/ School Profile
New York, NY

Posted May 02, 2014
When we first started thinking about schools several years ago we didn't even know 278 existed. But here was this rising, well-respected school right in our area, and we chose it over several other options. We've been very happy with our experience so far. The school is now quite popular (one of the only schools in all of Upper Manhattan to have a waitlist) and for good reason. Wonderful teachers, attentive administration, art and music.... The shared cafeteria and gym with PS 18 do present some challenges but the combination of the two schools also works positively for things like menu and the unusually good auditorium. If you are considering attending and want to learn more than you've seen on the tour, don't sit on 220th St and focus on the industrial surroundings or plain schoolyard. (The outside of the school is admittedly less attractive than many.) You won't see any of the kids on those blocks outside of school hours. The actual heart of the school on evenings and weekends is Isham Park, in the middle of the school's zone and where many of the students play off-hours. And of course the spacious and well maintained inside of the school is very much up to par.

Posted April 14, 2014
My son is in Kindergarten with Ms. Paynter. We could not be happier with our choice of school or teacher than we are right now. Ms Paynter manages all of the distinct personalities of the kids with a cheerful and sunny demeanor. The children are engaged and excited about learning. Parents have seemingly unlimited opportunities to participate actively i the curriculum. She provides frequent updates via email and a photo website so we always know what the kids are working on. The school itself is about as close to a parochial school style as a public school can get. In a neighborhood with a wide range of income levels I appreciate the uniform policy. The principal, Mrs. Guido, is a very "firm but fair" type and the kids seem to thrive in the structured environment. The PTA is extremely strong and provides parents with one more way to participate in the education process. The school offers music, dance, arts and other creative outlets in world class fashion. The lunch menu has me jealous of my son's choices. I wish they had more opportunity for physical play, but this seems to be a universal component of schools under pressure to improve test scores. Overall, we love PS/MS 278.

Paula Hedbavny School 4

Posted April 02, 2014
My school PSMS 278 is a strongly community oriented. The arts, dance and music classes are strong part of the curriculum. Parents and students are actively involved in the school life and future. Teachers, principal and vice principal are extremely responsive to students' needs.

Posted February 12, 2014
So far so good! My daughter is in Kindergarten with Ms. Paynter....amazing teacher! I wish all teachers can be like her. My daughter is enjoying her Kindergarten experience which includes art, music, and dance. So far, I'm happy! I will review again at the end of the year. Thank you Ms. Paynter !!!! :)

Paula Hedbavny School 3

Posted December 05, 2013
A three star rating is a generous one. My son has been in here for several years and we have had our share of problems and some positive moments too. Kinder and first are definitely the strongest grades, and others need serious attention. The teachers are not engaged with the parents, and do not provide any updates of student progress other than the couple of parent teacher conferences. The school does have strong extracurricular and arts, which helps and the principal does seem to fight for as much funding as she can. There is a band of PTA parents who discredit any parents who voice concern. I have seen and heard it first hand. This school would do a lot better if the PTA and principal were more open to hearing feedback and address those concerns, rather than ignore them. They should also encourage the teachers to provide more updates to parents on student progress.

Paula Hedbavny School 3

Posted October 01, 2013
I agree. I am a parent of a second grader at the school and, while, academically things were not that bad, the teachers were not responsive and able to catch students' attention. Third grade is fun again. Hang in there.

Paula Hedbavny School 4

Posted September 08, 2013
is the best school in the area. However i will like to receive more individual information about child progress. i love the extracurricular activities dance , art, theater , book fair, bake sale family dinner walkathons many things. the only ASPECT FOR IMPROVEMENT i have about this is that sometimes teachers are not as motivated as kids k-5 need teachers to be. The only teacher i can vouch for is Ms. Painter 1st year in the school and she is awesome.... i wish she was my teacher when i was in school i wish is was the teacher for all my kids. but unfortunately my daughter is above K already. The old teachers should teach older kids... And brand new teachers that haven't been bit down by system should teach younger kids. Lets face it... if the first experience of a child is great at least the first years he will continue to be motivated. the school is clean organize , they really know how to set parents straight - if your kid is miss behaving - hey i don't mind who you know he is miss behaving and that needs to be addressed. I like discipline and in this school the security guard is sweet but he even disciplines me. is great ... :D

Posted September 04, 2013
We love PS/MS 278! I never thought my kids could get such a well rounded education from a NYC public school. But 278 has it all, strong focus on academics in addition to music, art, dance and opportunities for hands-on experiential learning. Thanks 278.

Posted June 13, 2013
This is a school where the Principal really cares about the school, teachers and students!

Posted June 06, 2013
This is one of the most improved schools in the city and the principal is extremely pro-active and very involved in the school. We have our oldest son in Kinder this year and his teacher Ms Paynter is phenomenal. We get great communication from the teacher and the school frequently. The extra curriculum (Music, art and dance) is wonderful especially with all the cuts in public school. The school got an A from the NY board of education for two years in a row and the student's ethnicity is a great mixture. The school deserve a 9 at least and this website need to update it's information by pulling the test results from the NY department of education. Great school!

Paula Hedbavny School
421 West 219th Street, New York, NY  10034
Last modified Paula Hedbavny School is a Public school that serves grades K-8. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 6 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Paula Hedbavny School Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 38 reviews. Top