/ School Profile
New York, NY

Muscota 4

Posted September 26, 2013
my daughter is very happy at muscota. her reading and comprehension skills are very impressive, and she actually loves doing her math homework. the school isn't the most organized, but they do a lot to ensure the right teacher is paired with the right class. i definitely recommend this school if you're looking for k-5 in inwood or washington heights.

Posted June 27, 2013
Parent of a second grader. We are very happy with the school and the community. Teachers, including art, dram and music teachers, have been very committed and do fantastic work with young children.

Posted October 30, 2011
I am the proud parent of 2 Muscota kids, a 3rd grader and Kindergartener. My love for the school has grown each year. The teachers are some of the most committed individuals I have ever met and are truly committed to the social and emotional development of every child at the school. Our principal Camille Wallin, in her 2nd year at Muscota, has embraced our progressive philosophy and raised the bar for academic excellence. What makes the school really special is seeing the level of involvement of our families. Parents are encouraged and have the opportunity to contribute in meaningful ways to the school's daily life. Parents collaborate with teachers to augment classroom instruction, participate in hiring committees for new staff, and organize events like Eco-Fest and Mad Hatters Parade that embody the school philosophy. I hope that one day we can grow into a K-8 school!

Posted April 03, 2011
I have been with Muscota for 6 years now (k-5 for my first child), and look forward to a few more years ahead for my second child. The consistent thing at Muscota has always been the dedication of the faculty. We had our concerns in the administrative changes over the years, but the teachers keep the progressive approach and the traditions alive. The individual incidents cited are definately anomolies, because the children are very caring and well behaved overall. Academically, my first child fared very well and achieved high scores on the tests that were looked at for middle school. Education at Muscota is based in the idea that there are myriad areas of importance to learning, and they include more than math, reading, and writing. Muscota kids are polite, well spoken, and well mannered as a rule (with few exceptions). Our children embrace good values, and see the common traits before the differences. I feel fortunate every day that our children are schooled here.

Muscota 1

Posted September 16, 2010
Do not believe all the great review of the school.The school is no good.No supervision.My daughter was bullyed and stab with a pencil and punched by three boys.There was a gas leak I could not find my daughter when I asked the principal where can I find my daughter he said he did not know. The kids do what they want.My five year old said to me mommy we don't learn anything.I also reported this to the district they are just as useless as the school. The main focus of the school is money nothing about education and their constant war with amistad.

Posted April 24, 2010
There is such a sense of community and forward thinking here. All kids know they are equally important!

Posted January 24, 2010
Muscota has gone through more than one change of leadership in the last two years, and somehow, it has managed to maintain its commitment to progressive education, its strong sense of community, and its cheerful, nurturing atmosphere in the classroom. Credit for this goes to the teachers and many devoted parents for maintaining traditions, nurturing the children's self-confidence, and providing a warm, welcoming environment. Children learn through hands-on activities, field trips, and an interdisciplinary approach, where drama and art support the curricula in English language arts and math. Families are welcomed into the classroom regularly. My child has blossomed at Muscota, growing his capacity for independent thinking and creativity. Just listen to the 5th graders answer questions on the parent tours. Their poise sums it up!

Posted October 17, 2009
The children are so amazing. They are smart, beautiful and talented. Muscota provides the learning environment that makes the children shine.

Posted June 14, 2009

Muscota 4

Posted July 23, 2008

Muscota
4862 Broadway, New York, NY  10034
Last modified Muscota is a Public school that serves grades K-5. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 6 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Muscota Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 13 reviews. Top