Bad
Good

47 the American Sign Language and English Lower School 1

Posted October 28, 2014
This School can use a makeover! From the Top, the Teachers are Great but, are kept in the Dark about what is expected. The Parents are also kept in the dark. But, my Faith is Strong and I know that I (we) the new parents were put here for a reason! We need this School so, Change is Coming!

Posted October 28, 2014
Small class size. Nice diversity in the lower grades. Some expert teachers. Leadership needs improvement in several areas. The school could use some help with their website and getting information to the parents. They currently do not have open houses for potential parents. Structure for parent involvement is very weak.

Posted October 27, 2014
This school has a strong Reggio based pre-k for three and four year olds. The teachers that my kids have had are awesome. I like the small class size. The children seem happy. There is a lack of enrichment courses. The administration could benefit from structure. The way schools care about children is reflected in the way schools care about families and the administration is not reaching out or encouraging parents to be active in the school. I think lack of a plan to build strong parent community is an issue. The low test scores are alarming in the higher grades and are in high need to be addressed with both teacher development and tutoring for students.

Posted October 22, 2014
Great Pre-k program. I have a child in the pre-k program currently. The Reggio Emilia Style Pre-k is wonderful. Six years ago, some of the teachers were able to go to Italy to learn first hand the Reggio Style of teaching. The classes are small, capped at 12 for the pre-k. The Pre-k goes on at least 8 field trips a year. The teachers we have had the opportunity of working with are very educated and nurturing. The current administration at the school is not striving for excellence or even working with the teachers for the best interests of the children. It is very unfortunate, that the administration is not striving to make it a place of academic excellence or for strong parent community. If the administration had some professional training, I think the school might go in a better direction and could potentially be one of the most sought after schools in the city.

Posted July 09, 2013
My daughter attends pre-k at 47 and we absolutely love being here. Her teachers are amazing, helping her find her way. Her classmates are loving. The library is so full of books I almost cried the first time I saw it - I love to learn. From the guards at the front door to the parent coordinator, everyone has taken an interest in helping my daughter become the best version of herself that she can be. LOVE 47.

Posted October 16, 2012
Hasta este momento mi hijo me ha comentado que se siente muy bien es el primer a o de el y no he tenido ningun problema. Ademas aprenden otro lenguage.

Posted May 20, 2010
We have a fabulous 21st century library media program! Authors, Working Artists and musicians come to teach. Kids learn American Sign Language, too.

Posted September 01, 2009
As librarian since 2002, I can say that I work in collaboration with all teachers with two student outcomes in mind: (1) they love books and have access to their favorites, and (2) they learn how to conduct inquiry: asking questions, investigating, and using multimedia to create projects. I love working with our bilingual staff and our kids become pretty sophisticated thinkers and fluent in two languages, if not three! I applaud them and our teachers. Visit us at http://www.47lowerschool.org and don't miss the library site!

47 the American Sign Language and English Lower School 2

Posted March 30, 2009
My son goes to the school here and sometime they can be a little bit out of control. They need more help.

47 the American Sign Language and English Lower School

Posted July 29, 2008
my nephew goes to school here.. from what I've seen-- the school is not organize and poorly managed. classes are small, but the students are not performing well.

47 the American Sign Language and English Lower School
223 East 23rd Street, New York, NY  10010
Last modified 47 the American Sign Language and English Lower School is a Public school that serves grades PK-8
47 the American Sign Language and English Lower School Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 11 reviews. Top