Bad
Good

Posted April 19, 2011
I'm a former school 5 student who left in 2002. I absolutely adored my principal (Mr. Kriss) and found all my teachers to be incredible. They all seemed capable of tailoring activities to the capabilities of the students and never permitted students to be excluded or neglected. I always had individual attention from my teachers and they were quick to recognize my strengths and give me additional ideas for how to develop skills outside of the classroom. While it may seem irrelevant to some, the school's capability to handle the 9/11 attacks and attempt to have such young children understand them in retrospect amazes me. The level of respect shown (all while remaining age appropriate and unbiased) was beyond what I could have expected. It might seem strange that that situation in particular stood out to me but to me it shows just how capable the school is of understanding its students.

School 5 3

Posted January 17, 2009
Although I am confident my daughter is doing 'okay' in school. We have such a large amount of students in the class - it is impossible for a teacher to be able to help each child. We have 25+ kids in our class with ONE teacher. Each year the parents together would form a lunch club - whereas the kids could sign up for activities during the specified lunch times.OUr past principal Mr. Kriss who was personable allowed it. currently we have the past Ast Principal from sch. 2 & she has stopped it. The children are dissapointed as I am and I believe that since she will be leaving AGAIN in June - she doesn't really care . At lunch how now they will just sit in the auditorium and watch the same movie each day - I do hope the Principal watches the movie each day with them.

Posted May 02, 2007
I love this school. The teachers are fantastic. They stay on top of the kids so that each child will have a great learning experience. They genuinely care about each student. There is great parent involvement also. The principal, Mr. Kris, is great too. Both of my children have had a great experience at School 5.

Posted October 17, 2005
Our school is fantastic. Great teachers, great principal, solid curriculum and the students enjoy all the extras, clubs, extra help, band, music, art, computer labs, special education support services, a family oriented, friendly PTA that is very involved in the students school experience. A true gem.

School 5 4

Posted April 25, 2005
I am truely happy with the academic curricular for my first grader. The teachers show attentitive needs to the children. School also offers various programs for music, art, sports, and endless extra curricular opportunities for the children after school. What I also enjoy is having the parents be involved in the schools commitment to offer volunteer envolvement from the parents. We have a attentitive PTA where the members think of every childs opportunity.

School 5
2440 North Oceanside Road, Oceanside, NY  11572
Last modified School 5 is a Public school that serves grades 1-6, 12. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 8 out of 10 based on academic quality.