/ School Profile

Posted April 17, 2014
My husband, daughter and I love Amistad and the close knit community! Kids have a strong bond since they start in Kindergarten and go up together until 8th grade. There is a nice mix of kids and the teachers are nurturing. the PTA is awesome and does a great job of communicating updates. The challenge of learning in Spanish and English is something my daughter will benefit later down the road for sure.

Posted May 22, 2012
My daughter just got accepted to Amistad and I can't wait for the overcome. Amistad was my first choice in Elementary School and I totally support the bilingual program they offer. I know my child will excel in this school and I will always support this school. Education is the key to success!!!

Posted March 05, 2012
I am an 8th grader at Amistad Dual Language School. I have attended this school since kindergarten. There is a surprising lack of bullying and discrimination between kids. There are about 45 students per grade, and in most cases, not many people come and go. Students are mixed with different students from year to year so that children get to have the chance to interact with everyone in their grade. The community is very tightly woven and because it is so small, by your senior year, you end up getting to know every one of your peers. There isn't a single kid that I haven't at least had a conversation with out of the students in our junior high. Everyone is very supportive of each other and if a new student enters the school, we try our best to make them feel welcome, within a week they feel as though they have been in Amistad for years. School is a very safe place here, and teachers, even if they have not taught you, know your name, and are willing to help with any issues you may have.The academic and art programs exceed those of other schools close by in the neighborhood, although not many have even heard of it, Amistad Dual Language School has a lot to offer.

Posted March 01, 2012
Amistad is a great school with caring, nurturing teachers, well organized class rooms. My son is in Kindergarten he absolutely loves it! He started reading the first month of school and has progressed since and has a passion for reading that is thrilling to see, he can't wait until next year when he gets to learn to read in Spanish. In Kindergaten the English students must dominate reading in English, Spanish students dominate reading in Spanish. They have a strong music class the teacher is wonderful my son plays piano and really enjoys music class! I feel very lucky to be part of this school and to know my kids will one day be bilingual and ready to face the global world!!

Posted November 22, 2011
My son is in Kindergarden at Amistad and he is excelling in many ways do to the amazing teachers' and academic program! He is starting to read and articulate himself in ways he hasn't before, he is thrilled about learning Spanish and it's pretty remarkable to hear him sing he's alphabet and numbers in Spanish. My husband and i have toured the private sector as well, Amistad really holds it'd own weight as far as academics, arts, language, amazing music program, and keeping the kids engaged. WE are very happy with our decision and look forward to the future!

Posted November 10, 2010
I had a tour today and really saw a close knit community. The children were all VERY well behaved and focused. They seemed happy and engaged. The Principal, Miriam, was very friendly and clearly felt very proud of her school. This school has a strong commitment to teaching in both English and Spanish. They have test scores to prove their method is ideal, and all of the students upon graduating have passed all exams in both English and Spanish, which again the school is very proud of. There was a great diversity present and very active parents volunteers everywhere you turned. This school did not have a CTT program which I really feel should be their next focus. They did have an inclusion classroom which looked happy and well run. Still they are missing the in-between with no CTT classrooms. This has become my first choice Charter school.

Posted May 26, 2010
The Amistad Dual language School/La Escuela Amistad de Dos Idiomas is an English/Spanish dual language instruction elementary and intermediate school (K-8) located in the Inwood section of Manhattan. The curriculum is top notch and the children are provided with a progressive and stimulating environment for learning. The school leadership is highly involved, with the principal, Miriam Pedraja-Moreno and parent coordinator Eulalia Lugo highly visable and approachable. The teaching staff is deeply committed to their student's progress, incorporating many innovative techiniques to reach the highly varied student population, which is drawn from throughout School District 6. Parent involvement is good but could improve, especially PTA meeting turn out. Overall, an outstanding educational asset for the children of District 6.

Amistad Dual Language School 0

Posted April 29, 2010
Where else can your kids learn math in Spanish, how to play the violin, catalog frogs on an overnight trip to a forestry station, and also pick up some pretty amazing bilingual jumprope songs?

Posted April 28, 2010
It's a wonderful school. It give the opportunity to English spoken students to learn Spanish as a second language. The school as a lot to offer to our children.

Amistad Dual Language School 0

Posted April 27, 2010
I'm so amaze how my first grade daughter is able to express her in both language very well. She very thrilled to go to school very day because every day she learning something new. I'm very happy with Amistad School teachers and staff.

Amistad Dual Language School
4862 Broadway, New York, NY  10034
Last modified Amistad Dual Language School is a Public school that serves grades K-8. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 5 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Amistad Dual Language School Rating: 5 out of 5 based on 42 reviews. Top