Bad
Good

Currently, most people answered Disagree (1 response)
Currently, most people answered Disagree (1 response)
Currently, most people answered Strongly disagree (1 response)
Currently, most people answered Neutral (1 response)
Currently, most people answered Strongly disagree (1 response)

if i were to tell you all the problems that are wrong with this school i would be here until the sun supernovaed and killed me . I've been going to this hell hole for 6 years now and i'm in the 11 grade right now . I can say with 100% certainty that if it wasn't for me and other selected student bring up the test scores , the school would have been shut down . the principal is a condensing childish man who lacks any of all respect for his teachers which has lead to several of the best teachers leaving over the years . this being the case my grades really suffered in 7th and 8 th grade . worst school ever , please don't come here if you care about our children. teacher don't even really punish the bad kids that make up 95 percent of all the students making learning very hard. in some classes 40 of the 45 minutes of instruction go to kids just talking and cracking jokes so even if you want to learn good luck trying to here the teachers.

I'm scared to go to this school! The students are not serious about class AT ALL.

As a current parent of FDA II my daughter is in middle school and this is her second year at FDA II. I am very happy with the teachers involvement with the parents. I find that pupil path is great the teachers reach out to me via pupil path, text, e-mail, telephone. The teachers are engaged in their students progress and my daughter has improved every year in this school. I have had my problems with middle school administration, but after contacting the principle these issues are resolved. I haven't had the terrible experience with the principle that other have had on this post. If I had to say one bad thing about the school, they need to get rid of the co-location why are 4,5 graders in a school housing middle and high school students. These children should be in an environment with younger students, not tweens and teens. I think the school would be better if they replaced the current middle school Dean, he is not on his game and he doesn't return telephone calls. That is not a good way to keep parents engaged. Other then that I am happy with the school and I would recommend it to any parent who is looking for a good school for their child.

I agree that the administration at FDA II is very disrespectful to teachers. The principal could serve as a poster boy for what egomania looks like in practice. Grades are inflated on a regular basis and students' uniforms are of more importance than their work ethic. This school operates by looking good on the surface with virtually nothing of substance to back up their removal from the bottom of the barrel. The SQR and report card grade are highly suspect.

I taught at this school and I can tell you it is terrible. The teachers try really hard but they exist under almost unworkable conditions thanks to the new principal, Mr. Afriyie. This guy was let go from his previous job at the Eagle Academy for Young Men, has been accussed of forcing teachers to inflate grades, and even for locking a teacher in a room all day without access to a bathroom, etc. as punishment (see the Daily News). IMO this is not a principal who cares about students - this is an egomaniac who operates in very shady and mean ways. I loved the kids, but it broke my heart that they were exposed to this environment. If you don't have to send your kids there - don't.

My daughter attended FDAII for 7 years and graduated 4th in her school. FDAII is a new High school. I have to say honestly that her first 2 years were very difficult. FDAII strives for excellence in all their scholars. Their main focus is to prepare them for college from the very beginning. They succeeded in doing this with their first graduating class this year, 2007. My daughter got accepted into 4 prestigious colleges. They offer excellent extracurricular activities, although, parent involvement is mediocre. The only complaint I have is the foreign language classes. For the 4 years she took up Spanish, she hadn't learn much. I felt that the weakness there was in the teacher, not the school itself. Their Young Ambassador's foreign exchange Program permitted my daughter to go to South Africa. She learned so much from this. I would highly recommend FDAII to all parents.

Last modified Frederick Douglas Academy II Secondary School is a Public school that serves grades 6-12. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 5 out of 10 based on academic quality.