/ School Profile
New York, NY

Posted March 12, 2015
As a former student of both Leman and Claremont, let me strongly advise you never to send your child there. When I started off as a freshman, the school was still Claremont. It was so wonderful. Much more creative, supportive environment, and I felt they really valued each and every student. When it changed to Leman, half of my favorite teachers left. It became this pressure-cooker, hellish environment. The workload was absurd, teachers were rude, and it was very hard to feel supported and cared for. I was struggling with lgbt related issues, and was constantly bullied, and never got any help from anyone there. I eventually was expelled because I failed my chemistry class by 3 points. My parents were actually happy about this, because of how unhappy I was. I had one of the worst experiences of my life at Leman. They try to portray themselves as this amazing place, but once you're there it is anything but. Trust me.

Posted January 20, 2015
We have two children at Leman, and have been in the school for about five years. The school is tremendous and we couldn't be happier. We had a lot of choice, and chose Leman for these reasons- student / teacher ratio, strong, well-rounded and dedicated teachers, an international community and a rigorous curriculum. As other reviewers note, the school has changed a lot in the last five years- while change isn't a lot of fun, it's necessary- and the changes made have been for the best.

Posted November 17, 2014
I can honestly say as a student that the experience here is lacking. There is absolutely no support, and is all about appearance as they leech every last penny out of your wallet. Teachers give no help for their students. I thought that the small class size would help me excel, however it did the opposite. The teachers have been abusive to their students, and lose their tempers at students. I am constantly stressed out because the teachers they will not allow you to voice your concerns. The assistant head is very harrasive, and does not support you whatsoever. This school should not be in the top 500 private schools, and deserves to be investigated by the DOE

Posted October 13, 2014
As a parent for the last 5 years, I have seen much change at Leman, some good and some bad. The Head of Lower School and Assistant Head of Lower School are great. The US head is unproven after replacing a disastrous US head last year. The change at Leman continues to occur at a rapid pace and not necessarily for the better. The change and there is a lot of it, seems to be for the short term rather than the long term viability and success of the school and its students. I assume this is because the owners of this For-Profit school want to see a return on investment. As a for-profit school with headquarters and managers in the mid-west, it is managed from afar more like a business than a place of learning.
8 people found this helpful

Posted October 12, 2014
Leman Manhattan is a wonderful school. From the time you enter the building, the head of the school, administration, teachers and even the security guards are all welcoming. It is a very rigorous school, and keeps the students engaged and challenged at all times. Moreover, if you miss a few days of school, all the lessons and homework is on Skyward. Teachers are always willing to help you after school, if you need any extra help. Also, if you ever have any questions and concerns, the teachers respond very promptly. I highly recommend this school.

Posted October 05, 2014
This is a good school that gets stronger with each passing year. Yes, the school is young and because of this new structures continue to be put in place. However, these are solid structures that are elevating the quality of the school at a rapid pace. The curricular and extra-curricular programs are outstanding, as is the faculty & staff. This school is far superior than it was years ago. The positive change in the Upper School is particularly impressive.

Posted September 02, 2014
Leman Manhattan fosters an excellent learning environment for students in the lower school. The teachers instill confidence and a love of learning that you do not see much in schools today with the intense focus on test scores. Students are introduced to music theory, a musical instrument (the violin) and a foreign language at a young age. They have swim lessons as part of PE. All the while maintaining a focus on academics. The lower school is excellent and the students are happy.

Posted July 28, 2014
Not sure what to think about the retention of administrators and faculty. I have heard there were 29 of 103 staff leaving over the summer. Either they are hiring the wrong people or educators don't like the way the school is being operated. Scary for our kids.
9 people found this helpful

Posted May 27, 2014
A school for the one percent with a few student from other backgrounds thrown in for good measure. The school head is wildly incompetent.
6 people found this helpful

Posted May 11, 2014
As far as I'm concerned this whole place is a sham. The school is more focused on creating "Traditions" after less than three years of operation and appearing to be a wonderful learning institution than actually making sure the students are learning. Core curriculum is severely lacking. The school charges absolutely outrageous amounts for some of the worst services I've ever seen. Parents' concerns are almost never addressed and I've seen several kids flunk out or otherwise fail because of lack of support and zero accountability. I cannot wait until this year ends.
6 people found this helpful

Leman Manhattan Preparatory School
41 Broad St, New York, NY  10004
Last modified Leman Manhattan Preparatory School is a Private school that serves grades PK-12
Leman Manhattan Preparatory School Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 41 reviews. Top