Posted July 01, 2014
I'm scared to go to this school! The students are not serious about class AT ALL.

Frederick Douglas Academy Ii Secondary School 4

Posted May 23, 2013
As a current parent of FDA II my daughter is in middle school and this is her second year at FDA II. I am very happy with the teachers involvement with the parents. I find that pupil path is great the teachers reach out to me via pupil path, text, e-mail, telephone. The teachers are engaged in their students progress and my daughter has improved every year in this school. I have had my problems with middle school administration, but after contacting the principle these issues are resolved. I haven't had the terrible experience with the principle that other have had on this post. If I had to say one bad thing about the school, they need to get rid of the co-location why are 4,5 graders in a school housing middle and high school students. These children should be in an environment with younger students, not tweens and teens. I think the school would be better if they replaced the current middle school Dean, he is not on his game and he doesn't return telephone calls. That is not a good way to keep parents engaged. Other then that I am happy with the school and I would recommend it to any parent who is looking for a good school for their child.

Posted March 14, 2013
I agree that the administration at FDA II is very disrespectful to teachers. The principal could serve as a poster boy for what egomania looks like in practice. Grades are inflated on a regular basis and students' uniforms are of more importance than their work ethic. This school operates by looking good on the surface with virtually nothing of substance to back up their removal from the bottom of the barrel. The SQR and report card grade are highly suspect.

Posted August 31, 2011
I taught at this school and I can tell you it is terrible. The teachers try really hard but they exist under almost unworkable conditions thanks to the new principal, Mr. Afriyie. This guy was let go from his previous job at the Eagle Academy for Young Men, has been accussed of forcing teachers to inflate grades, and even for locking a teacher in a room all day without access to a bathroom, etc. as punishment (see the Daily News). IMO this is not a principal who cares about students - this is an egomaniac who operates in very shady and mean ways. I loved the kids, but it broke my heart that they were exposed to this environment. If you don't have to send your kids there - don't.

Frederick Douglas Academy Ii Secondary School 5

Posted August 18, 2009

Frederick Douglas Academy Ii Secondary School 5

Posted October 31, 2007
My daughter attended FDAII for 7 years and graduated 4th in her school. FDAII is a new High school. I have to say honestly that her first 2 years were very difficult. FDAII strives for excellence in all their scholars. Their main focus is to prepare them for college from the very beginning. They succeeded in doing this with their first graduating class this year, 2007. My daughter got accepted into 4 prestigious colleges. They offer excellent extracurricular activities, although, parent involvement is mediocre. The only complaint I have is the foreign language classes. For the 4 years she took up Spanish, she hadn't learn much. I felt that the weakness there was in the teacher, not the school itself. Their Young Ambassador's foreign exchange Program permitted my daughter to go to South Africa. She learned so much from this. I would highly recommend FDAII to all parents.

Frederick Douglas Academy Ii Secondary School 4

Posted February 03, 2007

Frederick Douglas Academy Ii Secondary School
215 W 114th St, New York, NY  10026
Last modified Frederick Douglas Academy Ii Secondary School is a Public school. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 2 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Frederick Douglas Academy Ii Secondary School Rating: 3 out of 5 based on 7 reviews.