/ School Profile
New York, NY
Before care: Yes
After care: No

Posted September 16, 2013
fantastic! Hands on learning, motivated and engaged students, devoted and strong teachers. Teachers who go the extra steps your child needs. A caring community of parents and teachers. My kids are getting an excellent education there.

Posted March 30, 2011
CPE1 is truly a progressive education school. It is a place where children are part of a cohesive and nurturing community, where they learn academics within a curriculum of arts, working together, finding individual interests and passions and valuing others. The emphasis is on helping children learn to think and problem solve and create and make choices. Our children love it there, they love going to school. Between attending Metropolitan Opera, visiting the zoo week after week to intensively study animal behavior, becoming strong and reflective writers and finding their voice, deeply understanding math concepts, ice skating weekly, what more could we ask for?

Posted June 24, 2009
Creates independent life long learners! Fantastic Art, Music, Movement, Opus 118 opportunity, with a fantastically diverse and caring staff and parent community!

Posted March 31, 2009
After four years at another school in a G&T program, my son couldn't be happier in school. He has dedicated, smart, caring and innovative teachers. The principal is welcoming, involved and understands how kids really grow into responsible, thoughtful, scholarly citizens. The parent coordinator is very friendly, responsible and seriously great at her job! You really couldn't ask for more in a public school. Some say it's lacking in academic rigor, but I disagree. I don't think burning kids out with test prep and busy-work homework is how you raise outstanding students. It's how you burn kids out quickly!

Posted October 10, 2008
it is great, everyone should look at it!!! it has a great curriculum for a public school. it is an awesome school, a lot of people would enjoy the way the schools goes.

Central Park East I 0

Posted October 02, 2008
My child has attend this school since kindergarten and our entire family is ever so pleased. The school has wonderful facilities, including a fantastic art room, a movement room, and a fantastic new play yard. Just as important is its amazing team of teachers and paraprofessionals, its highly active parent association, and a wonderful staff including highly involved and accessible parent coordinator and principal. Home-school communication is top-notch. It seems likely that a gifted program could have been attainable given my child's highly accelerated learning, but such children can thrive in this school, which treats kids as individuals and continues to move them rapidly ahead, even as they learn about the real world and interact with diverse classmates from many different backgrounds and with many different styles and paces of learning.

Posted September 17, 2008
My son goes there and this school could not be better.

Posted November 06, 2007
Every morning when I wake up and see my son getting ready for school with a smile in his face I know I made a right decision choosing this school. He is learning faster than I never could imagine before, he is not 5 yet and he knows to write his name, painting with definition, he sings and dances, he knows about animals, and time, he is listening better, he cleans his room without me asking him to do it, he loves cooking with me at home and he tells me about what he cooks at class, he has less fear with new people and play wonderful with his partners, his evolution in only one year is really amazing...

Central Park East I 4

Posted November 02, 2007
It took months of tours, research, and discussions with other parents for us to decide that CPE1 is the place we want our children to go for their elementary education. We have two children at the school (PK & 1) and we all love it. CPE1 is a breath of fresh air with its deemphasis on standardized testing and its focus on really teaching children to think. My 1st grader is reading independently, has no problem with addition, is tackling subtraction, and knows enough about science and nature to 'rock' the Trivail Pursuit orange category (am I dating myself?). My PK child writes independently and in two short months has developed sufficient word recognition skills to where she 'reads' to me at night. This is a great school for all the right reasons and hopefully the seriously flawed schoolwide grading system will not detract from what CPE1 does so well.

Posted November 01, 2007
I cannot think of another school where I would like to have my two children attend. The teachers truly see each child as an individual and work extremely hard to foster their growth. Children really have the opportunity to make choices during the school day, which has made my children mature and centered. They have the chance to be children and enjoy their childhood. Both my children love to read and are competent in math, and they both love going to school! Parents and families are a welcome presence at CPEl, and there are many community events which brings families closer together. If it takes a village to raise a child, this is one of those villages! Families who go to CPE know that a good education cannot be measured simply by test scores. We don't want our children taught to the test-we want our children to be learning.

Central Park East I
1573 Madison Avenue, New York, NY  10029
Last modified Central Park East I is a Public school that serves grades PK-5. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 8 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Central Park East I Rating: 5 out of 5 based on 14 reviews. Top