/ School Profile
New York, NY

Teacher effectiveness: Very effective

Posted June 25, 2015
Mr. Mynt - always supportive and fun Mr. Jackson- strict but very eficient and neat Mrs. Brady - helps students by taking some of her own time.

Posted June 25, 2015
This school is wonderful. The teachers are incredibly helpful. The first year I came here my ELA state test score went from a 2 to a 4! The teachers care so much about the students and take time to ensure that every student understands the lesson. This school has a bountiful amount of extra curricular programs that students are ecstatic to join. I can't think of another school that is this caring, and educational.

Posted June 25, 2015
The reason why I rated my experience at this school as great is because this school has very high expectations of the students and the teachers are very helpful and have made a positive impact in my life. Some teachers that are very helpful is Mr.Jackson he is always expecting the best from all and he has made a positive impact because he has opened our minds and he made us see that everything has a reasoning behind it. Mrs. Demiri helps me by challenging me on subjects that i have mastered. All the teachers have an advanced group which makes us dig deeper and think harder but yet make us grow academically. The school expects our best and if we don't give our best we are pushed, challenged and even given extra help outside of class time.

Teacher effectiveness: Very effective

Posted June 25, 2015
They are wonderful! They push me academically and help me when I need it by providing "AP Courses"

Posted June 25, 2015
This is a great school! The teachers are very caring and concerned about your well-being and education. Some of the best teachers include Mr.Jackson, Mr.Myint, Ms.Dragoon/ Ms.Passy, and Ms.Ha. The rest of the staff is also wonderful! Whenever they see you, they will without a doubt greet you with a warm hello. There are high education standards that are expected from every student, and our school is determined to push every student to their greatest/highest potential. The school is full of amazing people with big hearts, who are leading future leaders of the world!

Paula Hedbavny School 4

Posted June 25, 2015
Great supporting staff and teachers with a tremendous family oriented atmosphere. The discipline is great and academically students are challenged and pushed to reach to the next level.

Posted January 30, 2015
Great school culture. Faculty and Administrators keep the school moving in a positive direction. Support staff make it a safe place. PTA is highly motivated. Students are diverse and it's good that they have a safe place to learn and even make mistakes in a supportive environment.

Posted May 02, 2014
When we first started thinking about schools several years ago we didn't even know 278 existed. But here was this rising, well-respected school right in our area, and we chose it over several other options. We've been very happy with our experience so far. The school is now quite popular (one of the only schools in all of Upper Manhattan to have a waitlist) and for good reason. Wonderful teachers, attentive administration, art and music.... The shared cafeteria and gym with PS 18 do present some challenges but the combination of the two schools also works positively for things like menu and the unusually good auditorium. If you are considering attending and want to learn more than you've seen on the tour, don't sit on 220th St and focus on the industrial surroundings or plain schoolyard. (The outside of the school is admittedly less attractive than many.) You won't see any of the kids on those blocks outside of school hours. The actual heart of the school on evenings and weekends is Isham Park, in the middle of the school's zone and where many of the students play off-hours. And of course the spacious and well maintained inside of the school is very much up to par.

Posted April 14, 2014
My son is in Kindergarten with Ms. Paynter. We could not be happier with our choice of school or teacher than we are right now. Ms Paynter manages all of the distinct personalities of the kids with a cheerful and sunny demeanor. The children are engaged and excited about learning. Parents have seemingly unlimited opportunities to participate actively i the curriculum. She provides frequent updates via email and a photo website so we always know what the kids are working on. The school itself is about as close to a parochial school style as a public school can get. In a neighborhood with a wide range of income levels I appreciate the uniform policy. The principal, Mrs. Guido, is a very "firm but fair" type and the kids seem to thrive in the structured environment. The PTA is extremely strong and provides parents with one more way to participate in the education process. The school offers music, dance, arts and other creative outlets in world class fashion. The lunch menu has me jealous of my son's choices. I wish they had more opportunity for physical play, but this seems to be a universal component of schools under pressure to improve test scores. Overall, we love PS/MS 278.

Paula Hedbavny School 4

Posted April 02, 2014
My school PSMS 278 is a strongly community oriented. The arts, dance and music classes are strong part of the curriculum. Parents and students are actively involved in the school life and future. Teachers, principal and vice principal are extremely responsive to students' needs.

421 West 219th Street, New York, NY  10034
Last modified Paula Hedbavny School is a Public school that serves grades K-8. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 6 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Paula Hedbavny School Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 67 reviews. Top