PK-8|Private

Bad
Good

There is not one thing this school gets right. An educational scam of the highest order. Avoid this sinking ship at all costs.

My children have thrived here. The combination of International Baccalaureate and English National Curriculum is stellar - when a 7-year old is using the word "diminutive" you have to figure they're doing something right. The environment is disciplined and nurturing. The class sizes are excellent. As someone who has chaperoned the students on field trips, I get comments from people all the time on how well-behaved they are. I am jealous of the education they're getting. Every graduating students head off from BISNY to some of the top private and public high schools in the city. Hopefully that trend will continue when it's time for my kids to find a high school. As with any private school in NYC, you get your share of hands-on parents and parents who are too privileged/busy to care (or who expect special treatment for their child). Ignore those folk and engage with the hands-on crowd to make the most out of it. My kids have been attending for about 8 years total.

Excellent teachers, great community. The class sizes are small, enabling individualized learning plans and goals for each student. It is a uniform school, and creativity and the arts are emphasized and celebrated. My daughter loves the school, and so do we.

Small class sizes, beautiful classes and location for a New York school. Teachers are kind to the children, but still expect a high level of work. I think it's emotionally smart that they do more fun subjects on Mondays so that kids love going to school on Mondays. The more demanding subjects they have on Fridays. There is plenty of homework, but usually not on weekends. There is a database where you get feedback about your child in the form of emails. What's great is that they also write you an email when your child has done something positive. The curriculum is IB and English National Curriculum together, which is great for acceptance to schools in both the US and Europe. Kids are less entrenched in a superficial teenage culture like in other schools.

My son has been going to BISNY for the last 2 years, since he was 5, and we absolutely love it. It follows the IB methodology which we like. Academically and otherwise it's a good place to be! The school is a small, warm community with a good mix of expats and locals. For people coming from abroad, as we did, it's a boon as you make friends and learn you way around NYC relatively quickly and smoothly. Highly recommend.

I attended BIS-NY (I'm an alumna), and I absolutely loved it there. I'm not an athletic child, so I didn't enjoy swimming or running miles on Friday, but the academics and overall arts were extraordinary. I felt as if almost every teacher put in their best efforts to ensure that me and the rest of my classmates received the best education, as well as understand ourselves better as learners. I must say, however, the student to teacher ratio is a bit low. Whilst a standard private school would have about 15 to a teacher, here, there were about 6-7, and that number DECREASED as the years went up. (In my class, there were 4). I do remember not liking it so much while I was there, but when I graduated and went to high school, every day I thought about how I almost took BIS-NY for granted! Wonderful school, and I hope they open a bigger one soon!

My children have really enjoyed this school. Very good expectations and high academic standards both in and outside the classroom.. A real gem!

My children have thrived at this school. They actually love going. They're engaged, they're challenged. I'm very impressed with what they're learning and the level they're at with regard to reading and math. We're on our third year there. Small class size. Excellent teachers. Very hands on and involved. I love the British/International Baccalaureate approach -- which is not only superior to anything we'd come across in the past, but also includes requiring children to *behave*. This school has rules, and kids are expected to obey them. Clearly some parents have issues with that as evidenced by some of the one-star reviews I've seen here. My guess is those are the parents whose kids are beyond reproach and who believe that paying a hefty tuition entitles them to special privileges when it comes to discipline. Not so here, and I love that fact.

My child won't be coming back to this school next year. We should have known better, if we wanted a real-British Education, we should have sent our child to a school in Great-Britian. The teachers are rude, the Headmaster does not value parents opinions; if you complain about the teachers, he will immediately look as if you are causing trouble... Not impress one bit.

We have recently enrolled our son in BISNY and have had nothing but positive experiences to date. Our interactions with the teachers and staff have been extremely positive and have demonstrated a committed and thoughtful understanding of our son. Their accessiblity and communication with us has been exemplary. We have generally found that the cirriculum has lived up to our expectations and have been very pleased with everything we have seen and observed about the school- with one month under our belts!

Last modified British International School of NY is a Private school that serves grades PK-8