/ School Profile

The Ideal School & Academy 4

Posted April 22, 2015
I am very proud of the transition my daughter is making in the school. In the 7 months my daughter has made tremendous gains. I find the previous negative reviews offensive. My daughter does not have an IEP and I don't consider her a neurotypical learner. She has her strengths&weaknesses and IDEAL has helped her put things in prospective. She is learning a great deal. As far as the financial aspect of attending the school, parents are asked to contribute with TIme,Talent or Treasure. Some of us who may not be blessed with money do support the school through volunteerism which is also valuable. This is a learning community growing stronger every year and people, so explore the school first hand. No one told me to do this. I just get sick of people using social media as a platform to discredit this school. These are the same comments I read when I was applying & I almost didnt enroll my daughter because of them. "True inclusion" is revolutionary concept that no other independent school will practice and no public school can master. See for yourself. Walk into IDEAL,it is a microcosm of NYC with the right supports. Applicant with concerns?Come during dismissal and talk to folks.

Posted February 26, 2015
My son is a very bright boy with mild sensory issues in Kindergarten. We are very happy with the school. In addition to being taught reading, writing, math and science, he is learning music theory, Spanish, Mandarin and American Sign Language, chess and yoga, art and gym. He receives accelerated instruction in areas in which he is advanced and support where he has challenges. The classrooms are small and have high quality teachers so there is a great deal of individualized attention. All of the children gain a high degree of emotional intelligence through the school's focus on social and emotional education; over time they learn to express their emotions and find creative and effective ways to solve interpersonal problems. There is a clear commitment to social justice and my son is learning how to be an "upstander," someone who speaks up and acts when he or she sees injustice. The families at Ideal are very diverse in terms of race, class, sexual orientation... and are very warm and supportive of one another. I have never seen a school that has successfully integrated so much under one roof. We feel very fortunate to be a part of the Ideal Community.

Posted January 25, 2015
It troubles me to see that whenever any parent writes an honest assessment of the school on this site it is almost immediately followed one or more very generic, overly positive reviews. Having been one of the special needs turn- over families, I can attest that most of the negative statements are indeed true. If you are a prospective family with a special needs child, you should know that Ideal school administrators watch this site frequently, and I, as well as other turn-over parents suspect workers from the school pose as parents and write overly positive reviews to overshadow the negative ones. Based on our experience and that of other families of special needs kids, I do not recommend this school if your child has special needs and urge you to be skeptical of overly positive reviews for this school on this site. I wish we had taken more seriously the negative statements before we wasted time and money on this school.

Posted November 28, 2014
I am happy to see this school grow and expand. They have been challenging my children in every grade over the last 5 years. I really like the arts, dance, and focus on whole child. They will be adding a high school next year and now have 2 buildings. I hear great things from parents in the middle school - great teachers, International Baccalaureate Diploma expected for high school graduates. They start technology in the early grades and, from what I see, they really have kids doing hands-on challenging work. LOVE the teachers and focus on social justice curriculum.

Posted November 25, 2014
While reading the previous reviews of the IDEAL School, I have noticed that both the positive and negative aspects of the school are true to an extent. Unfortunately, the negatives definitely outweigh the positives here. The turnover rate for both students AND teachers is exceptionally high. The school has recently decided to move to a building that is an accessible space for students with physical limitations (ie. elevator, PT gym, handicapped bathrooms), which is wonderful for those in need. However, the school lacks teachers and staff with remotely enough training to effectively work with this population. When my child attended the school there was not even a school nurse, which I found quite troubling (especially due to all the very specific needs of IDEAL's students). While it sometimes seems as if there are few options for students with significant special needs, I would recommend looking elsewhere before spending a great deal of money on IDEAL.

Posted October 29, 2014
I can't say enough good things about IDEAL. Our son is in the middle school and thriving. The teachers are exemplary, the school is visionary, and the education is topnotch for our very bright child. He is taught not only academics but also ethics, compassion, and how to be a good, decent, compassionate person. The school is insulated from the competitiveness and entitlement of many NYC privates, but still provides first-rate learning. We plan to keep him in the school through high school and we know that he will be well prepared for the demands of college. A rare treasure in NYC. See it for yourself and you will agree!

Posted October 24, 2014
Ideal School is a remarkable place that is a social experiment as well as a fabulous setting to learn. It is the only inclusive independent school in Manhattan and, as such, has something for almost everyone. For children with special needs (my son), he has had the opportunity to learn from typical peers. I am equally impressed by what the typical kids get out of being in a setting where they learn appreciation and respect for those who are different. Since each child's learning is individualized, all students at the school are working at a level where they are challenged but also have opportunities to succeed. The teachers we've had are amazing: patient, resourceful, talented, creative and the ratio of children to staff is almost 2:1 so there is always somebody to work with and look out for your child. It is untrue that Ideal has a higher-than-average turnover or that the staff is unhappy. Teachers we know report being gratified by the high quality of faculty development and warm community. Families at the school are friendly and welcoming, and-in keeping of school philosophy-very accepting of differences in ability and behavior. We could not find a better school for our son.

Posted October 01, 2014
We have had our child at IDEAL for six years and couldn't be happier. It's everything we could have asked and more as an educational institution and second home for our child. Our child is gifted, but has mild learning differences and sensory issues, and the school has been great at differentiating for him, allowing him to bloom in areas of strength, and supporting him in his areas of weakness. Some of the most extraordinary individuals I've ever met teach at the school and they are fantastic mentors and role models as well as great teachers. The school educates the whole child and does a wonderful job of teaching not only academics but also ethics, social skills, and life skills. The student body is diverse- not only racially/ethnically but also socio-economically- and there isn't an ounce of snootiness or exclusiveness here. The school has a warm, welcoming, friendly vibe while still being rigorous and setting high expectations for its students. It's structured but nurturing, and has a wealth of great afterschool options. The PE program is topnotch, as are music, art, & dance. A strong drama program is the only thing missing, but they are working to add it. A GEM!

Posted October 01, 2014
Our child (with special needs) has been at IDEAL school almost from the beginning. It is a relatively new school and continues to get better each year. We cannot imagine a better program for our child. HIs curriculum is individualized, the teachers are nurturing yet still challenge him appropriately, the children are kind and completely accepting of one another. We've had fantastic teachers and great experiences with the administration. We have met a few disgruntled parents like the ones below over the years who, in our opinion, seemed to have completely unrealistic expectations of any school, but, fortunately, those parents have left! That is the only so-called "bleeding" we've noticed. It is a joyous place where the kids love learning.

Posted September 17, 2014
Our child attended IDEAL because of developmental challenges, though none related to learning. Ideal claims differentiated instruction but we saw no evidence of this for our child. Turnover among teachers is huge and the school lacks the admin to ensure even instruction quality. While some faculty are AMAZING! others are surprisingly inept. Communication among parents, teachers and administrators is severely lacking. Our child was in the Zenith program (which costs $58K a year) and with this the school claims to offer ongoing assessment. After receiving little feedback for months, our inquiries regarding our child's progress or even basic questions about curriculum were either ignored or met with a surprising hostility for having persistently asked for information. Towards the end of the school year, feedback finally revealed that our child had regressed academically during the year, and shocking, the teachers blamed our child's regression on the very developmental issues that brought us to the school to begin with. One reviewer said the school bleeds special needs kids sadly, we know first hand why. We withdrew our child after one year.
5 people found this helpful

The Ideal School & Academy
314 West 91st Street, New York, NY  10024
Last modified The Ideal School & Academy is a Private school that serves grades K-12
The Ideal School & Academy Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 25 reviews. Top