Bad
Good

As a parent of a 1st grade Muscota student, we are extremely happy with Muscota. The school has rich arts programming, including dance, art, music and drama. The teachers are bright and compassionate, really caring about each student's individual needs and customize lessons accordingly. The school has done a great job evolving to the common core standards while maintaining a progressive philosophy and traditions. There is a town meeting every Monday morning where each class takes turns presenting to the entire school community and parents are always welcome. The looping structure for K-1 really helped the kids establish a foundation that enabled them to start first grade off without skipping a beat. We really enjoy the other traditions as well, including family breakfasts in the classroom twice a year, the annual Candlelight night program and the many other activities led by the very active parents association. My son is excited to go to school, which says a lot for him, and he is consistently improving in his studies and social skills. I am excited to send my daughter to Muscota next year for Kindergarten!

my daughter is very happy at muscota. her reading and comprehension skills are very impressive, and she actually loves doing her math homework. the school isn't the most organized, but they do a lot to ensure the right teacher is paired with the right class. i definitely recommend this school if you're looking for k-5 in inwood or washington heights.

Parent of a second grader. We are very happy with the school and the community. Teachers, including art, dram and music teachers, have been very committed and do fantastic work with young children.

I am the proud parent of 2 Muscota kids, a 3rd grader and Kindergartener. My love for the school has grown each year. The teachers are some of the most committed individuals I have ever met and are truly committed to the social and emotional development of every child at the school. Our principal Camille Wallin, in her 2nd year at Muscota, has embraced our progressive philosophy and raised the bar for academic excellence. What makes the school really special is seeing the level of involvement of our families. Parents are encouraged and have the opportunity to contribute in meaningful ways to the school's daily life. Parents collaborate with teachers to augment classroom instruction, participate in hiring committees for new staff, and organize events like Eco-Fest and Mad Hatters Parade that embody the school philosophy. I hope that one day we can grow into a K-8 school!

I have been with Muscota for 6 years now (k-5 for my first child), and look forward to a few more years ahead for my second child. The consistent thing at Muscota has always been the dedication of the faculty. We had our concerns in the administrative changes over the years, but the teachers keep the progressive approach and the traditions alive. The individual incidents cited are definately anomolies, because the children are very caring and well behaved overall. Academically, my first child fared very well and achieved high scores on the tests that were looked at for middle school. Education at Muscota is based in the idea that there are myriad areas of importance to learning, and they include more than math, reading, and writing. Muscota kids are polite, well spoken, and well mannered as a rule (with few exceptions). Our children embrace good values, and see the common traits before the differences. I feel fortunate every day that our children are schooled here.

Do not believe all the great review of the school.The school is no good.No supervision.My daughter was bullyed and stab with a pencil and punched by three boys.There was a gas leak I could not find my daughter when I asked the principal where can I find my daughter he said he did not know. The kids do what they want.My five year old said to me mommy we don't learn anything.I also reported this to the district they are just as useless as the school. The main focus of the school is money nothing about education and their constant war with amistad.

There is such a sense of community and forward thinking here. All kids know they are equally important!

Muscota has gone through more than one change of leadership in the last two years, and somehow, it has managed to maintain its commitment to progressive education, its strong sense of community, and its cheerful, nurturing atmosphere in the classroom. Credit for this goes to the teachers and many devoted parents for maintaining traditions, nurturing the children's self-confidence, and providing a warm, welcoming environment. Children learn through hands-on activities, field trips, and an interdisciplinary approach, where drama and art support the curricula in English language arts and math. Families are welcomed into the classroom regularly. My child has blossomed at Muscota, growing his capacity for independent thinking and creativity. Just listen to the 5th graders answer questions on the parent tours. Their poise sums it up!

The children are so amazing. They are smart, beautiful and talented. Muscota provides the learning environment that makes the children shine.

As a parent of a 3rd grader at Muscota I have been very pleased with the high quality of education that my daughter has received. The teachers and staff are knowledgeable, attentive, and intuitive. My daughter is expected to not only learn the material presented by her teachers but also encouraged and supported in exploring and mastering areas that are of interest to her. I have found her level of understanding and ability to inquire is well beyond her years. I thank the schools' progressive philosophy for that. In a time where students are often simply seen as numbers on a data sheet, I am always amazed at everyone's knowledge of my child's individual learning abilities and of her personality traits. I have always found the staff and administration open and willing to discuss my child and her performance in school. Muscota is truly a community of learners.

Last modified Muscota is a Public school that serves grades K-5. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 8 out of 10 based on academic quality.