failed in that school yet one year into Middle School he is high honors! Go figure! CWS is great if you want your kids to paint and do ballet and yoga!

The Children S Workshop School 2

Posted November 06, 2011
The school tries, unfortunately with the school system today , this school like many others, suffer from the lack of resources, budget and simply the care for students. Because of the lack of school funds the quality of education becomes second to the welfare and proper education techniques or lack there of.

Posted May 26, 2011
Both of my kids started in Pre-K and will graduate soon, so we know this school for years. I feel they have sometimes a bit too much homework, but especially their writing training (with regular writer's celebration) makes my kids excel in their command of English. They also love science, and for all the other stuff there are lots of offers from parents for the after-school clubs. It is a great community, and principal and staff do great work to make it all happen.

The Children S Workshop School
610 East 12th Street, New York, NY  10009
Last modified The Children S Workshop School is a Public school that serves grades PK-5. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 8 out of 10 based on academic quality.