Posted April 04, 2014
My son attends this school now and it's definitely a mixed bag in terms of experience. He is definitely learning a lot and I consider the longer hours a good thing - you can't master anything without spending adequate time on it. However, the school seems overly stringent on rules and infractions to the point where my kid is afraid to tell his teacher anything for fear of incurring an infraction. They seem more focused on keeping control of students and watching who follows the rules than encouraging curiosity and imagination. While there is some communication the teacher (I mostly get calls for [questionable] "infractions"), I definitely don't feel like there is any partnership in trying to do what's best for the kids. It seems like communication for the purpose of keeping kids 'in line'. I ask my son every day how school was and his answer is always to tell me how many infractions he incurred that day. And I've heard other kids do the same in the playground. That's sad.

Success Academy Harlem 1 1

Posted February 06, 2014
homeroom teacher still gave him a plain F for the entire semester; there were no phone calls to warn me about his performance, nor was I ever told of any trouble when I would ask his HR teacher if all was well. Also, for the entire semester, scholars were not given any homework! Now, my boy is bright and he got great scores in all of the other classes, he had NEVER gotten an F. Insulted (an F is just abusive), I transferred him to a public school and now he is the best student in his class! I think there is a very high chance this school is guilty of exploitation and that it makes makes unreasonable demands of children which is grounds for child abuse. It looks pretty but it's rotten at the core.

Posted September 08, 2013
My son went to this school and learned a great deal of things but sadly I had to remove him because he was being bullied. He will get teased for being hispanic, pushed around, personal belongings stolen and thrown in the garbage.These people really didn't care about what was going on with my child. The principal was always hiding in her office in some "meeting". After showing proof that my son was being bullied they didn't care enough to remove the bully from the school or even from my sons class. Please visit the school and interview a few parents before considering this school for your child.

Posted December 18, 2012
I know with all things there are good and bad. This school (hsa1)has proven true to this fact. While the curriculum is on point there are other aspects of the school culture to be frowned upon. If you are considering any success academies do your homework!

Success Academy Harlem 1 3

Posted October 20, 2012
run by a politician who is lookng to make a name for herself and run for mayor

Success Academy Harlem 1 1

Posted June 12, 2012
The luck of the draw. Overall HSA has a great educational program and some really good teachers (Mr. Y, Ms. Dugan, Mr. Inslee, Coach Collier, Ms. Bezner, Ms. O). Unfortunately, like most schools HSA 1 aslo has some horrible teachers. Not just horrible in the sense that they do a poor job of imparting knowledge; but horrible in terms of classroom management and communicating with parents. I would highly recommend you make an unplanned visit to the school and see for yourself. To be fair, my son's first grade experience at HSA1 was great, but his second grade experience left much to be desired. On balance, if I had it to do over I probably would not choose HSA 1 and indeed we are considering private school as an alternative to sending him back for more of the same next year. It may take more work on your part at home to replicate the academic achievement, but the are gifted and talented programs throughout the city and you will be sparing your child from being bullied, robbed, degraded and other horrible experiences no child should experience. Complaining to the teachers or administration will only waste your time and make things worse.

Success Academy Harlem 1 4

Posted March 02, 2012
My neice has atend this school since the 1st grade. She was pick by lottory. This is a wonderful school with a great core values and very invovled with the children. Thye have a very high academic standard that they hold the students and parents accountable for. if my children where smaller this would have been one of the schools that i would have definitely been proud to apply for.

Posted June 28, 2011
Harlem Success Academy 1 is truly a school to be emulated. To see that it already has been proves that more need to be created. The teacher, parent and children are all held accountable to their part in process. There are 4 schools in Manhattan, 2 in the Bronx and I believe 2 in Brooklyn. This is proof that the methods and materials used is working. Harlem Success Acadmey 1 should be honored for leading the way on how our children should be taught. Harlem Success stand out as a school all its own. The teachers are well trained and truly go above and beyond your expectation. For a public school, the teaching, guidance and encouragement my child receives is truly a blessing. My son already knows and is preparing himself for his graduation. He know that he is part of the graduating Class of 2024!

Posted November 01, 2010
Simply becuase they care. I get a phone call at least once per week telling me what a good job my daughter is doing. I love this school, kids are there focus.

Posted October 04, 2010
My daughter is in HSA3 and is the best thing i did. This school worked hard with my daughter on her reading. I'm very happy with this school. It's the best thing that ever happend in harlem....5***** for HSA3 next stop is college....

Success Academy Harlem 1
34 W 118th St-2nd Fl, New York, NY  10026
Last modified Success Academy Harlem 1 is a Charter school that serves grades K-6. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 10 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Success Academy Harlem 1 Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 32 reviews. Top