Urban Assembly School Of Design And Construction 3

Posted May 15, 2014
I used to attend UASDC. The teachers at the time that I attended were engaging and challenging. Good at their jobs. They were dedicated to finding the most comfortable path for a student to take in order to pass and will be more than willing to stay after with you provided they have the time, which they usually do. Matthew Willoughby is an excellent Principal. Very calm and willing to lend an ear to any problems a student may be having. This also applies to much of the staff, who are generally more than willing to assist a student. When I attended, security was a problem. They were *VERY* rude, the number of metal detectors open would vary day-by-day and even if one was not currently in operation, they would not open it to speed up the process. When one detector is open, the process is much slower and students who would normally be on time with two detectors open, have to come in late because they decided to open only one. NYPD also patrol the halls, the atmosphere in the building is bleak. The Gym is shared between schools with two schools often sharing a period. Kids are dismissed and herded by the NYPD away from the premises. No waiting for friends. 3/5.

Urban Assembly School Of Design And Construction 3

Posted October 19, 2013
I've read the previous "1-2 star" reviews and I can confirm that they're exaggerating. I'd like reprimand against the dress code and "not challenging" parts. From personal experience, I believe dress code facilitates a sense of professionalism because if boys were to sag their pants, wear hats, and sneakers they would act the way they dress. You would certainly not see someone dressing "ghetto" in a law firm or matter of fact any professional high paying jobs. I believe the reason they enforce and regulate dress code even more is because it brings a sense of unity and togetherness in the community. This way the students would not be able to differentiate or judge a person by their clothing(which in fact everyone does passively) because everyone is wearing technically the same thing. I'd laugh at the people saying that the school isn't "academically" challenging because than they've obviously haven't taking (pre)calculus which is offered and I've been doing excellent. Not so much work that would cause depression and the propensity to drop out or not even care because of it. However, not too little because it's prepared me for the regents. UASDC is an amazing school.

Urban Assembly School Of Design And Construction 4

Posted February 20, 2013
As a teacher at the school I totally disagree with the previous statement regarding how teachers view their students. We know that this is not a specialized school but I see most of the teachers working very hard with the students day after day, staying after school. We also have great after school programs such as the ACE Mentor Program and terrific internship in New York top firms such SOM, Turner Construction or The Center For Architecture to name just a few. If a student feel he/she is not challenge enough all they have to do is ask the teachers to challenge them, this constantly happens in my class. As far as the dress code is concerned I am not a big advocate of it but I realize that it is necessary with our students population where a minority may not dress properly for a school environment. Finally the metal detectors are unfortunate reflection of our society most high schools in NY have them so are office buildings and airports!

Urban Assembly School Of Design And Construction 1

Posted July 19, 2012
This school is so bad the teachers and stuff (mostly staff) treat the students as a joke the school is very unorganized and dress code in this school is more important then learning, I absouletly regret choosing this school is very bad and if your a girl attending this school good luck because the school is 90% male and trust me that not a good thing in the long run, do yourselves a favor and save yourselves don't attend this school it not worth it!

Urban Assembly School Of Design And Construction 1

Posted September 08, 2010
I have been going to this school for the past 2-3 years and it is one of the worst educational expeirences I have ever had. The teacher and atmosphere of the school is bad and the dress code and metal detectors make school feel like a prison. The teachers and staff is always on the lookout for students out of dress code and it doesnt let anyone express themselves in anyway. This School can offer you nothing for benifits of the future. The academic problems are far from challenging, you and your peers will feel as if the teachers and staff think that you are not capable of challenging academic programs. Also this school has few to no sports activity and it just doesnt give a good vibe for an educational environment. Sorry if I make any gramatical errors in my review because ive been going to this school.

Urban Assembly School Of Design And Construction 2

Posted September 23, 2008
metal detetors are oppressive and so is the school dress code. uniform clothing styes, wanding in the morning, and no off campus lunch privileges make kids think, not unreasonably I'd say, of jail. the english and science curriculms in 9th grade were terribly weak, math and history ok, and good music (guitar) and design programs. still, they don't teach to a high academic level here ovberall. the school is also almost all guys--and not a very creative or artistic atmosphere despite the design thing going on. the school does well by many kids, but make sure its a fit before you send yours. it was a match made in hell for mine, who eventually left for greener pastures.

Urban Assembly School Of Design And Construction 5

Posted November 02, 2007

Urban Assembly School Of Design And Construction
525 W 50th St, New York, NY  10019
Last modified Urban Assembly School Of Design And Construction is a Public school that serves grades 9-12. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 4 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Urban Assembly School Of Design And Construction Rating: 3 out of 5 based on 7 reviews.