1-8|Private

Bad
Good

As a 10th grader currently on the honor roll going on to 11th in the fall next year, I can confidently say that no student will ever come out of Harlem Academy a failure. Before becoming a student at HA, I did not know what it was like to be in a community where people were actually committed to my education100%. To be honest, Mr. Dotoli, the school principal, changed the course of my life more than I can say with the less than seven hundred and fifty characters I have left to type this review. It was through Mr. Dotoli, and his highly dedicated staff, that I made the connections that I have now. I am a successful student (If I do say so myself), and every time someone asks me how I got to be where I am with my dedication to my school life and future, I tell them that Harlem Academy swooped in on my life, gave me a desk and a pencil, and proceeded to teach me how to write for myself a life that is filled with so much more possibility than I ever thought possible. I love that school, and parents only do their children injustice by not sending them there.

The vast majority of children who live in Harlem don't get the education that they deserve. Harlem Academy is trying to offer that opportunity by establishing a school that challenges, guides, and supports them to their full academic potential and sets the foundation for long-term academic and life success. Harlem Academy works to accomplish this by partnering with their students' families to prepare each of them to enter and thrive at a top secondary school. Harlem Academy's curriculum includes more than five hours of academic instruction each day in addition to visual and performing arts, athletics, independent reading, and extensive opportunities to explore the cultural resources of New York. Students are admitted to the school based on criteria of family partnership, engagement in the learning process, and academic potential. Every enrolling family signs a contract stating their financial and personal investment in their child's education, and no student is ever turned away for financial reasons.

Harlem Academy is not just a amazing school it's also a family partnership. My son loves going to school and looks forward to attending everyday. The small classroom setting is a plus the children get the individualized attention they need. The principal is there every morgning at 7:30am to greet everyone as you get to school. The extended cirriculum makes it easier on a working parent the school hours are 7:30am to 6:00pm. Tution is on a sliding scale which also makes a big difference.

Harlem Academy is a great school. It has provided many support for my first grader. The class rooms are small and have the supprot of two teachers. Extended hours with no extra money.LOVE IT.

Harlem Academy is a wonderful school. Tuition is on a sliding scale, but the level of education is top notch. My son is in second grade doing third grade level work. Last year, his class read a book I didn't read until I was 10. The school has extended hours, so there's no need to pay for separate day care. Parent involvement isn't just encouraged, it's required, and the students feel a sense of ownership of the school. When one of us stays after school for a meeting, my son refuses to let the other parent take him home before the meeting is finished.

Harlem Academy is the best school that a parent could ask for. My son is excited to go to school everyday and is never ready to leave at dismissal time. There are 11 children and two teachers in his class. This small school, challenging curriculum and excellent staff makes our whole family feel at home. We all participate in volunteer activities, school trips & after school trips (ice skating), projects & performances, family game night, a cookbook with recipes from families and staff, etc. My younger son can't wait for his opportunity to join the Harlem Academy family. We all love this school and would recommend it to anyone.

Several years ago I was searching for an exceptional school for my daughter, when I learned about Harlem Academy (HA). HA offers everything I expect from a school, small class room sizes, a challenging curriculum, an extended day program, and a caring professional staff. HA is a unique and special school. I am very pleased with HA's development, and to be part of it.

There are so many great thing about HA. Small class sizes 11-16 students. Two teachers per class. Extended hours. Children arrive a s early as 7:30 am and can be picked up until 5:45pm. Rigorous academics,and a professional staff. You can come and have lunch with your child or read a book to the class. You can attend school field trips and even interview new teachers. Tuition is on a sliding scale and very affordable. arent partnership is encouraged. I love the school. You have to come and see it for yourself. You will be a beliver.

Harlem Academy is a great school. The class sizes are small (15-17 in a class) and parent involvement is encouraged and valued. I am very pleased with my child's academic progress. As a new school, there are some minor things that can use a little work. Because a new grade is added every year, there are always new teachers that need to get used to the school. I wish there was a food program, so I didn't have to pack lunch everyday. Otherwise my child and I love the school- I'm proud to be a part of it.

I am a Harlem Academy parent, and I am especially grateful for this school. My daughter has the potential to be a great student but the stresses of life in an inner city community does take it's toll but the staff @HA are very patient with my daughter. This school has a very serious goal for educational excellence but they are also family oriented and the environment is warm and inviting. I would recommend this school to any parent who cares about their child's education as I have to many of my friends. I would also mention this school's tuition's policy. Overall this school is worth attending.

Last modified Harlem Academy is a Private school that serves grades 1-8