/ School Profile

Posted October 24, 2014
My son, husband and I are still in disbelief, 1 1/2 years since enrollment, that such public schools exist in NYC. The teachers he had so far are exceptional educators who inspire the kids to be active learners and kind community members. Parents have historically been very involved in the school decisions and operations. The new principal seems to be a highly motivated, strong, and responsive leader. Our kid learns Mandarin, Spanish, and takes music and dance classes! He now reads well above grade level and, most importantly, is genuinely curious and excited about learning. Believe me, this is a very different picture from the previous (private) school. The only negative about HHS: it does not extend to middle school. But we are working on it....

Posted September 15, 2014
I have 2 children at Hamilton Heights one in the 4th grade and the other in 1st. I absolutely love the school, the teachers are great, the staff is wonderful. One of the reasons why I chose this school was because of its diverse community and small class size. I am an active parent I volunteer and I am a class parent. The curriculum is great love that children are learning mandarin and spanish. They never want to leave school. That shows that they trust and enjoy being at school. We are really a family and I can't wait to see what the future has to offer.

Posted July 21, 2014
As a teacher at PS 368 I am so proud to say I work here. I rated our school 4 stars out of 5 only because I know we are going to continue to grow in so many exciting ways in the coming years. I have worked at three different schools in New York City and visited many others all across the country, and the diversity of HHS's community and its commitment to family engagement is unparalleled. School staff, families and students are all dedicated to lifelong learning and making education a powerful and relevant experience for all children in the building. Very excited to be a part of the HHS school community.

Posted April 16, 2014
HHS is a school where kids are engaged, teachers are innovative, and parents are welcome! We've been there for 3 years and it's truly a "community of learners" like their motto says. I love the way the school not only encourages individual achievement but also helping others in your class, grade, school and even community. Academically, it's not a one-size-fits-all pedagogy. The teachers practice many progressive techniques like morning meetings (where students share what's happening in their lives) and project based learning. But they really seem to try to figure out what each individual child needs to succeed. In addition, there is a full time Music Teacher, Dance Teacher, AND Science Teacher with dedicated classrooms for all three! Even outside of class there are many things that make HHS a special place such as the weekly sing-a-long where the whole school gets together to sing, share news, and recognize birthdays for the week and community service week where the kids collect money and good for local charities they decide chose together. All in all HHS is a wonderful place to send a kid where they will not only get great academics, but also learn to be an engaged citizen.

Posted April 09, 2014
Hamilton Heights has such an amazing staff plus parents--everyone is on board to make this an amazing school.

Posted April 05, 2014
So far so good for my child, My son has been learnig a lot in this school and he likes it .

Posted April 05, 2014
This school embraces the individuality of its students and enhances children's creativity while encouraging them to aspire to their full potential.

Posted April 03, 2014
This is a small progressive school in Harlem with a very diverse socio-economic constituency. The teachers are amazing and very dedicated. The school has science, dance and music teachers, and the parents are currently raising money to bring an art program to the school. There is a strong sense of community, due to the small size of the school. Everybody knows everybody else, and parents are very involved. My daughter is in K and she is basically reading and writing by now, but at no time we felt that she was being "pressured" to learn. It all arose "naturally" in the classroom thanks to the amazing work of her teacher. Kids are well behaved, there are very few discipline issues at the school. I went to a ice skating field trip last month where the entire school took the subway down to Central Park and everything went smoothly -- the kids were just wonderful, and not because they were overly controlled by their teachers but simply because they seem to know the difference between good and bad behavior. This school is not for everybody -- you need to be on board with a progressive "education philosophy". But other than that, I strongly recommend it.

Posted April 03, 2014
The thing I found most striking upon my first visit to Hamilton Heights and still today as my daughter is finishing her first year of Kindergarten is that the children are happy, comfortable and engaged. They truly thrive. Hamilton Heights teachers are wonderful, progressive, and truly enjoy their work. There is enormous parent participation in bettering areas where we are weak.. as I write a group of parents are organizing a grassroots fundraiser for a dedicated, year round art teacher. There is a great strength in the community and kinship of this school. I am proud that our family is a part of it.

Posted April 03, 2014
This small, alternative public school has a terrific culture of community and learning. The parents are active, the administration is dynamic, and the teachers are first rate across the board. People are smiling in the classrooms and hallways, and everyone is civil and kind. Everyone involved in the school feels a sense of ownership and responsibility, and engages accordingly. It's economically and culturally diverse, which makes it welcoming and exciting. My daughter loves going to school here.

Hamilton Heights School
1750 Amsterdam Ave, New York, NY  10031
Last modified Hamilton Heights School is a Public school that serves grades K-5. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 4 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Hamilton Heights School Rating: 5 out of 5 based on 15 reviews. Top