PK-12|Private

Bad
Good

Currently, most people answered Agree (3 responses)
Currently, most people answered Agree (2 responses)
Currently, most people answered Strongly agree (2 responses)

I have had my two kids at Leman from pre k and now into 6th grade and I can honestly say this school is probably among the best in the city. There is a true sense of community, a commitment to the happiness and success of the students and some of the best facilities anywhere. Yes there has been a lot of change, yes there have been ups and downs but, as a new school change is expected and in this instance, has been fantastic. We commute to the school and I have asked both kids if they want to change schools so as to ease the burden of the commute and neither of them would dare let me enroll them somewhere else. Leman's focus on the arts, community, strong international focus most importantly the quality of learning is helping to mold my children into becoming excellent human beings. We couldn't be happier.

Develops character: Strongly agree

They have a no bullying program. In kindergarten, the teachers teach lessons on respecting ones space and provide techniques to reenforce positive self image and having confidence.

The school administration and teachers are fantastic. Although it's a private school in a big city, you feel as though you are part of a small community/school that knows your child's interests/needs academically and emotionally. Very satisfied with all aspects of school.

As a former student of both Leman and Claremont, let me strongly advise you never to send your child there. When I started off as a freshman, the school was still Claremont. It was so wonderful. Much more creative, supportive environment, and I felt they really valued each and every student. When it changed to Leman, half of my favorite teachers left. It became this pressure-cooker, hellish environment. The workload was absurd, teachers were rude, and it was very hard to feel supported and cared for. I was struggling with lgbt related issues, and was constantly bullied, and never got any help from anyone there. I eventually was expelled because I failed my chemistry class by 3 points. My parents were actually happy about this, because of how unhappy I was. I had one of the worst experiences of my life at Leman. They try to portray themselves as this amazing place, but once you're there it is anything but. Trust me.

We have two children at Leman, and have been in the school for about five years. The school is tremendous and we couldn't be happier. We had a lot of choice, and chose Leman for these reasons- student / teacher ratio, strong, well-rounded and dedicated teachers, an international community and a rigorous curriculum. As other reviewers note, the school has changed a lot in the last five years- while change isn't a lot of fun, it's necessary- and the changes made have been for the best.

I can honestly say as a student that the experience here is lacking. There is absolutely no support, and is all about appearance as they leech every last penny out of your wallet. Teachers give no help for their students. I thought that the small class size would help me excel, however it did the opposite. The teachers have been abusive to their students, and lose their tempers at students. I am constantly stressed out because the teachers they will not allow you to voice your concerns. The assistant head is very harrasive, and does not support you whatsoever. This school should not be in the top 500 private schools, and deserves to be investigated by the DOE

As a parent for the last 5 years, I have seen much change at Leman, some good and some bad. The Head of Lower School and Assistant Head of Lower School are great. The US head is unproven after replacing a disastrous US head last year. The change at Leman continues to occur at a rapid pace and not necessarily for the better. The change and there is a lot of it, seems to be for the short term rather than the long term viability and success of the school and its students. I assume this is because the owners of this For-Profit school want to see a return on investment. As a for-profit school with headquarters and managers in the mid-west, it is managed from afar more like a business than a place of learning.

Leman Manhattan is a wonderful school. From the time you enter the building, the head of the school, administration, teachers and even the security guards are all welcoming. It is a very rigorous school, and keeps the students engaged and challenged at all times. Moreover, if you miss a few days of school, all the lessons and homework is on Skyward. Teachers are always willing to help you after school, if you need any extra help. Also, if you ever have any questions and concerns, the teachers respond very promptly. I highly recommend this school.

This is a good school that gets stronger with each passing year. Yes, the school is young and because of this new structures continue to be put in place. However, these are solid structures that are elevating the quality of the school at a rapid pace. The curricular and extra-curricular programs are outstanding, as is the faculty & staff. This school is far superior than it was years ago. The positive change in the Upper School is particularly impressive.

Leman Manhattan fosters an excellent learning environment for students in the lower school. The teachers instill confidence and a love of learning that you do not see much in schools today with the intense focus on test scores. Students are introduced to music theory, a musical instrument (the violin) and a foreign language at a young age. They have swim lessons as part of PE. All the while maintaining a focus on academics. The lower school is excellent and the students are happy.

Last modified Leman Manhattan Preparatory School is a Private school that serves grades PK-12